Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with a cat....

(41 Posts)
Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 14:39:49

OK 4 months in a camper van with the cat

So far I am thinking:
Dog crate
Spill free water bowl (?) or do you think he'd drink out of a rabbit water bottle?
I need a littler covered litted tray mine is big enough for a small lion

Teaching him to walk with a harness & lead (when the weather gets warmer)

What else do I need?

I know it's a bit odd but I think it will work - he is an indoor lap cat (Siamese) & he adores DH & I and is rarely more than 6 inches away from us

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 14-Jan-17 14:46:34

My Siberian has a water fountain, where there's a slope that the water runs down and a pool at the bottom. So if you could make or get some kind of permanently running water thing where the reservoir was covered that could be an option.

GardenGeek Sat 14-Jan-17 15:18:10

Just to inspire you...

Some cats love travels, our boy does.

I would try to think of ways to make sure he knows his territory.

If you do let him out put butter on his feet.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:36:58

How is he in a car generally? YouTube has videos showing you how to harness train cats.

I saw two dogs in a huge dog buggy in boots the other day.

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 15:58:35

The cat pictures are lovely

Some sort of water fountain might be good

He was fine to and from holiday at Christmas about three hours each way in a car in a normal carrier

But I think a dog crate or cage would be better long-term

We have a lead and a harness to practice with

dementedpixie Sat 14-Jan-17 16:07:09

I'm sure the butter on the paws thing is a myth. Surely all you would get is greasy paw prints everywhere?

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 16:53:52

Don't let him wander outside. (By himself and without a harness. ) You might feel the temptation coming over you (or DH) at some point but resist it. Even though he's a Siamese and bonded.

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 16:56:02

Do you think a portable outdoor pen might be a good idea

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 17:25:11

I think it would be the start of a slippery slope.

I've taken my own Siamese boys on holiday but 4 months seems far too long to me - is there no way to get round it?

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 17:34:02

I dunno - a cattery? rehoming? seems cruel or at least more cruel

I'd rather he joined in - a nice safe travelling space for him and a gentle walk with us

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 18:15:22

Would this be in the U.K.?

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 18:26:37

Oh yes - not going abroad

& ideally not more than a coupld of hours driving between stops & some lovely camping

I wondered about a pen so we can go out & leave him to snooze in the sun - but maybe not, I suppose he might get stolen

SealSong Sat 14-Jan-17 18:36:12

My friend did this when campervanning around Ireland. All went well until one day when the cat escaped from the van when she opened the door, and was never seen again sad despite much searching etc.
In retrospect she is gutted she even attempted it.

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 18:40:22

Aw how sad

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 18:44:00

4 months? I wouldn't contemplate that myself. I'd arrange a foster. You'd almost certainly lose him in that period.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 18:54:16

Moreover, you need to ask yourself whether he would be truly happy.

I've spent years taking my boys on holidays around the UK - mainly as they were bonded Siamese - but even they weren't uninfluenced by their surroundings. They were happy to be with me as opposed to left at home with a sitter but those were only shortish breaks. I wouldn't do 4 months, myself.

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 19:00:30

Well we can try for a few weekends and see how he goes

If we take him & he gets unhappy I'll bring him back to our cattery

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 19:02:44

I found this

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 19:03:24

You'd possibly be happier yourself, going on such an extended break, without that responsibility on you at all times.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 19:06:50

I hear what they say.

I'd take a dog with me without hesitation but cats - even Siamese - are not dogs. There may be the odd cat who doesn't mind a new place every night but they're few and far between I suspect.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 19:09:27

PS - and you're talking about four months and not a quick weekend away.

Katymac Sat 14-Jan-17 19:12:15

Ome of the sites suggested a homing beacon which might be a good idea

I'm going to have to try it but I will set up a really good contingency plan in case

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jan-17 19:19:54

Ah well.

Shriek Sat 14-Jan-17 19:37:34

Dogs bonded to their pack cats to their territory. I have travelled with dcats and they prefer to be inside with us when doors opened but I wouldnt want to risk travelling with them. Although I have seen lot of caravanners do it but maybe they go to a fixed site each time. The huge risk of them getting out in a strange land would be a big step too far for me and ive often wondered how people do this!!

LivingInMidnight Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:46

This sounds like a really bad idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now