Talk

Advanced search

I can hear a cat crying/meowing - what to do

(25 Posts)
Jecan Fri 27-May-16 11:28:19

We live in a property with overgrown fields in two sides and there is a cat making the saddest sound outside for the last 2 days sad. Not continually but fairly regularly. We saw it sitting on some old farm machinery yesterday making its sad cry but when dd tried to go near it, it ran away. She couldn't see it clear enough to see if it's hurt & couldn't see any kittens.
Last night it was crying right outside the conservatory but it ran away again when I went to open the door. I left it some cooked chicken in a bowl but had to shoo away the neighbors cat that was trying to eat the food!
It's been crying on and off all morning - should I try to leave it out more food? I've got some tuna I could give it. We're not in the UK cause otherwise I think I'd call the RSPCA.
I'm wondering about leaving the conservatory door open and see if it wants to come in - feel so sad that it was out in the rain this morning making that sad cry

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 11:31:28

Are you so sure it's a sad cry? (Cats on heat can make a pretty mournful sound when they're 'calling'.)

hollinhurst84 Fri 27-May-16 11:33:34

Mine likes to sit outside with a concentration face on and fangs out going "owwwwwweeeowwweeee"
It sounds horrendous but there's nothing wrong with him
Maybe try and get a closer look if you can?

kinkytoes Fri 27-May-16 11:33:51

Just keep watching and see what else you can see. If it needs help it obviously knows you're the right family to ask.

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 11:34:58

Maybe it isn't sad but it sounds like it. Off too Google "cats in heat"!!!

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 11:35:41

Is tuna ok? I don't have any other food to give it

hollinhurst84 Fri 27-May-16 11:39:55

Tuna is fine smile

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 11:42:12

Try YouTube, Jecan. (They have videos of cat sounds when they're in heat.) it can sound like the end of the world being announced - almost impossible to ignore. (Which I guess is the whole idea.)

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 11:44:06

Ok that cat had me completely fooled and I've spent the last two days worrying about it but thanks to mumsnet I think the bloody thing is looking for a shag!!!! It can forget about the tuna

kinkytoes Fri 27-May-16 11:45:05

grin

You can look for kittens in a little while then.

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 11:47:46

How old is DD?

(You've got The Explanation to give her. grin)

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 12:55:21

kinkytoes - can you sense our desperation to find kittens? grin

cosietoesie - she's a teenager so well aware now what's going on but have had an interesting conversation with my other younger dc over lunch!

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 13:05:26

I'll bet it was interesting! grin

kinkytoes Fri 27-May-16 14:32:13

I'd be just the same Jecan!

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 14:35:53

Actually, unless she lives with someone close by, she might rather like the thought of your place to have kittens now she's found it. (Food, shelter and all.) Keep your eyes peeled in due course. wink

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 27-May-16 14:57:50

She needs trapping and neutering then.

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 16:07:09

She might belong to someone close by, unfortunately. The OP isn't in the UK and I have a feeling that neutering attitudes vary considerably by location.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 27-May-16 16:47:01

i hadnt thought of that.

Do you think she's feral op?.

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 16:58:34

I don't know if it belongs to anyone - there are 2 other cats I've seen around whose owners I know but I've no idea about this cat. I'd have no chance of catching it - it runs a mile at the site of anyone (altho it was sat on the outside living room windowsill the other day having a nice nosy in our house!!)
Eyes peeled over the next few months for kittens!

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 18:17:57

Ok I'm going crazy - it's howling again from its usual spot on the farm machinery - closest I can get is about 5m away. So I took my phone with me and played the sound of a male cat in heat (no great reaction) but then when it heard the female it was looking all around (didn't get up off its spot tho). So from that scientific experiment I've decided he's a male cat and we're calling him Nico!
He looks healthy so now I know he's just randy I'm going to stop worrying about him.
(While still secretly hoping I'm wrong and it's Nicola and she has kittens!)

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 19:08:31

What sort of colouring is it? smile

Jecan Fri 27-May-16 19:12:34

It's a mousy brown colour with some small black patches. I tried to take a photo before as it went past the conservatory howling loudly but it was too quick for me.

RoosterCogburn Fri 27-May-16 21:03:33

I love your devotion to the cat cause - playing the sound of a male cat and female cat is sheer genius

kinkytoes Fri 27-May-16 21:12:22

playing the sound of a male cat and female cat is sheer genius

Agreed! I wonder how many times (if any) this method of sexing cats has been used?

cozietoesie Fri 27-May-16 21:33:32

It might not be entirely dispositive though......

If you had a girl who knew she was just looking great, she might consider a male cat saying something as unexceptional - but another female coming round and possibly 'interfering'........? grin

It is a brilliant idea though. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now