Talk

Advanced search

Do cats jump out of upstairs windows?

(27 Posts)
PlayingHouse Fri 12-Jun-15 23:20:10

It's warm.

Dh is downstairs with the backdoor open.

I'm upstairs with the window open and a kitten (almost a year) that is obsessed with the open window. It's not as if he can't go out - the back door is open. So why oh why does he love the window so much?

I'm scared he will jump or fall one day. Will he???

thecatneuterer Fri 12-Jun-15 23:23:32

Quick answer: yes they do.

However if there is an easier way out it's unlikely.

Wolfiefan Fri 12-Jun-15 23:23:32

I had to grab our boy cat once and wrestle him back in the house. Growing up we also had a cat who would exit via a bedroom window, climb over the roof and jump down into the garden. Little bugger!!

PlayingHouse Fri 12-Jun-15 23:24:48

I'm scared now. But it's too hot to shut the window.

MyCatHasStaff Fri 12-Jun-15 23:24:53

Yes. One of my cats loves 'up'. When he was a baby he climbed out of the bathroom window onto a ledge, then jumped from our roof to the roof of the house across the alleyway. And back again. He regularly seeks out the highest places to sit or jump from. He is a bloody liability, well insured and beautiful grin

Our upstairs windows only have three settings, shut, trickle and wide open with no catch to stop them being pushed wider open. I have caught a cat teetering on the edge of an open one, with a 20ft drop to concrete, so I only open them fully with the doors shut and cats evicted now, it's a pain as I love windows wide open. It was the same when the DCs were toddlers, but at least you knew they would grow sensible in a few years.

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Jun-15 23:28:52

They do. I actually lost a cat, when she fell out of an 3rd floor window. She died instantly from head injury.

Now I put Flat Cats in my upstairs windows. So I can have the windows open all the time, but no worries about the boys falling out.

stareatthetvscreen Fri 12-Jun-15 23:32:17

yes

SilverBirch2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 23:33:27

If you are going for something specific you can check online whether they have it in stock before you go, helps avoid a wasted trip.

DramaAlpaca Fri 12-Jun-15 23:34:05

Yes they do. As a kitten, DramaCat fell out of DS2's first floor bedroom window, but is still here aged 14, thank goodness. A friend's cat fell out of a second floor window & only survived because she landed on the closed soft top of a convertible car parked conveniently underneath.

SilverBirch2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 23:34:07

Sorry wrong thread!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:40:40

If the house is hot open the loft hatch, it makes a massive difference at night when the temperatures don't fall as much.

You can buy safety latches that open the window a bit more but not enough for them to squeeze through. I think they are sold as child safety fittings.

Amazon would have something.

PlayingHouse Sat 13-Jun-15 10:54:45

The last time I left the loft hatch open a bird came flying through. And then went berserk flapping around upstairs. Was awful

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jun-15 11:06:13

How did a bird get in the loft?.

Corygal Sat 13-Jun-15 11:29:05

Mr C has been in a 4th floor flat with open kitchen window for 6 years and not fallen out, BUT I pack the windowsill with heavy plants to try and put him off getting up there. He does like a bit of brinkmanship, which petrifies me though. The balcony is meshed.

What do you think I should do? Anything? He is a sensible cat. I, however, am nervy about it.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 11:33:52

I had a bird in the loft two days ago, Fluffy - I saw it. Time to call in the roofer again, I think.

MimsyBorogroves Sat 13-Jun-15 11:37:24

Yes. StupidCat has fallen out once, and we've had to rescue him another two times. He'd never think of going out of a downstairs window as he's terrified of outside, but the upstairs ones call his name for some reason.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jun-15 11:38:13

Cory, buy the mesh covers Rubbish linked too, at least you won't worry then.

I need some for the patio doors. To keep him out, not in.

PlayingHouse Sat 13-Jun-15 12:48:36

God knows.

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 13-Jun-15 12:53:00

You can buy a safety screen for your windows. But in my opinion it's not too hot to have the window closed if a kitten could jump through it any moment! Buy an electric fan.

chockbic Sat 13-Jun-15 13:10:10

Sorry about your girl puss, Rubbish x

PlayingHouse Sat 13-Jun-15 13:13:12

I have severe eczema - it's absolutely impossible to sleep with the window shut.

bakingtins Sat 13-Jun-15 13:49:23

Mine does. Preferred method of exiting the house is out of the bathroom window onto the (detached) garage roof. In our old house he used to regularly leap from an upstairs window to ground level. He has a perfectly serviceable cat-flap confused

code Sat 13-Jun-15 15:55:44

Flat cats are good. I'm going to get one for the landing window- everything else is a sash and controllable except this.

RubbishMantra Sun 14-Jun-15 14:26:32

Or you could swap curtains with plantation shutters. I have those on the downstairs front sash window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now