Talk

Advanced search

Raw food for puppy

(6 Posts)
almondsareforevermore Tue 14-Aug-18 20:54:27

I wanted to start our puppy off on raw food, not whole animals but the frozen nuggets. Several people advised me to wait until he was six months old so he’s on a complete puppy food and doing very well.
Now he is over that age I want to add some raw meat, like chicken wings and gradually change over but I worry that he won’t be getting the calcium and other essentials if I abandon the complete food too soon.
Has anyone else done this rather than stuck to boring kibble?

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Tue 14-Aug-18 21:13:32

By nuggets do you mean Nature's Menu? If so, that is a complete food, just in raw form.

I fed raw from about 12 weeks old - I used the raw complete foods (Nutriment, Natural Instinct, Natures Menu, Luna & Me, Cotswold Raw).

We did try wings etc. for treats but battendog just cannot be bothered to chew them so buried them instead. He eats the raw completes well and seems to have done fine on them. I am entirely happy with how he has grown and have no concerns/regrets.

ThisMorningWentBadly Tue 14-Aug-18 21:43:46

Badlypup has always eaten puppy appropriate completes, since she was weaned. P

Chippyway Wed 15-Aug-18 04:50:10

I fed my dog raw from the day I brought her home. Wings, bones, meat etc the lot. I just held back from proper liver until she was a year.

As long as you’re doing it properly your puppy will be fine. Kibble is never as good as raw

almondsareforevermore Wed 15-Aug-18 19:17:06

I wish now that Ihad started on raw food earlier. One reason I didn't is that all the guidelines seem aimed at labradors and our pup is a toy. He still only weighs 4kg and his mouth is tiny, I didn’t think he could manage chunks of meat or bones.

OP’s posts: |
TooManyPuppies Fri 17-Aug-18 08:55:12

My dogs eat raw. We buy frozen patties from the pet store. They are for all ages.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in