We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Milllies Wolfheart

(12 Posts)
user1470840482 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:32:04

Hi I have recently changed from Royal Canin to Millies wolfheart after it being recommended and using the all about dog food website ( milles countryside ) after slowing mixing the two to change over and then going to all millies after 7 days.

However from the first day her poos have gone very soft even when its only 50% in her food and this is following the daily recommended allowance at the smallest amount. She is still hungry and looking for more which wasnt a problem with royal canin and never affected her tummy. She is very skinny and active so I believe she does need more food .

Has anyone else had this or recommend another food I can try?

phillipp Tue 23-Aug-16 15:34:57

Changing their food usually messes with their tummies for a while. How long has she been on it and what type of dog is she?

WyldFyre Tue 23-Aug-16 18:29:51

It will take a while. Especially if she's been used to food with a lot of filler/sugar. Crashes in blood sugar make you hungry

CharminglyGawky Tue 23-Aug-16 18:38:51

I'd leave her on it for a few weeks for it to be a fair test as switching food can cause a bit of a dodgy tum.

But not all foods suit all dogs. My dog does brilliantly on millies but some other foods which are probably just as good don't agree with her. I hope it works for you millies is so convenient and they need so little a day!

MsAtomicBomb Tue 23-Aug-16 19:45:19

Have you tried lowering the ratio of Millie's to old food until her poos are better and then keeping at that for a couple of days before increasing by 10%? Sometimes you have to increase it very very slowly.

Having said that my dog never got on with Millie's for the same reason as yours. He is on Orijen six fish now and doing much better. All dogs are individuals and it can be trial and error finding a good food which suits.

user1470840482 Tue 23-Aug-16 20:21:18

Yes I have tried reducing it back down so will keep doing that , think I hoped it would be straightforward as its a much better food !
It's been a week she's been on up to half and half so far .

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 23-Aug-16 23:06:23

My dog does well on all Millie's except the turkey one. For some reason turkey seems to upset his tummy.

Floralnomad Tue 23-Aug-16 23:21:32

Did you move from a similar food ie fish based / lamb based ?

user1470840482 Wed 24-Aug-16 06:58:08

I had read turkey can cause problems with a lot of dogs hence chose the duck to try first .
The previous food was Royal canin puppy so will check its main ingredients as I'm not sure! I was focused on finding a new food that I hadn't thought about what was in that as I know it isn't great for them .

Floralnomad Wed 24-Aug-16 09:00:26

If I were you I'd ring Millies and ask them for some advice they are very helpful and might point you in the direction of something suitable .

user1470840482 Wed 24-Aug-16 10:19:03

I have spoken to Millie they got back to me this morning. Their customer service is great and they have also suggested keeping going with for another week or so to see if it settles down.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 24-Aug-16 13:52:31

Food is a horses for courses thing there is no one food that suits every dog. Whilst I love Millie's for my dog it may not be the right one for your dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now