Talk

Advanced search

Cbeebies: Numberjacks

(21 Posts)
frecklyspeckly Thu 11-Jun-09 21:51:11

Is it just me or does anyone else find the maths a little complex for pre-schoolers at times?

Okay, what I am trying to say is I find numberjacks not easy to follow blush I mean the plot is all over the place is it not? wtf the scary numbertaker wondering around?

Perhaps if I set some time aside to actually watch an episode instead of doing other things with it on in the corner I may understand it?

Ninkynork Thu 11-Jun-09 21:53:17

I need to do this too, DS aged 2 adores it and I don't know why. It can't be the maths side of it he's far too young. Perhaps it's the rather dramatic music!

giddykipper Thu 11-Jun-09 21:53:39

DS is 2 but is starting to recognise the different numbers from it.

Meglet Thu 11-Jun-09 21:55:34

i don't 'get' the number part of it either, maybe it makes sense to young children. it was all about cubes today - multiplying by 4 / square roots hmm.....???

littleboyblue Thu 11-Jun-09 22:00:39

My ds1, coming up 2, is quite frightened of this program, especially the floating head thing that talks in riddles, ds runs from the room

Portofino Thu 11-Jun-09 22:05:17

My dd always loved this, and certainly started to recognise all the numbers. Maths by osmosis!

frecklyspeckly Thu 11-Jun-09 22:07:16

So glad it wasn't just me. Floating head horrendous and square roots even more so. 'Brain drain, brain drain'... whats all that about?

I did however find some gentle amusement when the shit stirring spoon (not real name, obv.) was making things like shoes and and hats and plates go bigger and smaller.

What a mentally bankrupt world I have found myself in post dd.

beardydad Thu 11-Jun-09 22:36:59

We're all a bit scared by the number 0 tbh. It turns up and things go tits up very quickly. Ever tried to explain the whole concept of zero and 'nothing' to a dc?
The Numbertaker gives me the bloody Fear.

LupusinaLlamasuit Thu 11-Jun-09 22:44:02

Terrifying programme. Just terrifying though, not mathematically so. And really very, very badly made and plotted. Hate it.

FaintlyMacabre Thu 11-Jun-09 22:49:32

It somehow manages to be both dull and frightening, which is quite a feat.

oneforward20back Thu 11-Jun-09 23:01:29

frecklyspeckly - believe its "brain gain"

Ds(4) used to love it but has moved on. He would completely get the square and square root thing (this week flipant reply to the fact he thought he knew everything -seriously it gets annoying after 20mins of it being yelled).

Wondered if it moved on so it could be used a resource for school kids?

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 11-Jun-09 23:03:21

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 11-Jun-09 23:03:43

Message withdrawn

SalopianGirl Fri 12-Jun-09 15:39:17

When my DD was 5 she would quite happily watch the likes of Dr.Who no problem.However when Numberjacks came on she would start to panic & plead,"please mummy turn it off"!

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 12-Jun-09 15:50:09

DD loves the number 3 because it is pink.

I have a friend with synaesthesia who sees all numbers as being different colours (so she can eg remember telephone numbers by visualising what colour they are). Must remember to ask her if Numberjacks works for her or if the colours are wrong so it grates.

I used to have a mad philosophy lecturer and I remember one tutorial where he said 'What would you think if you looked out of the window and saw the number 2 walking across the quad?' He sadly died of cancer but whenever I watch Numberjacks I think of him affectionately smile

chosenone Sun 14-Jun-09 08:42:57

Mine are huge numberjacks fans, and we get the comicblush. DS nearly 4 has always liked it but used to be scared of spooky spoon (the shit stirrer)its written and devised by a numeracy consultant within education and I think its really helped with learning numbers my DD 2 has picked up numbers really well! I think its odd how all the cafe scenes are filmed in the corner of the production teams canteen! The songs are quite good tbh (how sad am I) blush

nomorecake Sun 14-Jun-09 16:23:24

the baddies are so sinister and scary, the number catcher, evil spoon thing shape japer with revolving eyes and horrible theme tune.

brain gain is more like brain drain.

ds (nearly 2) has always loved it though.

i think all the real world scenes were filmed in an afternoon, they're wearing the same clothes and in the same places in every program, like the older lady (also in rogue traders!) in the garden centre!

hmm where did my ife go?

Frasersmum123 Wed 17-Jun-09 16:12:56

My DS loves it - we even have a couple of DVD's blush

cyteen Thu 18-Jun-09 13:02:04

Am really trying not to lol @ 'shit stirring spoon' grin

Numberjacks does my head in completely. I just can't see why it exists.

J18a Fri 19-Jun-09 15:41:43

My 3 year old loves it, has learnt all her numbers from it and is now finding numbers when out and about. Nothing wrong with Numberjacks as far as I'm concerned- it's aimed at the children and not us!

Botbot Fri 19-Jun-09 16:13:10

DD used to love it - in fact the first two-word phrase she ever said was 'cacky boon' (meaning Spooky shit-stirring Spoon, of course). Now (coming up to 3) she's terrified of it, and hares out of the room whenever it's on. It taught her all her numbers by 2.3 though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now