Talk

Advanced search

Britains Biggest Hoarders

(10 Posts)
LadyBeagleEyes Thu 09-May-13 21:38:43

What a sad programme.
And what a lovely daughter that girl is, I just want to hug her.
I hope it's got a happy ending.

jiggles01 Thu 09-May-13 21:59:50

Vicky is a smashing young lady .... Great to see the mum smile !!!

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 09-May-13 22:13:53

How brilliant it would be if she got a singing career, she so deserves it over so many of the X factor types with their sob stories.

Quangle Thu 09-May-13 22:21:47

She seemed lovely. And Jasmine ? obviously really gets the issue and is not judgmental. Which is hard because some of this seems to verge on abuse and children becoming carers for very unwell parents. I understand that the hoarders are not in control of their behaviour but there's a softly softly approach that you probably wouldn't take with eg an alcoholic parent whose drinking had caused the children to lose their sense of security at home.

Maryz Fri 10-May-13 08:33:39

I watched this last night, nearly in tears.

My Granny was like this - or at least tried to be. Her children just ruthlessly overrode her and chucked things out. I wonder which is best? Granny hated them doing it, but I suspect left to her own devices would have been just like the old lady.

I did wonder, though, how long the tent was allowed to be in the back garden, because she obviously had no intention of chucking anything at all.

Vicky is great.

And the preview bit of next week - a woman looking around a completely full room and saying "none of this is rubbish" shock

Quangle - that's an interesting analogy, comparing it to alcoholism. It makes me feel slightly better about my Granny.

Davros Fri 10-May-13 08:50:31

I read in the Radio Times that the presenter's mother was a hoarder so she has special insight

Maryz Fri 10-May-13 08:53:55

Yes, there was a bit about her mother last night on the programme.

NotGoodNotBad Fri 10-May-13 09:38:38

There was a programme on Jasmine's mother a while ago - amongst the usual mountains of stuff she had boxes and boxes of "action figures" (broken Barbies etc.) that she couldn't bear to get rid of. Jasmine and her other siblings were trying to get her to deal with the mountains of stuff.

I just don't know how people can cope with living like that - either the hoarders or their families.

OhLori Fri 10-May-13 10:21:38

I was actually fascinated by this issue for a while. Some of the hoarders seemed very angry people, often controlling and hateful to their families. Others just seemed lost and unable to get anything together. But unfortunately I watched some of the extreme American hoarder programmes where a few of the hoarders were so extreme e.g. human excrement it made me feel too ill to watch anymore. Re. the UK programmes, which are done more sympathetically I feel, some of the hoarders seem to be more able to respond to treatment more than others.

Vivacia Fri 10-May-13 18:00:46

That's an interesting interpretation OhLori. Why do you think they hate their families? The effect of hoarding on their families seems selfisha and hurtful but incidental to me.

I thought Vicky had the patience of a saint with Olive. It would have driven me insane - I just wanted to go in to her house and blitz it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now