Talk

Advanced search

under-15s going to gig unaccompanied - will they check ID?

(21 Posts)
Garon Tue 06-Oct-15 21:29:30

14-yr-old DS would like Motorhead tickets for Xmas but doesn't want to go with his old mum (funnily enough). Venue says they have to be 15 to go unaccompanied. He's 6 foot tall and easily looks 15 - is he likely to get asked for ID?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 06-Oct-15 21:32:26

Which venue? Birmingham and London tend to be hot on checking, in my experience, other venues not as much.

Garon Tue 06-Oct-15 21:33:27

Hammersmith Odeon, or Apollo i think it's called nowadays...

ClashCityRocker Tue 06-Oct-15 21:34:40

they were checking last time I went to MEN arena.

Could you or an adult book a seated ticket elsewhere?

BertieBotts Tue 06-Oct-15 21:36:39

For 15 I think it's fairly unlikely, because most 15 year olds don't have ID yet. But I might be out of date. It's been ages since I've been to a gig!

Love the idea of the seated ticket elsewhere - but perhaps he also doesn't want to wait in the queue with you?

ClashCityRocker Tue 06-Oct-15 21:37:09

sorry that should say 'another adult'.

Back in the halcyon days of my youth, we used to just bag an adult outside and get them to walk through with us. Which was probably a risky thing to do.

Garon Tue 06-Oct-15 21:41:27

i have suggested it but he thinks that's silly. I went to my first gig there -without grown-ups - when I was 12 - Duran Duran...

Garon Tue 06-Oct-15 21:43:52

That is a good idea ClashCityRocker! I'm also wondering whether i should insist they get seated upstairs tickets instead of the standing mosh-pit downstairs ones - they haven't been to anything like this before

Garon Tue 06-Oct-15 21:44:47

I meant he thought me going and sitting elsewhere was silly, haven't tried him on the danger stranger idea

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 07-Oct-15 13:26:07

Dd was at a gig at the Arena in Aberdeen at the weekend, it was for over 14s and they didn't check.

kslatts Thu 08-Oct-15 00:29:32

My dd has been to a couple of gigs in london and hasn't had a problem getting in, she is 13 usually goes in a group of about 4 or 5 girls. I normally travel to the venue with them and then wait nearby in case they have problems.

JoelyB Tue 20-Oct-15 08:06:17

Out of interest, how would a 15yo prove their age? My daughter went to a 16+ gig ( in the sticks mind you) at 15 and there was no problem. I can't see how they'd check borderline cases?

bigTillyMint Tue 20-Oct-15 09:36:35

DD went to a couple of gigs in London O2 at 14 and they got asked for ID, but managed to sweet-talk the security into letting them in! Many places insist on U-14's or whatever sitting in the seated bit, ie not standing. But there's no seating at the Hammersmith Apollo IIRC - my friend and I took our girls to a gig there when they were 12/13.

mumeeee Tue 20-Oct-15 14:31:18

Most venues won't let under 15s have standing tickets and yes they often check ID.

PestoSwimissimos Tue 20-Oct-15 14:33:51

JoelyB - with their passport or birth certificate

DadOnIce Tue 20-Oct-15 14:34:21

The Hammersmith Apollo is (almost?) all seating. I can confirm this from having gone there last year. It's a very old-fashioned, theatre-like venue.

bigTillyMint Tue 20-Oct-15 15:01:06

Oh yes - I am confusing it with Shepherds Bush Empire!

I even went there (HA) about a year ago - very safe and old-fashioned - not good for dancing and no chance of a mosh-pitgrin

WeAreEternal Tue 20-Oct-15 15:15:41

"For standing tickets they will check ID of anyone who looks under 18, but they will be fine with seating tickets.
However, IIWM I would go but just book a seat elsewhere and agree to pretend we don't know one another"

*from a friends DD who works at the Apollo.

Garon Tue 10-Nov-15 10:48:20

Thanks WeAreEternal - very useful!
The whole of downstairs will be standing for this gig - we'll have to see what we can do... I think me and DH will be on standby to use their tickets if they can't get in!

yeOldeTrout Tue 10-Nov-15 15:37:06

DS & mate bagged a random adult to go in with; it worked out fine.

Groovee Tue 10-Nov-15 15:41:23

My Dd went to Ella Eyre and the tickets said under 16's need accompanied but they got in and no questions asked X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: