Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Jack Wills

(17 Posts)
VictoriaB1 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:09:13

Jack wills isn't a brand just for teenagers is it? I saw a few nice t shirts online (they had a very discreet logo) and a few nice pieces for the summer. Is the Clothing good quality, or overpriced?
I've never ordered from there before, and I want to know that I'm not wasting my money!

VanessaShanessaJenkins Thu 22-Feb-18 17:14:12

I'm 31 and have a few items from there. I love them and they are really good quality.

expatmigrant Thu 22-Feb-18 17:24:28

Was in there just the other day and bought a Trench. Really good quality and they seem to be coming away from the big Jack Wills logo. Assume that they may want to market to a wider age range. They did have same really nice t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Squirrels765 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:26:04

I’m nearly 40 and have a lot of stuff from there BUT I feel the quality’s gone down hill
I’ve got classic t shirts, hoodies and outerwear from 6 or 7 years ago and they still look good, but recent items I’ve bought have gone bobbly and mis-shapen after a couple of wears,
So tbh I hardly buy from there anymore, it’s not so bad in store as you can check the quality but ordering online is a mine field

VictoriaB1 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:38:52

Thank you for your replies! @Squirrels765 oh dear, what items do you think are notable for their bad quality? I want to know what to avoid!

GrannyGrissle Thu 22-Feb-18 20:03:08

I was bought some hoodies from Jack Wills and the quality was awful. Looked tatty really quickly and ended up in the rag bin within 3 or 4 months. I love a good charity shop rummage and all the Jack Wills cast offs look really tired in a way other brands don't. All hype in my experience.

AuntieStella Thu 22-Feb-18 20:06:34

It's always limiting to pigeonhole things by age.

I don't like the stuff with their name emblazoned all over it. But loads of their stuff is nice. Maybe I've been lucky because I've not had any quality shockers. Mind you, I do always shop in store.

Squirrels765 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:37:45

Hoodies, sweatshirts and jumpers, check them out in the shop, some are nice thick quality material, others are thin and starting to bobble before they've even left the shop
T shirts can be terribly thin, but some are ok, it's so hit and miss, maybe they have different suppliers for different items, I don't know
My older coats and gillets are filled with down, now not so many are, so best to check the labels
They still have nice things but you need to pick and choose carefully

italiancortado Thu 22-Feb-18 20:39:52

DD16 says it's for 12yo's shock

I think it looks fine on adults!

Klobuchar Thu 22-Feb-18 20:40:17

Isn’t it a bit Geordie Shore?

VictoriaB1 Fri 23-Feb-18 08:55:08

Thanks for your replies...I'll make sure to go in store to look at the items in person!
Is jack wills a bit geordie shore? I'm not sure, I didn't think it was popular with the cast members?

RollTopBath Fri 23-Feb-18 08:57:50

My husband wears Jack Wills trunks. He’s forever muddling them up with our son’s. He has their Paj bottoms too. He’s not a teenager.

SuperBeagle Fri 23-Feb-18 08:59:36

I'm early 30s and have things from Jack Wills.

I'm Australian, so it has no stigma here/doesn't exist as a brand.

I have several dresses and a couple of tops. I don't wear hoodies, so that sort of thing would never draw me in.

ChocolateWombat Fri 23-Feb-18 09:04:14

Like a lot of these brands, they start of aimed at older teenagers and then slide down the age groups in appeal and also in quality.

Jack Wills was originally aimed at students and early 20s. In my experience it does tend to be 12 year olds and early teens now that like it and older teens think it's beneath them. Things like all those Boots JAck Wills toiletry sets at Christmas make it seem less luxury and covetable if your granny can buy it for their 10 year old grandchild.

Of course anyone can wear it. Hoodies, t shirts etc and worn by people of lots of ages and it is the kind of stuff that lots of ages will feel comfortable in. Whether you like the branding is a personal preference. I agree that lots of firms are going for smaller, less in your face logos. Perhaps it's because there is more recognition that true luxury brands don't need the shout their name with big logos. I suspect wearers of Jack Wills actually want people to know they are wearing Jakck Wills so logos won't become so tiny no-one can see them.

FreeButtonBee Fri 23-Feb-18 09:17:02

some of their stuff is great; I got a fabulous oversized triangle shaped sweatshirt last year which has been vomited on, boil washed and tumbled dried weekly and still looks great. Tiny logo on the side. Also have a lovely soft light cotton blouse which is the right side of flimsy - a hard balance to get. The mens pjs are lovely and DH also likes the mens tshirts. Other stuff is terrible quality. You just have to be picky - it's no better than Primark and no worse than M&S on that front. I wouldn't wear the logo'd stuff personally but that seems to be the stuff aimed at teenagers (and of a lower quality as a result...)

VictoriaB1 Fri 23-Feb-18 09:32:49

Yes, I don't want one of their hoodies. I liked a striped t shirt with a tiny logo on for summe,r hope it's not too flimsy and bad quality! And hopefully the embroidered logo blends in to the top!

I didn't think teens wore it anymore, I thought mostly adults wear it now. I saw a 70 year old try on a black floral patterned shirt dress in there the other day - she looked fab!

Dancergirl Fri 23-Feb-18 10:05:26

I'm in my 40s and buy from JW! Their high-waisted skinny jeans are amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: