Talk

Advanced search

Best home dye kits

(17 Posts)
splendidisolation Tue 19-Sep-17 08:35:34

Sick of shelling oit for hairdressers for meh results that dont really last.

I'm just wanting to cover a little grey and generally slightly darken my colour.

What home dye kit do you trust/reach for/get good results with?

Anything to look out for when choosing one in terms of being kind on hair?

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Sep-17 08:38:20

Don't bother with box dye.
Go online and order majirel and mix at home.
They have a good range of colours, are longer lasting and are easier to apply if you mix with a cream peroxide.
Lots of threads about it on here if you search.

Falconhoof1 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:44:45

I like Excellence by L'Oréal.

splendidisolation Tue 19-Sep-17 08:46:28

Falcon that's interesting because from the research I've done they seem to be a hit with reviewers. What do you like about it?

splendidisolation Tue 19-Sep-17 08:46:46

Will investigate Hey!

Falconhoof1 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:24:10

I'm sorry it's Preference I like! I always get them mixed up. I think that's the one you do on damp hair so it goes further (I can use one box rather than 2!) And I just like the colour I use. It's an ash blonde one.

Lotsofsausage Wed 20-Sep-17 11:08:56

I've always used clairol loving care. Get loads of compliments on my colour. And they sell root touch up kits so you don't have to do a full application every time, which ain't good for your hair! I just do my t zone every 4-6 weeks and a full application about 3x per year.

PinglePongle Wed 20-Sep-17 12:27:19

John Frieda foam is really good

Miracle33 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:46:28

I got sick of hairdressers too so have been using L'Oréal Excellence in Natural Black, does the job, yes it's a bit of a chore and a bit messy but once it's done I love it.

Covers the greys, nice shine and saves me £80 each time I would have spent at the salon.

Squashit Wed 20-Sep-17 13:43:29

Another vote for Majirel. A dye that actually covers the grey and leaves the hair in excellent condition. Lots more shades too than high street dyes and it is thicker so very easy to use.

Haffiana Wed 20-Sep-17 16:11:04

Excellence user here too. I think I have tried them all, and this leaves my hair in excellent condition (thickens my hair slightly as well!) and isn't messy or drippy. I am more than 50% grey and it covers it perfectly.

Haffiana Wed 20-Sep-17 16:20:40

I am guessing that Majirel is the same as Excellence in a pro formulation, ie more shades.

Can someone who uses it give us some simple directions for covering grey?

Squashit Wed 20-Sep-17 16:44:15

This is what you need-

Tint brush
Tint bowl (plastic)
Gloves
Jerome Russell 30 vol peroxide 75ml bottle
Majirel 50ml

Simply mix it up and whack it on for 30 mins. If you want to mix a smaller amount of Majirel because you are just doing the roots you need 1 part Majirel to 1.5 parts peroxide. Use plastic stuff not metal for measuring.

Do a test first to make sure you are not allergic I never do

Re colours 10 is the lightest blonde and 1 is black.

The second and sometimes third numbers are about the tone so
5.1 would be medium ash brown
5.3 would be medium golden brown
5.5 - medium auburn brown
5.35 - would be golden brown with a slightly redder cast etc. so more chestnut in tone.

Look at google to get an idea of shades- there are lots of charts there.

splendidisolation Thu 21-Sep-17 14:41:34

Thanks guys I ended up using Excellence and its great!

Now all I need to do next is trim my hair myself 😁

Unicorn81 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:43:31

Maybe for next time you can try John Frieda foam, its so easy to use and great coverage.

Ladybirdbookworm Fri 22-Sep-17 01:18:41

Another vote here for john Frieda

PerspicaciaTick Fri 22-Sep-17 02:18:41

I've tried a lot of box dyes but for the last couple of years have stuck with Superdrug's own brand Colour Radiance in Warm Chocolate Brown. My hairdresser likes it better on me than some other brands. It is easy to use and my hair is in lovely condition. It covers well too.
And it only costs about £3.50 as it is always on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now