Talk

Advanced search

Help me buy retin A in Spain.

(25 Posts)
ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 10:48:16

Normally get private prescription but thought I could buy otc in Spain. None of the pharmacies seem to recognise 'retin A' though, although I don't think it's a language problem as they have all guided me to anti-aging skincare brands on the shelves. Is it called something else here? Should have brought a tube from home but didn't plan to use it in sun. Any idea what I should ask for?

MrsEricBana Tue 04-Jul-17 10:51:21

I can't help I'm afraid but just wondered which brand you use at home as I'm interested in this. Thanks. Hope you get some there.

alwaysthepessimist Tue 04-Jul-17 10:53:59

according to google it is called tretinion topical

alwaysthepessimist Tue 04-Jul-17 10:54:19

sorry spelt it wrong - tretinoin topical

LostWithoutALight Tue 04-Jul-17 10:54:37

Did you use the word tretinoin? Maybe their brand name for it is different.

Could you just get some online shipped to you in Spain instead? I've seen it on eBay here.

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 10:54:39

At home it just says retinA on the tube. The actual brand seems to vary depending on what pharmacy I have the prescription made up in, but 9 times out of 10 it looks like generic packaging.

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 10:57:00

Tretinoin. That was the word I was trying to remember. I was just asking for retin A. Thanks!

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 11:06:12

Lost, I'm only here on holiday, just wanted to avoid the costs of another private consultation, so was going to take a few tubes home. Far too scared to buy on eBay.

CoconutAmericano Tue 04-Jul-17 13:14:02

Its called retrides in Spain

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Tue 04-Jul-17 13:46:56

This is it. Available in same strengths as at home.

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 15:10:42

Thank you so much, coconut and cabbage. I will be straight back to the pharmacy in the morning. Not sure why asking for retin A didn't prompt them to offer that, when they twigged straight away that is was skincare I wanted, but I will stock up now. Given that it's £120 for the consultation and private prescription fee at home, plus the cost of the actual cream, I may go to multiple pharmacies! I'm on 0.05 at home - being using it for about 8 months, no problems. Is it worth going onto the 0.1 do you think, or should I just stick with what's working?

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Tue 04-Jul-17 15:29:06

Maybe you could get one tube of 0.1 and just use it once a week to begin with. The tube in the pic above I've had for over a year as I only use it every other day, and very sparingly. I live in Spain so have to be really careful with the factor 50!

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Tue 04-Jul-17 15:30:28

Oh, and most pharmacies will be happy to sell you a tube or two but if not just grow a thick skin and try elsewhere.

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 17:18:28

Thank you, Cabbage. No problem getting it once I had the local name. The pharmacist has ordered a second tube of .05 and a tube of 0.1 for me to pick up tomorrow as well.

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 17:22:05

She laughed when I showed her your photo, and said 'oh yes, important souvenir for British tourist ladies'.

burnishedsilver Tue 04-Jul-17 17:32:13

Retrides in Spain, Airol in Greece and Italy. The pharmacist was right. Definitely a popular holiday souvenir.

GirlInTheDirtyShirt Tue 04-Jul-17 17:40:47

Person living in Spain here. What is this for? Should I go and buy myself some? Will it make me beautiful??

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Tue 04-Jul-17 17:49:27

Yay! Glad you got some.

donajimena Tue 04-Jul-17 17:51:25

Ooh I'm off to Spain soon should I buy some?

ilovecherries Tue 04-Jul-17 18:11:00

It's an anti aging skin care product. Prescription only in the uk (and I imagine private prescription, wouldn't dare ask my gp for an NHS one!) - I was prescribed my first tube about 18 months ago, used the .025 for a year, then about 8 months ago went up to .05 strength. I was initially prescribed it when I saw a dermatologist for something else, and he suggested it would be good for my skin to even out the texture. Not suitable during pregnancy (but I'm post menopausal anyway) and you must use a sun block with it. It has definitely made a vast difference to my skin texture and reduced some age spots (reason I'd gone to see him was I was worried that a warty sort of age spot on my nose was a rodent ulcer). I paid 15 Euros for a tube in Spain, at home I was £120 to see the dermatologist each time and get the prescription, then, I think about another £30 for the tube. You need a tiny amount, and as I said, sunscreen is vital.

ninnando Tue 04-Jul-17 19:26:52

Does anyone know if you can get the equivalent in France?

Loult234 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:53:41

Has anyone found a reputable site to order Tretinoin to the UK? All the ones I have found require a Bank Transfer, which I don’t feel comfortable doing!

LunaTheCat Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:52

Ohh thank you. Off to Spain next year

Jaymo10 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:38:14

I buy mine here. Never any problems: www.farmaciaenandorra.com

Woozi Wed 11-Apr-18 11:36:29

Hi Jaymo10 do you order it over the Internet or do you go to the pharmacy itself?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: