Balayage

(66 Posts)
Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 19-Mar-17 09:49:01

Has anyone had this? I've always had foil highlights but am considering this for a more natural look. I'd you've had it done have you been pleased with the results?

Jmangel Sun 19-Mar-17 09:56:10

Really really pleased - never going back to block colour or highlights from root again - take pictures of what you like to a good colourist who does balayage regularly. Where do you live? If near Manchester, Sammy at Reuben Wood is excellent.

thethoughtfox Sun 19-Mar-17 10:13:27

Changed my life. You can afford to go to an even more swanky hairdresser because you don't need to go so often. I went 6 months between hair appointments and I only had to go back because a few greys were starting to show. Choose one that uses Olapex to mix in with the colour so it doesn't damage your hair.

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 19-Mar-17 10:13:29

I live in London but family live in Norwich and am there next week so was considering going somewhere there as might be cheaper.

Softkitty2 Sun 19-Mar-17 11:05:45

Despina at the michael john salon in knightbridge, you can look at her instagram to see her work. She does use olaplex.. Also nicky lazou is also very good-- she is in the midlands but does come to london. They are pricey but worth it

imjessie Sun 19-Mar-17 11:41:58

Yep , I've had it for about 2 years . I love it ! So much nicer than block highlights !

Tartle Sun 19-Mar-17 13:01:10

Just had it done this week. Love it! Looks so natural!

TomHardyOvulationConundrum Sun 19-Mar-17 14:00:13

I'm considering this. Would any of you post some (anonymised) photos so I can see what it looks like 'in real life' iykwim?!

DavetheCat2001 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:31:41

Had mine done last week, I posted on here about it in fact.

Love it.

TomHardyOvulationConundrum Sun 19-Mar-17 14:34:34

Looks great Dave! I would be more on the blonde end of the spectrum though. Natural colour is mousy light brown.

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 19-Mar-17 14:42:34

That looks lovely. I'm also blonder, natural colour is mousy blonde

DavetheCat2001 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:43:00

I went from years upon years of flat box red dye, so really left it in the colourists hands re the shades.

I think possibly I would go a bit lighter in places myself when I do eventually go back, but really love the technique. Looks so much more natural than standard foil highlights.

DavetheCat2001 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:43:43

This was what I went from!

MrsGsnow18 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:55:49

i desperately need my hair coloured and have been thinking about Balayage. I def want something much more natural looking than my foil highlights. There are amazing pictures on Pinterest!

greeeen Sun 19-Mar-17 15:01:37

I had it done months ago and I love it. Much easier to maintain than highlights that would have roots already.

Glossolalia Sun 19-Mar-17 15:03:57

These are my dream balayage looks. I have only recently started looking at it as a hot style and haven't found anyone in the local area who I would trust

Glossolalia Sun 19-Mar-17 15:05:08

A few more that I like.

DavetheCat2001 Sun 19-Mar-17 15:10:25

This was the picture I took into my hairdresser.

TomHardyOvulationConundrum Sun 19-Mar-17 15:19:51

Do you think it works as a look with straight hair? I haven't got time to create waves on a daily basis (and always get it slightly wrong too).

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 19-Mar-17 15:36:16

I love that blonde one. Dave I can't believe the transformation. Yes I was wondering why they never show it with straight hair. Does it not look as good?

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 19-Mar-17 15:36:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DavetheCat2001 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:35:27

I think the idea is it is supposed to look 'sun lightened' and so works on hair that isn't too styled, even though getting those lovely soft waves can be labour intensive!

I think it does look good on straightened hair too though, as it isn't as 'stripy' as traditional highlights, so works on all types of hair.

TomHardyOvulationConundrum Sun 19-Mar-17 16:39:42

I use a Babyliss Big Hair so not straightened as such just not wavy. My hair refuses to either be that lovely tousled/wavy way or properly straight. Just somewhere in the unsatisfactory middle hmm. It's the thought of getting away from that stripy look which is so appealing.

imjessie Sun 19-Mar-17 17:00:22

My hair looks like gloss 's picture . My hairdresser is amazing though .. !

AutumnEve Sun 19-Mar-17 17:07:21

This is all very new to me (never heard of balayage!). Is it the same process as highlights but just less? Fewer foils?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now