Talk

Advanced search

Is it too late to put on weight?

(12 Posts)
faffalotty Wed 26-Oct-16 09:26:28

Not sure which topic this belongs in, but it is vaguely beauty related.

I've lost weight recently, due to stress, and it is noticeable on my face and neck. I'm 47 and I feel that it has really aged me. I am weight training to try and bulk up a bit all over as I feel a bit too scrawny/saggy (charming picture I am painting here!) but I feel there's is not really anything I can do about my face, is there?

If I eat more, I'm sure the weight will just go to my stomach as it usually does.

I'm not usually vain, but as my self-esteem has taken a battering recently I would like to feel good about how I look.

faffalotty Wed 26-Oct-16 09:28:46

Just to explain the title - I mean am I too old to put weight on my face?

GinAndOnIt Wed 26-Oct-16 09:31:55

I have been in your situation OP, for many years. All attempts to gain weight did exactly as you say and went straight to tummy area. Weight training did help a bit, but again, not for face. The only thing that has really helped me gain more weight to face/neck area is when I've been genuinely happy and content. I can now judge my state of mind by how bony my collar bone area is looking!

Sorry, I know this isn't helpful, but just letting you know my experience, so you don't get into binge eating habits, or obsess about how your face looks.

I feel for you, because there's nothing worse than not being happy in your own skin. I also found a complete lack of sympathy from others with a sort of 'oh poor you, you can't gain weight' attitude. flowers

Jmangel Wed 26-Oct-16 10:19:38

Oh this is me too - difficult to talk in RL about it as it seems to piss people off but over the last 3 weeks I have lost the 5 pounds I successfully put on over the year which takes me back to under 8 stone - a place I said I was never going to visit again. Here spooning a huge bowl of creamy porridge with dates in but appetite isn't great after having the horrible virus everyone seems to have had.
My face definitely looks more saggy - I fear fillers are the only option.

rightknockered Wed 26-Oct-16 10:25:02

This is going to sound so bizarre, but, I found that a period of stress left my face looking tired. It may be a bit to do with weight loss. But I think smiling and generally spending less time being miserable and scowly has helped. Smiling works out the muscles of the face, and I'm sure gives some lift. I now do some facial exercises and they help a lot.

Mamia15 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:26:22

I have this issue too...I am now careful about not losing weight as i look so much older when too skinny but don't want to put on weight either as being a slim apple shape, extra weight will go straight to my torso.

GinAndOnIt Wed 26-Oct-16 10:29:35

When I was younger jman and tried to put on weight, I would manage a few pounds and then get a stomach bug every single time and lose half a stone. It used to drive me up the wall because I was desperate to give blood, but could never get to the minimum weight.

I have learnt eventually over the years to stop worrying about it, but that's a hard place to get to, I think. It doesn't help at all when you are constantly reading how skinny isn't attractive. (I don't agree with that statement, obviously, but it is carted out a lot)

botemp Wed 26-Oct-16 10:40:53

Weight is usually stored fat loss, volume loss in your face when you age is not producing collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid at the rate it once used to. Though I suspect with general weight loss you've lost a bit of fat in the face and now the slowed production that contributes to youthful looking skin and cell turnover rate becomes suddenly more noticeable.

I'm not a proponent of them but fillers are the only quick fix thing that would restore some of the volume loss but it generally doesn't look natural at all and is a bit of a slippery slope into the world of cosmetic procedures.

Retin-A increases the production of elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid. It is prescription only, usually under the supervision of a dermatologist when used for anti-ageing purposes. Retinol is the weaker OTC cousin, whilst effective not as effective as Retin-A. It is imperative you use a separate SPF50 with both, without it you will age faster. Retin-A isn't for everyone, it can be highly irritating and drying so I'd not attempt if you have sensitive skin. Retinol does come in more gentle versions these days, a potent yet not too irritating version is made by The Ordinary (2% Advanced Retinoid) and I'd suggest pairing that with their Vitamin C Suspension 23% to boost the effect of the Retinol but also aids with hyperpigmentation, fine lines and is collagen stimulating too. The reason most of us skincare fanatics like the Ordinary is down to their low prices, but if you're not that ingredient savvy it's a very difficult line to come to grips with so please avoid the temptation to buy it all and slap it on hoping for the best.

Retin-A or the Retinol/Vit C combo aren't going to be overnight game changers. 2 weeks are necessary to see if you're tolerating the product, first signs of effect can't be evaluated till at least 6 weeks and any significant improvement isn't really visible until the six month mark. Nor, are these products magically going to return you to a youthful 20 year old, it is merely a strategy of getting the best possible version of you as you are now without surgery/injections with slightly firmer, less wrinkly skin.

Jmangel Wed 26-Oct-16 11:13:05

Botemp - how do you not have your own skincare blog - or maybe you do? Your skincare knowledge astounds me. You should be the next CH!
Sadly I never get anywhere with retinol - rosacea, acne prone skin which doesn't tolerate it even with once weekly then twice weekly gradual situation. Not properly tried ascorbic acid as had only thought it was for hyperpigmentation which I don't have but may give it a whirl if it also helps with fine lines.
Which SPF 50 would you rec for oily acne prone skin - preferably physical?

botemp Wed 26-Oct-16 11:24:22

Physical, if you have the money for Skinceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 is good but pricey. Clinique recently released on that's quite sheer and fluid as well. The Biore Watery Essence is usually the acne/oily prone choice for the chemical option but maybe you've tried that one already?

I don't really see the point of a skincare blog, despite reading up on the science I'm not sciencey and would only be regurgitating other people's work (probably butchering it up as I go along) and my face could never handle the ridiculous amount of products skincare bloggers go through, don't think I'd want to either. Happy to share whatever on MN just fine smile.

You might want to wait out the other Vit C offerings from the Ordinary if you have rosacea, while L-AA is very effective it's potentially quite irritating. They have a handy guide for it, I think the Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F would be a better one to try but it's not out yet.

JohnCheese Wed 26-Oct-16 12:18:02

I agree with botemp, but unfortunately as we age we naturally lose facial fat. That natural loss coupled with weight loss is what you're looking at in the mirror.

While Retin A and the like will help with the loss of collagen, wrinkles etc, it won't help with the facial fat loss pattern of ageing. There is no product (that I know of) that will increase facial fat volume. Putting on weight will help to a degree perhaps, but not with the ageing-fat-loss aspect.

The only suggestion I have is fillers. Clever makeup can help, but only fillers will change the fat loss. Having said all of that. Facial fat volume loss is a normal aspect of ageing. Normal. It's not something have to fix. Only if you really want to.

JohnCheese Wed 26-Oct-16 12:30:26

Oh and I use Neostrata physical sunscreen. Great sunscreen, really nice to use - goes on like a primer. Never to late to start using sunscreen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now