Talk

Advanced search

Lush henna (brun) on previously coloured hair

(10 Posts)
MaybeImJustTooDemanding Fri 02-Sep-16 17:16:06

Inspired by recent henna threads, I have ventured into Lush and on the advice of the salesperson bought some brun henna (I've got naturally dark brown hair, now with strands of grey). I'm all ready and quite excited about giving it a go, but having a last minute panic because I had some highlights put in about five months ago and am slightly worried about how those bits will react. They were originally quite subtle -light reddish brown - but now look blonde.

Tempted to just go for it and see what happens but can anyone reassure me that I won't end up with green streaks in my hair?!

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:17

You could do a strand test if you are nervous. Its five months ago, really dont think there will be any problem. However bare in mind that your streaks will be a red colour. Henna does not cover over highlights. It is like a varnish and your grey/highlights will be lighter. That is part of the beauty of henna. It looks natural because it never dyes blocky. I found for me that lush henna never dyed my grey hair enough and didnt last but have now ventured into mixing my own and its far better. Lush henna was a great start though. It gives a superb shine.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:27

You could do a strand test if you are nervous. Its five months ago, really dont think there will be any problem. However bare in mind that your streaks will be a red colour. Henna does not cover over highlights. It is like a varnish and your grey/highlights will be lighter. That is part of the beauty of henna. It looks natural because it never dyes blocky. I found for me that lush henna never dyed my grey hair enough and didnt last but have now ventured into mixing my own and its far better. Lush henna was a great start though. It gives a superb shine. I will never go back to box dyes.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:46

Sorry, posted twice!!!

MaybeImJustTooDemanding Fri 02-Sep-16 18:35:52

Thanks for reply never. I'm happy for the henna to turn the highlights red (which is what they were supposed to be anyway!). I know the coverage on grey isn't supposed to be brilliant but I don't have loads and I guess it'll be an improvement at least?

Where do you get your henna from now, if you don't mind me asking?

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:48:45

Someone advised me to use hennacat. So i buy the henna and indigo and mix it myself. There are a ton of books on the henna cat website if you google henna cat. They are really informative.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:49:43

hennacat.com/

neveradullmoment99 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:50:48

You can download all the books for free.

MaybeImJustTooDemanding Fri 02-Sep-16 19:12:51

Thanks for the link - lots of info there! smile

neveradullmoment99 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:12:42

Currently had my henna/indigo mix in now for nearly 7hrs!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now