Talk

Advanced search

What foundation do women on the TV wear to make them look so immaculate?

(14 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Mon 18-Apr-16 18:36:31

Anyone know? You never see pp with acne or redness etc. is there some magic foundation out there that us ' civilians' just don't know about?

I get photos can be photoshopped and in feature films, lighting can enhance someone's skin, but pp on TV? How do they do it..?

HaveNoTimeToThinkOfName Mon 18-Apr-16 18:41:47

They have professionals apply it before they go on, the lighting/camera must have some magic to it, not everybody has immaculate skin surely! In some lights I have noticed bumps on skin which must be covered up spots! They have great concealer....

I am still trying to discover 'the' foundation that's right for me too....I look at them all in Boots, read the packaging and just feel like I have all those skin types and all those problems and come out none the wiser and empty handed!

Cakescakescakes Mon 18-Apr-16 18:42:49

I've seen newsreaders having foundation airbrushed on before with a machine! Apparently since HD came along its all and to ramp up a gear.

Chillyegg Mon 18-Apr-16 18:44:18

My frind is a makeup artist and basically she uses the same stuff it's a mix of high end stuff like mac and my friend uses this hardcore strength stuff from Germany. Also a lot of prima and nivea is flung in the face.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 18-Apr-16 18:44:45

It used to be MAC Studio Fix (used to be friendly with someone who worked for GMTV).

Destinysdaughter Mon 18-Apr-16 18:45:01

Thanks for the replies but what foundations do they actually use? Anyone know...?

Londonladybird Mon 18-Apr-16 20:36:39

Bump.
Would love to know the answer to this !

picklepie1 Mon 18-Apr-16 23:38:26

I don't know what they use exactly as every makeup artist uses different things. But the ones they most likely use and are super duper fab are:
Too Faced - Born this way foundation
Makeup Forever - HD foundation
Estée Lauder - Double Wear foundation
Gorgio Armani - Luminous Silk foundation

Those are my personal favourites but ofc there are a thousand more products. The makeup artists will normally use high end products (you can buy them from debehnams, beauty bay, selfridges).

They'll match them up with good concealers, primers etc etc

GeezeLouiseBelcher Tue 19-Apr-16 06:53:46

I recently got some NARS sheer glow and it gives me skin like the girls on made in Chelsea.

SinglePringle Tue 19-Apr-16 07:22:38

I know a few TV MUA and presenters.

The PP is correct that the foundation is airbrushed on. It's a micro fine layer at first and then they build it. The most common brands are:

MAC
Nars
Armani
Laura Mercier

They also get a mini facial before application (facial massage with moisturiser and oils etc) and the make up is touched up all the time (in ad breaks, during VTs etc). Plus the MUA use the best brushes available.

I know presenters who take up to 4 hrs in make up (usually on the big studio shows, not GMTV or news presenters). They have bits done throughout the day / rehearsal so it's constantly refreshed and polished.

Then the lighting is designed to flatter skin tone / hide shadows and the like. Also, if the programme is pre-recorded, it it will have had some colour tweaking in the edit (but you can't totally change how someone looks!).

All adds up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 19-Apr-16 07:25:08

They use 3 inches of the stuff, it has to be caked on to cope with the lights.

botemp Tue 19-Apr-16 07:30:24

Yep, there's a lot of artistry (and setting powders) involved. It's usually an HD foundation (Makeup Forever is a popular one) without an SPF, that's more a carry over from photography (flashback) but most MUA use the same products from professional lines. The Armani LS is a red carpet favourite. Like PP mentioned lighting corrects a lot (and are generally unflattering to darker skin tones).

It should be noted that however impeccable they look on tv/film in real life it tends to look frightening. It's a look purely engineered for its purpose that doesn't translate well elsewhere.

Sprink Tue 19-Apr-16 07:30:38

They use 3 inches of the stuff, it has to be caked on to cope with the lights.

Yes. And it's not suitable for daily life, unless your goal is to look like you're wearing a mask.

As someone who occasionally appears on television, the first thing I do afterward (before leaving the studio) is remove the "stage" makeup and apply normal makeup.

sarahsinlondon Tue 19-Apr-16 07:45:53

A friend is a news reader and I've seen her have it done. They use MAC and use an airbrush machine, literally covering you in it and down your neck. It only works well for TV, she looks orange and caked in it in real life (by her own admission) and cleans it off before going home.

I did learn a few tips though. They go heavy on the eyebrows, there's lots of shading with eye shadows and many of them stopped wearing false eyelashes when HD got popular as it was just too obvious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now