Dark patches on knees

(12 Posts)
cakedup Mon 22-Feb-16 23:34:41

I have dark patches on my knees that have been getting progressively worse over the last few years, to the point that I can't display them in the summer.

GP just said I need to moisturise regularly with Zerobase emollient cream. I apply this 2 - 3 times a day, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I asked her why my knees were so dark and she said it was just the way my skin reacted to the dryness hmm .

Anyone else had this and found a solution? Is Zerobase really the best moisturiser to use or are there better ones? Olive oil? Bio oil? Foot cream?

Cydonia Tue 23-Feb-16 07:46:12

I can't help I'm afraid, but I have the same problem, to the point where people ask me what I've done as they look bruised. They are also really dry, and the skin is very thickened there too. I've tried scrubbing them with a foot pumice soap then moisturising ( various creams and oils ) but nothing has ever made a difference. But perhaps I haven't stuck at one thing for long enough, or done it often enough. I haven't tried Bio oil yet so I don't know if that might work?
I will be very interested to see if anyone has found a solution!

cakedup Tue 23-Feb-16 13:35:49

Nice to know my knees are not alone Cydonia! My mum reckons the cure is to rest lemon slices on my knees every evening and then moisturise with olive oil her remedy for everything straight after. However I don't really want to sit around balancing lemon slices on my knees night after night for nothing and would prefer to try something that has worked for someone else.

Let's hope someone comes along with the answer!

cakedup Tue 23-Feb-16 13:38:15

By the way, I have tried Fade Out but with no result.

Getit Tue 23-Feb-16 13:41:01

My knees are the same
Will watch this thread

Cydonia Tue 23-Feb-16 14:30:34

I tried the lemon thing too but to no avail, though I probably didn't try it for long enough.

ClarenceTheLion Tue 23-Feb-16 14:40:50

Actually juice the lemon, soak cotton wool pads in the lemon juice and put them on the skin, it'll be a bit more intensive.

And then of course regular exfoliation, and a good moisturizer. If you keep at it daily, you should see a difference. Exfoliate gently before applying melon/moisturiser so it doesn't just sit on dead skin cells.

Another thing to try is one of the exfoliating toners that are all the rage these days. After using it on your face, put it on your knees too!

mowglik Tue 23-Feb-16 14:54:55

I have the same issue sad I've been using my AHA serum on them and also my vit C serum and moisturising well. It has def lightened around the edges but the middle of the dark patches (where the knee bone rests when you kneel on the floor) are just as bad.

The skin is really thick there so possibly I just need to keep up the routine and in a few months years I might see a difference.

However I do spend a lot of time on my knees (ooer!) so doubt this problem will ever really go away, for me at least!

cakedup Tue 23-Feb-16 22:32:04

Ooh good idea re exfoliating toner! mowglik I think BHAs are stronger (and go deeper) than AHAs so might be worth switching? I am definitely going to give that a go. I've bought products from Paula's Choice before and they're quite good at answering queries re skin care, so will ask them what they recommend.

Re lemon juice...would lemon juice out of a bottle be just as good? I don't see myself juicing lemons every night.

cakedup Wed 24-Feb-16 18:06:46

Ok, I emailed Paula's Choice asking if they had any products that might help and this is their reply:

You have indicated that you are looking for products to address hyperpigmentation and dryness on the knees. We hope the following information proves useful:

Causes of hyperpigmentation:

Skin pigmentation problems occur because the body produces either too much or too little melanin. This faulty melanin production is primarily caused by chronic unprotected sun exposure or hormones (particularly during pregnancy or from taking birth control pills).

Advice:

The consistent use of a broad spectrum sunscreen with a minimum of SPF25 is essential. Diligent use of a sunscreen alone allows some repair as well as protection from further sun damage if your knees / legs are always exposed.

Furthermore, the use of an AHA exfoliant in combination with other treatments can be very effective for improving the overall appearance of skin and possibly help other ingredients penetrate better into the skin.

AHA products with a concentration of 4 to 10% do not directly reduce skin discolorations. However, it has been proven that they can be very effective in combination with other skin brightening treatments in the repair of hyperpigmentation and skin damage caused by the sun as they gently remove dead skin cells from the skin surface.

We recommend using the Resist Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA.

An AHA product may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. While using an AHA exfoliant, wear protective clothing, limit sun exposure and use a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF25 to protect your skin.

Paula's Choice products that help improve hyperpigmentation:

Resist Pure Radiance Skin Brightening Treatment: Allows darker, discolored spots to become more even with the surrounding skin. This product is actually a facial product, therefore, the amount is not the same as body products.
Resist Retinol Body Treatment: Utilizes a specialized retinol complex, potent antioxidants, and skin-repairing ingredients to intensively smooth, moisturizer skin and improve skin's tone.
Also:

Body Moisturizer: Clinical Body Butter: Massage over dry areas (elbows, heels, knees, and anywhere you want to seal in moisture to soften skin) as often as needed. Excellent when used after applying an AHA or BHA exfoliant to enhance softness and healing.

You might also want to consider any prescription treatment recommended by your doctor.

cakedup Wed 24-Feb-16 18:08:24

Quite helpful really, although obviously biased towards their own products. The only bit I don't get is this:

"Diligent use of a sunscreen alone allows some repair"

So, are they saying that using sunscreen, even when there is no sun exposure, will help?? How's that?

redmimi Wed 24-Feb-16 21:52:51

I have the same problem on knees and front of ankle and am so self conscious about it. I put it down to kneeling on the floor all the time since having children.

I use a lot of moisturiser but the only thing that has really improved it (and maybe I shouldn't admit this blush) has been using my Scholl Diamond foot file on the affected areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now