Talk

Advanced search

Over the counter sleeping tablets that actually work…do they exist??

(45 Posts)
Redskyatnight01 Fri 04-Dec-15 09:00:37

As title. I’ve been having restless sleep the last few weeks and am feeling and looking really tired.

In the past I have tried herbal products but they don’t really seem to do anything?

The only thing I’ve found to work is the liquid night nurse, I have the flu at the moment so the last couple of nights I’ve taken this before bed and it’s worked a treat- knocked me right out!

Can anyone recommend anything or is it a case of prescription only?

DonkeyOaty Fri 04-Dec-15 09:07:35

Yes night nurse!

Redskyatnight01 Fri 04-Dec-15 09:16:49

I know, but I don't want to rely on Night Nurse long term (if anything because the effect it has will probably wear off after a while)

Is there anything herbal I can take that DOES make you drowsy? I really do look and feel much better after a good nights sleep.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 04-Dec-15 09:17:46

Bach Flower Night Time Rescue Remedy?

CarpetDiem Fri 04-Dec-15 09:23:26

Lots of people have become addicted to Night Nurse & dugs with similar ingredients. What you need is a sleep hygiene routine. www.cpft.nhs.uk/Downloads/misc_downloads/Coping_with_sleep_difficulties.PDF
Please do not start relying on OTC drugs to help you sleep, you will end up with a host of other problems.

Seeyounearertime Fri 04-Dec-15 09:30:27

Good old fashioned warm milk with a dram of whiskey. smile
Hot Cocoa too, my auld father used to drink Horlicks before bed.

I like a warm bowl of milky porrige sometimes, warming, fills your tummy and the hot milk helps natural sleep.

I've also used Nytol, which seem to work, but only a short term solution.

Good luck OP. Sleep issues cast a shadow over everything.

Fractiousfractions Fri 04-Dec-15 09:31:42

The non non-drowsy antihistamines (if that makes sense) can be useful. I think Boots sell them, they're an older formulation, orangey yellow packet.

I take them on long haul flights when I want a bit of help dropping off but not to be out of it completely. But they do leave me with a bit of a groggy feeling when I wake up. But then so does Night nurse so maybe it's just me. Also yes, good sleep hygiene, no screen time before bed etc helps.

Jaeme Fri 04-Dec-15 10:06:45

^ this, the antihistamines that aren't non drowsy. Nytol contains the same ingredients to make you sleep but the antihistamines are usually cheaper.

Still wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution though and if it's something that continues please look into the sleep hygiene info or see your doctor.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Fri 04-Dec-15 10:07:31

I occasionally use the non-herbal Nytol - or the Boot's own brand equivalent. I think they are an antihistamine.

I believe they are only for short-term use - possibly addictive if you use them all the time. I suffer from insomnia and will often take one when I've already had 2-3s bad night's sleep and absolutely must sleep through for my sanity! They can leave you feeling a bit groggy the next day.

ZaraW Fri 04-Dec-15 10:11:57

Melatonin works for me but as someone who suffered from long term insomnia sleep restriction worked miracles.

moveon Fri 04-Dec-15 10:22:40

Stay away from booze and screen and exercise close to bedtime.
I have found that the prescription (z-range) sleeping tablet help but I wouldn't take them very often only when it's been weeks of very little sleep. I have also tried Sominex which work for me but again use sparingly.

I have been taking St Johns Wort in tea form (I am quite down) and taking magnesium tablets which have helped I think.

Keep meaning to get a lavender spray as well.

VivaVegas Fri 04-Dec-15 10:50:14

I've had sleeping issues for over a month and was struggling to function at work and generally feeling rubbish as a result. I was about to go to my GP but bought some Nytol herbal and they have worked for me, am easing off them now as my body is in a much better sleeping routine.
You have my sympathy, it's dreadful when you don't sleep.

velourvoyageur Fri 04-Dec-15 11:30:38

Donormyl & Calmaben
I believe both are anti histamine
Work for me every single time

joencaitlinsmum Fri 04-Dec-15 12:34:54

Sominex are fab smile

frillybiscuits Fri 04-Dec-15 12:42:07

I used to take Nygtol and they worked amazing for me. However they weren't good when I needed to get up for work at 5am and I was very drowsy, I was often late due to that so had to stop taking them. They're good if you can use them for a whole 10 hours sleep or so

MotherofFlagons Fri 04-Dec-15 13:20:55

Piriton.

busyboysmum Fri 04-Dec-15 13:26:49

I get melatonin from i-herb in America. They have free delivery at the moment as well. I have a capsule in a milky drink at bedtime when I'm going through a phase of struggling to get to sleep.

JennaRoss Fri 04-Dec-15 13:30:30

Don't know what they put in this sleep tea but it makes me sleepy within an hour of drinking it.

specialsubject Fri 04-Dec-15 13:53:41

as mentioned, address the root cause and your sleep hygiene. The behind-the-counter Nytol is strong stuff, works for me but not much use as then foggy until 11am!

melatonin isn't a sleeping pill as such.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 04-Dec-15 14:46:23

Not a sleeping pill per se, but I take a magnesium tablet before bed every night and I fall asleep almost instantly. I started taking them for period related issues then realised they are supposed to have a relaxant effect too.

Varya Fri 04-Dec-15 14:50:13

Yes, piriton.

thewhitepowerranger Fri 04-Dec-15 16:12:34

Avomine tablets for travel sickness. I challenge anyone to stay awake for more than 20 minutes after taking one of them. They knock you out completely.

MrsUnderwood Fri 04-Dec-15 16:17:36

I make sleeping potion from valerian root and it works a charm.

Atomik Fri 04-Dec-15 16:23:04

Valerian tablets work for me if I need to break an insomnia cycle by giving me a couple of nights of good, restful, deep sleep.

After a couple of nights they just don't have the same effect IME, so no good for a longer term problem that a good sleep can't kickstart back into "normal sleeping". The upside is that they don't give me the "hangover" that other OTC medication can.

I use 125mg tablets and take two.

Dowser Fri 04-Dec-15 20:22:02

I take a melatonin every night. If I wake about 5-30to 6 am I'll take 2 valerian but it's true they don't work every night.

You are supposed to have a really dark room to protect your melatonin. No tv in your room etc

Supposed to switch off al devices an hour before settling down to sleep. Some lavender on your neck/ chest can be good . Heat of your body warms it up and you inhale the vapour.

Diphenhydramine ( I got mine from Florida I found very good ) its also an anti histamine and sleep aid but really you are better not relying too much on stuff like this.

Been there and done it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now