Talk

Advanced search

Looking for an outfit for a 'no black' funeral

(17 Posts)
LunchpackOfNotreDame Sat 26-Sep-15 15:47:10

I'm really struggling to find something affordable and suitable. Can anyone help? I'm a size 16-18 hourglass shape

Thank you

SourceofInformation Sat 26-Sep-15 15:52:56

What do you usually wear? I'd wear one of my smarter work outfits, or something from a wedding. Unless I really had nothing suitable, I wouldn't buy specially for a funeral.

howtorebuild Sat 26-Sep-15 15:54:07

I wore dark brown. Others worse grey, Brown and dark purple.

SourceofInformation Sat 26-Sep-15 15:57:10

Have I misunderstood it all? I thought the point of a no black funeral was that people were more colourful than what's usually considered funereal. Brown, grey, dark purple aren't much different to black and would be "normal" at most funerals I've been to.

howtorebuild Sat 26-Sep-15 15:59:01

I found people didn't dress in bright clothes.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sat 26-Sep-15 16:03:30

My work wear isn't suitable

Usually I live in jeans and tops. So realistically I need to at least make an effort

I wouldn't feel comfortable in bright colours

burnishedsilver Sat 26-Sep-15 17:47:42

I'd play it safe in navy.

CurlsLDN Sat 26-Sep-15 17:53:55

I'm the same size and shape, I'd wear this
www.very.co.uk/lipstick-boutique-curvy-waffle-pencil-dress/1460877231.prd

junebirthdaygirl Sun 27-Sep-15 02:06:35

I went to friends moms funeral which said no black. She was in her 90s and had a long happy life. Everyone wore bright colours. Reds purples. A lot wore a bright scarf. No black means no dark colours l thought. No mourning look.

12purpleapples Sun 27-Sep-15 02:12:27

I went to a no-black funeral. Almost everyone wore other dark colours.

Maryz Sun 27-Sep-15 02:13:53

Surely anything brightly coloured is ok? I went to a funeral like this a few weeks ago, and people wore jeans and brightly coloured hoodies, dresses with brightly coloured shoes etc etc.

In fact, most people wore normal clothes (fairly casual) with really bright knitted scarves/hats/shawl-type things/mismatched socks, bright ties, even polka dot wellies etc etc. It was the splash of colour that mattered.

SourceofInformation Sun 27-Sep-15 07:36:20

Odd how people interpret it differently.

I would have thought no black meant no traditional mourning clothes and was encouraging bright clothes. Bit pointless if everyone wears navy, which can barely be distinguished from black

BikeRunSki Sun 27-Sep-15 07:58:27

^
I would have thought no black meant no traditional mourning clothes and was encouraging bright clothes. Bit pointless if everyone wears navy, which can barely be distinguished from black^

I agree with this.
Queen Victoria asked people to
mourn for her in purple, which I think is a nice not-too-bright-but-not-too-sombre colour.
When I went to a no-black funeral I wore teal, but DS was only 6 weeks old and it's all that fitted (apart from my black maternity dress).

burnishedsilver Sun 27-Sep-15 08:04:09

People are going to do what people are going to do. Asking them to dress in brought colours while they're mired in grief isn't going to make anyone feel better. I don't think it's fair on the people left behind. I wouldn't wear black if asked not to but would still dress somber because it's a somber occasion no matter how you dress it up.

ungulater Sun 27-Sep-15 08:32:23

I would take 'no black' to mean 'wear something bright'. Dark colours are just as acceptable as black for traditional wear now - so they were trying to indicate something more than that. You could just wear a jazzy scarf if you don't feel you could pull off head to toe hot pink.

SlinkyB Sun 27-Sep-15 08:39:42

I recently went to one. I'm a SAHM so most of my clothes are jeans and t-shirts, or super casual, or worn out. Not suitable for a funeral/church service imo.

The only thing I really had that was smart enough was a navy day dress, which I thought was still too dark, but I jazzed it up with a bright pink pashmina. You could always ask a local florist to do a brightly coloured buttonhole?

Not sure about you, but I can't really afford to buy a new outfit for a funeral, and actually on the day no-one looks or cares about what anyone is wearing. You're there to remember a loved one.

Hope you find something suitable and it goes ok.

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 27-Sep-15 08:54:45

I went to a no black funeral wearing a black skirt and a purple top. Other people were similarly attired with men wearing navy/grey suits and bright ties and women wearing black and another colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now