Talk

Advanced search

Michael Kors bags worth it? or alternative?

(9 Posts)
Dontletthemgetyoudown Wed 09-Oct-13 13:34:29

Yes the search for the holy grail of bags again. I recently started back at college and would like a tan tote bag, preferably real leather and big enough for my text books and ipad, pencil case, mobile and purse.

I keep coming back to this Michael kors one, but I don't know. They seem to be popular now, but are they worth the £? www.johnlewis.com/michael-michael-kors-medium-jet-set-multifunction-saffiano-tote-handbag/p489339?colour=Brown

I quite like this john lewis one, too www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-new-grainy-soft-tote-handbag/p437159?colour=Tan

and this accessorize one, but neither are real leather uk.accessorize.com/view/product/uk_catalog/acc_1,acc_1.7/4892052200

I'm inclined to go for the cheaper options at the moment, but I don't usually buy cheap handbags and usually only buy leather as they age well and last.

evertonmint Wed 09-Oct-13 14:07:56

I have the Michael Kors Hamilton in tan - similar dimensions to the one you link to, although a bit less height on it.

I love it. I can carry an A4 notebook, plus phone, kindle, change of shoes, make up, snack and water bottle in it, or a whole change of kids clothes, snacks and books etc. depending on what I'm doing.

I have used it maybe 4-5 times per week since I got it last Christmas and the leather has barely aged at all. It just seems really robust. In fact, a couple of days ago the lid came off my daughter's prune juice in there. I thought the bag would be ruined, but the inside seems to be made of some amazing liquid repellent fabric so nothing soaked in and the juice just tipped out. I just rinsed it with water, left it to air dry and it was as good as new.

I would never have bought it for myself (DH bought it as my Christmas present) but I love it now I have it. Of course, this doesn't mean the others wouldn't wear well, but I am really impressed with it and would consider buying a MK bag again having never considered spending so much money on a bag before.

Chopstheduck Wed 09-Oct-13 14:18:24

Oh I love Michael Kors. I have the large hamilton, a crossbody in vanilla, the large naomi, and a burnt orange coloured medium jet set.

The only thing with the jet set is, that mine only has a clasp across the middle and then the zipped pockets inside. So the main body is really open to anyone dipping their hands in and pick pocketing.

They are lovely bags though, and def do age well. I prefer leather too, it jsut feels so much nicer, and ages better.

Dontletthemgetyoudown Wed 09-Oct-13 14:48:10

good to hear that the leather is good. I like the size of the Hamilton but wasn't too keen on the gold chain handle.

Our local john lewis didn't have many in stock, I wonder if house of fraser sell them?

I like this version of the jet set as well, they are all open top though, I hadn't really thought about them being so open. www.selfridges.com/en/Bags/Brand-rooms/Brands/MICHAEL-KORS/Jet-Set-Chain-large-tote_128-3001451-30S11JSE3L230/?previewAttribute=Luggage

Chopstheduck Wed 09-Oct-13 14:59:30

that one looks more squishy, so at least probably would stay closed under your arm. Some are very rigid, and stay more bucket shaped iykwim?

fraser do sell them, on Oxford street at least. Harrods stock them too.

Chopstheduck Wed 09-Oct-13 15:00:19

this is the latest shape, which is really nice and doesn't have so much hardware as the hamilton

CiderwithBuda Wed 09-Oct-13 15:06:24

Our local TK Maxx had Michael Kors bags in today. Quite a few tan totes. Still almost £200 but a bit of a saving!

NewChoos Wed 09-Oct-13 15:11:45

Are you near Bicester village? I'm sure they have them in the outlet, but can't remember the price. You could call them?

Chopstheduck Wed 09-Oct-13 15:23:53

the MK hamiltons in the outlet are slightly different though, and don't have the locket hardware like the store ones. They seem to produce one range specifically for the outlets. i think some of the other bags are good though. Or you could even look at someone like Neiman marcus in america that actually ship here, and might be cheaper, espcially sale stock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »