Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a coat for dog walking purposes (or find another one)

(8 Posts)
neuroticmumof3 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:03:49

Sorry to start yet another coat thread but I need some help. I got a dog earlier this year which means I will have to venture outdoors (gasp) in all sorts of weather. I normally avoid outdoors as much as possible in nasty weather so my wardrobe is not equipped to cope. I have fallen in love with the Merrell Wakefield but can't find one anywhere. I've found two other Merrell candidates here and here but am not sure which I prefer. I'm 5'9", size 12 and want something that will keep me dry and warm without bringing me out in a hot sweat. My budget is up to £100 although I would pay £150 if I absolutely had to.

Whatevertheweather Thu 27-Sep-12 22:10:59

I bought this Peter Storm the other day. It's lovely, very waterproof and has a gorgeous fox print on the lining

allthefun Thu 27-Sep-12 22:16:51

In my experience you need a longer coat but also something quite robust as you could well be scratched or prickled on woody, brambly walks (or when the dog goes AWOL). I like a coat with a fleecy inside as you can sling it on anything and walk rather than having to put layers on under a thinner coat which you then have to cart round if you get too hot. A bright coat helps loads if you have to early morning dog walks so you don't get mown down by cyclists or cars.
This site has cheap,practical warm and waterproof but not the prestige type coats (that to me scream " I don't walk the dog much")

allthefun Thu 27-Sep-12 22:18:15

Whatevertheweather - that one is lovely!

Missmuffet28 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:18:53

My dog walking coat is a crag hoppers one admittedly its not the same style as the ones you have selected but I love it!! It has a removable fleece lining so I literally can wear it all year round and not get hot and sweaty in it, was about 75 quid in sale.
If I had to pick one of the ones you selected it would be the second link the paddington bear style buttons one (iykwim) I love that style of coat.

Missmuffet28 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:28:22

http://www.craghoppers.com/buy/women/jackets/
Dunno If my link will work but mines the brown coloured vision one, there are some in the sort of style you have linked but maybe bit pricey, however with most of them being 3 in 1 with the removable fleece you kinda get 3 dog walking jackets smile
And they offer lifetime guarantee!

neuroticmumof3 Thu 27-Sep-12 23:20:58

I like the Peter Storm one but it's too short. There seems to be a fantastic choice of jackets on various sites but I also want a longer coat and there don't seem to be that many about. I quite like a couple of the craghoppers ones, Ikoku and Hazuki (but that's a bit £££).

Whatevertheweather Fri 28-Sep-12 00:45:24

The Peter storm one comes almost to my knees (I'm 5ft 6')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now