Talk

Advanced search

House of Colour - winter - where to shop now?!

(25 Posts)
Clarey70 Mon 05-Mar-12 22:26:56

Help! Had my colours done 2 weeks ago - am Winter, best colours royal blue, fuchsia, Chinese blue, lobelia, raspberry etc. Went shopping last week to make a start but didn't buy a thing sad Can't get away from the feeling that these are mother of the bride colours/outfits. Which shops are suitable for a 41 year old, size 14-16 Winter?

Ungratefulchild Mon 05-Mar-12 22:27:51

Cos

rightchoice Mon 05-Mar-12 22:32:13

You don't have to have the whole outfit in thouse colours if it feels too much. You could accessorise with them too, handbag, scarf etc?

Clarey70 Mon 05-Mar-12 22:39:47

Yep, point taken - maybe I was trying to do too much at once. It's frustrating though - I could completely see that those colours looked best, but I still don't own any!

rightchoice Mon 05-Mar-12 22:43:44

It will be fun building up a new wardrobe, a whole new you.

shelley72 Tue 06-Mar-12 07:00:28

i went at the weekend clarey70 and i too am a winter. am off to have a quick wander around the 'little' shops today (though a bit limited where we are) and so if i see anything i will report back.

we are a similar age etc and my wardrobe is mostly full of winter colours already and black tops which im not allowed to wear now. on a quick glance its mostly casual stuff (am SAHM) and its boden/white stuff/joules/oasis/fat face/gap which i know most MN dislike but hey ho.

did you go out with your wallet and booklet? just deciding whether to take mine or whether i'll look like a complete idiot

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 06-Mar-12 09:50:26

I wear lots of grey/charcoal/black/navy/white and add colours for shoes, cardigans, tops, scarves, bags, nail polish etc.

I would start by throwing out unsuitable stuff and then slowly build up your wardrobe. Have fun smile

HazleNutt Tue 06-Mar-12 10:05:58

here you can get some basics and choose according to your season:
http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/season/winter

HazleNutt Tue 06-Mar-12 10:06:19

sorry
www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/season/winter

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 06-Mar-12 11:00:06

If you go to Boden - they have loads of nice winter colours displayed in a row which makes it easy for you to choose a suitable item. They have a 25% sale on at the moment.

Gillybobs Tue 06-Mar-12 11:38:39

Loads of Winter bright blues and greens in the shops at the moment.

Agree that you dont need to buy everything in your best colours, get a couple of great tops and maybe a scarf in your faves and wear with your best neutrals (probably balck/grey/navy?)

FWIW I was told when I was draped last August that its best to shop for your colours in your season...so I am a Spring and have been amazed over the last few weeks as more and more Spring compliant stuff comes into the shops. I know thats not much help to you at the moment but dont despair as come Sept the shops will be bursting with your colours

NotYetEverything Tue 06-Mar-12 11:41:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ooer Tue 06-Mar-12 20:18:08

M and Co have quite a lot of winter colours. Do you have a shop near you? Or you can order online. I just bought a zingy cobalt blue blazer and a pair of jeans.

Definitely worth a look.

MissMacross Tue 06-Mar-12 20:24:59

There are lovely fuchsia & electric blue tops, jumpers & dresses in Whistles right now. H&M was doing a whole section themed around emerald green when I was last in. And navy is EVERYWHERE.

It's a pretty good spring for winters as long as you avoid coral tops.

Clarey70 Tue 06-Mar-12 20:38:26

Thank-you everyone - off to look at all those websites NOW!!! smile

Gettingthetshirt Sun 25-Nov-12 08:06:30

Hi there, I realise this thread is several months old so will expect the sound of tumbleweed... :-) but I have just had my colours done and am a budding winter jewel in exactly the same situation - thinking what the hell do/can I buy?!?! I went shopping yesterday armed with my swatch wallet of colours and felt utterly overwhelmed if a colour didn't match exactly :-(
I was just wondering how you got on and if several months on you are a fully fledged sparkling winter jewel?

MadAboutHotChoc Sun 25-Nov-12 13:25:59

Burgundy is very in - one of my best colours.

Greys, silvers, blacks mix well with the stronger colours.

MadAboutHotChoc Sun 25-Nov-12 13:29:08

I would start by looking at your wardrobe - give away the totally unsuitable stuff that will be next to your face (i.e tops).

Buy a few tops/jumpers/scarves in your best colours and gradually get rid of the less than great bottoms when you can afford it.

MadAboutHotChoc Sun 25-Nov-12 13:30:30

and when buying clothes remember that winter colours are bright, clear and cool.

Gettingthetshirt Sun 25-Nov-12 22:31:02

Thank you so much! I have done the cull of the wardrobe - at least I can see what I actually have now. Not too much! Will definitely have a look at the burgundy...

janetaylor Fri 21-Dec-12 10:34:48

I just bought a red coat and I love everything about it. First the color, it is popping red which is perfect for me to shoo away the winter blues, secondly it makes me stand out from the rest of the crowd who wears safe colors like black and gray, third is that the scallop details up front makes this coat unique. It's a very dainty looking coat. I don't know how to post a photo here so I can justify my description..LOL but here it is.

So try getting yourself a red coat. Let me know how it goes. Or post it here... I'm excited to strut mine! =)

TravelinColour Fri 21-Dec-12 13:32:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonaAna Fri 21-Dec-12 14:54:35

To avoid the full-on mother of the bride look, you'll have to pair some trendy/casual items with the more classic ones. Your wardrobe needs some timeless building blocks (often in neutrals) and then more on-trend accessories or accents (bright/fashion colors).

Shop in winter sales - it's full of Winter colors.
I'm a Summer, and I wear a lot of the more muted Winter colors.
It would be important to define your personal style too. I'm almost 40 and like fairly classic clean-cut items.

High fashion is full of winter colors - designers favor it.
My favorite places to shop are Matches and Yoox (both of them have reasonably priced items during sales time - Yoox often has -80% off at the end of sales) and The Outnet and COS - a few good designer items rather than mountains of tat. Occasionally I find something in Zara too.

Hopefully Fri 21-Dec-12 15:12:43

Echo what travel says - you need things that tone with your wallet, not necessarily match exactly.

Get a scarf or top in your best colours and start with that. Look at your basics (navy, black, various greys etc) and start building with your best dark neutral as well as the brights.

Phase eight good for winters, ted baker can be. You should find burgundy and electric blue in the sales, they have been everywhere this year.

gogogaga Fri 12-Apr-13 09:57:44

Kettlewell does the best range of coloured basics you can find anywhere - gorgeous colours and fab choice of styles... www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now