Talk

Advanced search

DH and I have been invited to a 60s themed party - please help dress us!

(7 Posts)
TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 20-Sep-11 15:37:40

I've googled and dressing me is easy enough (though I don't want to spend a fortune!) But DH ... were Teddy Boys a 60s thing? I'm not convinced. And my mum was no help when I asked: she said she spent most of the 60s off her face and can't remember what she was wearing! shock

Help, pretty please?? Thanking you ...smile

sweetheart Tue 20-Sep-11 16:51:29

I've just googled images of mens 60's fashion and it doesn't look much different to now really! They all seem to be suits or black jeans, black polo top and a leather / cord jacket. I think the key with blokes might be the hair! I'd stick with plain clothes but but him a wig.

Failing that just pop to a charity shop and buy the most gaudy shirt you can find and try to pass that off.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 21-Sep-11 09:41:07

Thanks, Sweetheart! I didn't think it looked so different either, which is why I thought I'd got it wrong and needed help! I think I'll take up your suggestion of a wig and gaudy shirt - nice and easy and hopefully he won't complain too much. He isn't keen on fancy dress!

TapselteerieO Wed 21-Sep-11 13:44:32

black polo neck, drainpipe trousers, winkle-picker shoes, maybe thick framed glasses.

YouDoTheMath Wed 21-Sep-11 13:56:55

Have you got a good fancy dress place near you? If so, give them a call and arrange an appointment. I went to one near me a few years back - had a 1920s prohibition party at work, and seriously, they kitted me out better than I could have done myself, plus it was so much cheaper than buying anything.

You could get a good 60s wig as part of the outfit if you do it that way...

notanumptyalways Wed 21-Sep-11 14:22:31

I am a big fan of the show Mad Men and I think it would be very easy at the moment for you to find a dress for yourself like this one which i love but can't buy right now because my baby bump won't allow it sad

Check out this page for some ideas maybe?

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 21-Sep-11 15:35:31

Thanks everyone. DH and I will have a look when we go to bed tonight - only time we get any peace and we certainly know how to enjoy ourselves wink.

Notanumpty, I always think Mad Men was set in 50s rather than 60s. Obviously not and that red dress is gorgeous. Might get it anyway - I could wear it for work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now