Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone knows about ADOS scoring method for a dx in uk?

(19 Posts)
mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 14:25:36

Curious about this, only have managed to look at ADOS points system from the us.

It says there are 2 cut-off scores, one for autism at 12 points, and one for asd at 8 points.

Is it the same in the uk? hmm
Do they have a cut-off for asd and a higher one for autism?
If they have do you know what the cut-off points are for both?

Cheers.

logi Sat 15-Aug-09 15:07:27

hi yes its the same 12 and 8.

mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 16:01:46

Thanks Logi.
So score of 8 to 11 = asd dx, and score 12 and above = autism dx. ???
Sorry i'm a bit slow today grin

troutpout Sat 15-Aug-09 17:04:12

yes..that sounds right
ds scored 10..and has a dx of Aspergers syndrome/HFA

mummytopebs Sat 15-Aug-09 17:14:34

Does anyone know if you can see what they are looking for in the ados,m i have googled it but cant find the actual list that says what they are looking for

mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 17:19:14

Ok. That's a bit clearer now.
12 points or more would be for more moderate to severe autism then if i understand.
And below 12 points for milder ASD, AS/HFA.

mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 17:27:29

The page i printed was for module 2, and it wasn't too detailled about the activities involved but here is the main categories :

Communication:
amount of social overtures/ maintenance of attention
stereoptyped use of words or phrases
conversation
pointing
gestures

Social interaction:
unusual eye contact
facial expressions directed to others
spontaneous of joint attention
quality of social overtures
quality of social responses
amount of social communication
overall quality of rapport

Imagination and Creativity

Stereotyped behaviours:
unusual sensory interest
hand or finger or other body mannerisms
unusually repetitive interests or restricted interests

That's it , it didn't go into more details.

pokhara Sat 15-Aug-09 17:53:02

hiya, could you tell me which health prof does this ados test as we have never been offered this, thanks

mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 17:55:53

The ADOS and ADI-R will be part of the dx assessment for ds with CAMHS.
I suppose other professionals do it too.

daisy5678 Sat 15-Aug-09 20:14:30

MODULE TWO: for those who use phrase speech but who are not verbally fluent.

Construction task

here they might ask him to put a puzzle together and see how he responds to help/ something being moved.

Make-believe play
Joint interactive play
which will test his imagination and how well he interacts with the tester.

Conversation

this will look at how well he can communicate in a 2 way conversation - eye contact, gestures, facial expression and sticking to the topic etc.

Response to joint attention

seeing if your child looks at something interesting when the examiner does.

Demonstration task

asking him to demonstrate something e.g. teeth brushing

Description of picture

seeing what they point out and how well they can describe.

Looking at a book

I think this is when the examiner asks what the characters are feeling/ thinking/ doing

Free play

to see 'how' they play - normally or obsessively. I think there's a spinning toy they bring out.

Response to name

does the child turn and look or not

Birthday party

I think that this is where they do a pretend party with toys and see if the child can play it right

Snack
Anticipation of a routine with objects
Bubble play

I think this is where the examiner will blow bubbles and see if your child asks them to carry on when they stop.

MODULE THREE: for verbally fluent children

Construction task
Make-believe play
Joint interactive play
Demonstration task
Description of a picture
Telling a story from a book
Cartoons
Reporting a non-routine event/conversation
Emotions
Social difficulties/annoyance
Break
Friends/loneliness/marriage
Creating a story

My J had module 3, so it will be slightly different, but I'll tell you what I know!

It's the 'gold standard' for diagnosing autism/ Aspergers/ ASD, in conjunction with a parental interview and/ or questionnaire to get a feel of the history.

It stands for Autistic Diagnostic Observation Schedule and it's worldwide renowned for being the closest thing to scientific that you can use in this sort of disorder's diagnosis. It's a standardised series of activities, and for my son, was videoed and had one psych doing the test and me, his psychiatrist and 2 other mental health people in the video observation room watching him and the psychiatrist doing the test.

The idea is that they do the same tasks with every child in the same order and in the same way, and they know what a 'normal' child would do if they said 'what makes you happy?' and what an autistic child would do.

It measures eye contact, gestures, facial expressions, quality of speech, ability to start and carry on a conversation and other stuff like that. It tests how well they communicate and interact.

My son was asked to complete a puzzle, make up a story using toys, play with toys with the tester, play with toys by himself, read a book with the tester and talk about how the characters might have felt, describe a picture, talk about what made him happy/ sad/ cross/ lonely, who his friends were and why they were his friends (couldn't do any of the emotional ones), show the tester how he does his teeth and other stuff I've probably forgotten! It lasted over an hour and was quite hard for him to cope with so he kept doing all his little rituals that he always does at CAMHS - moving the furniture, opening the doors and windows, turning the lights on and off etc.

It was really clever and really revealing to watch e.g. the tester said, to start a conversation, I went on holiday this summer. Now I'm guessing most kids would ask where she went or some other question, but J said 'I go on holiday in the summer'. And he kept bashing th table into her legs and she said 'that hurts', so he turned to her with a smile and said 'thank you' because he knew he was supposed to say something, but wasn't sure what.

The test is scored out of 22 and the cut off for mild autism is 7. The cut off for autism is 12. J scored 20, putting him well into the autistic range.

I think it's a really accurate tool because it picks out all the subtleties. They score loads of small items in 3 main categories with numbers - 0 means normal; 1 means slightly autistic symptoms; 2 means symptoms are clear

Communication category scores for : amount of Social Overtures/Maintenance of Attention; stereotyped/Idiosyncratic Use of Words or Phrases; conversation; pointing; descriptive, Conventional, Instrumental, or Informational Gestures and then the communication total is out of 9 (Autism cut-off = 5; autism spectrum cut-off = 3)

Reciprocal Social Interaction category scores for: unusual Eye Contact; facial Expressions Directed to Others; spontaneous Initiation of Joint Attention; quality of Social Overtures; quality of Social Response; amount of Reciprocal Social Communication; overall Quality of Rapport and then the Social Interaction Total is out of 14(Autism cut-off = 6; autism spectrum cut-off = 4)

Communication + Social Interaction Total is out of 22(Autism cut-off = 12; autism spectrum cut-off = 8)

Imagination/Creativity is also measures but not part of the score, as is Stereotyped Behaviors and Restricted InterestsUnusual Sensory Interest in Play Material/Person, Hand and Finger and Other Complex Mannerisms, Unusually Repetitive Interests or Stereotyped Behaviors and Stereotyped Behaviors and Restricted Interests (out of 6)

Hope that helps! It's a good test.

daisy5678 Sat 15-Aug-09 20:17:59

It's not necessarily true that the higher the score, the more severe the autism. J scored nearly full marks but is not the most severely autistic child and sometimes doesn't even stand out much in a group of children, depending on mood. He is definitely autistic, and not at the mild end of the spectrum, but I wouldn't say the severe end either, except for socially and behaviourally. Learning-wise, he's fine. Linguistically, he's odd but has an amazing vocabulary.

So the ADOS score isn't a definitive guide to how autistic a child is. It's just part of an assessment.

mummytopebs Sat 15-Aug-09 21:14:50

givemesleep thanks fot that it must have took you ages to type. My dd sees educational psychologist on tuesday so i wonder if they will be doing this. DD seems to play ok with strangers though but it is more her emotional and sensory we are concerned with, i would say she is not autistic but maybe aspergers, its all so confusing

mysonben Sat 15-Aug-09 21:39:57

GivemesleeporGMC, thank you for sharing all this info and experience.
I can see how it works now.
smile

jasdox Sat 15-Aug-09 23:08:18

thanks GivemesleeporGMC, I've often seen ADOS, but never really understood what it meant. As you say very revealing. I get the impression we are still early into the dx process, although been in a year. initially he was developmentally delayed, but with the help of portage this does not appear to be the case (although now worried as it stops this week). and he has improved so much, but the quirks are still there. have a 3di interval next week, but assume they still need to see ds. again thanks, glad you thought it was a good test.

Phoenix4725 Sun 16-Aug-09 06:46:15

hi is there one where they look at a nonverbal child?

troutpout Sun 16-Aug-09 08:23:29

yes.. Module 1
...Here Pheonix

troutpout Sun 16-Aug-09 08:27:11

Agree that it was facinating to watch...wish i had a video of it actually...it was a lot to take in all at once

Phoenix4725 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:09:55

thank you

pinkchampagne Mon 17-Aug-09 18:10:59

My DS has this test next Tuesday so I have found this info really helpful. I am dreading it all atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now