Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice for appealing DLA decision

(7 Posts)
Tuliptime Thu 06-Apr-17 00:12:17

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any experience / tips for appealing a DLA decision? We were on higher rate and I knew really it wouldn't stay that way and was expecting to be moved to middle. However, I received my letter today to say that we have been moved to lower!! This is a massive drop in income and I genuinely use the money to support my child. I am definitely going to appeal it because when I have looked at the criteria I give almost two hours a day, roughly split into two - morning and eve, so they could argue not frequent) but roughly 3 nights a week too. I have checked the form as I took a photocopy and what I have put definitely meets criteria for more than an hour but I'm not sure about frequent.

Any advice very gratefully received on what I need to pay attention to when appealing. I'm trying not to panic!!

Thanks

AcidBird Thu 06-Apr-17 00:23:57

The citizens advice bureau and the welfare rights service both have staff who have been trained in this area. You may have to wait a while for an appointment though so when you contact them remember to tell them when the deadline is for your appeal.

coffeemachine Thu 06-Apr-17 20:43:10

I always thought in order to get middle rate care you will have to provide constant care and support throughout the day. If you provide 1h care in the morning and one on the evening, then lower rate sounds about right.

Does she get 1:1 support at school/has a statement if Send or an EHCP? if so, send that in as well.

have you looked at the Cerebra guide to make sure you mentioned everything relevant? we sometimes are so used to giving extra help that we may not realise that some care is care beyond and above a child without SN of the same age.

Tuliptime Thu 06-Apr-17 22:15:50

Thank you, no I haven't so I'll take a look. He gets 1:1 support for core lessons and some assistance for changing for PE and needs adult support when he opens his bowels at school but I time his medication to try and avoid this. I'll see the Citizens Advice before I send my appeal. To go from
Higher to lower when only night times have changed a few days a week seems harsh but if it is what it is I'll accept it. Thanks

coffeemachine Fri 07-Apr-17 06:46:48

with giving night time support only 3 out of 7 nights, you won't get the higher rate. But it sounds as if he needs extra support at school too (in lessons, for changing and toileting). This is more than 1 hour in the morning and in the evening. good luck.

PolterGoose Fri 07-Apr-17 08:56:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tuliptime Sat 08-Apr-17 13:32:24

Thanks for replies. He sometimes needs more during days and weekend but a lot of it depends on how well I time his medication. But either way it adds up to a good deal more than an hour so I shall give the mandatory reconsideration a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now