Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism badge - any help?

(35 Posts)
LunarRose Sat 20-Aug-11 12:52:57

Looking for a simple "I have autism badge" for a 4 year old boy, but can't find anything I like

don't want anything apologetic, mentioning naughty or asking for patience, something that just lets people know.

nearest I've found is "I am someone with autism" (ok but slightly oddly worded and I am autistic which would be fine except for the weird infinity signs!!!

Can anyone help???

xxx

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 20-Aug-11 13:13:22

Just had a google, and I see what you mean! They are either really aggressive, like 'I have autism, what's your problem?' apologetic or sickly 'I love my brother with autism.' Yuk, who cares? The only one on this website that you may like was no 172, 'I have an invisible disability, autism.' www.autismawarenessuk.com/acatalog/Autism_Button_Items.html Alternatively, there must be websites where you can design your own badge.

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 13:22:46

this one isn't too bad. It looks like you could ask them to make you one to suit as well.

THere is "I have Autism and can't always control behaviour" on i
Ellen's link too which might be ok?

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 17:07:03

There is a company in the usa which make these badges a friend of mine had them for her son. One sad please be patient with me I have Autisum. I'm sorry I don't know the website by try googleing usa sites. Hth

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 17:09:01

www.cafepress.co.uk/+Autism+buttons?cmp=knc--g--uk--lib--bsm--search-b--Autism_buttons&pid=3607873&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=lib--bsm&utm_content=search-b&utm_term=autism_buttons&gclid=CMjNltyg3qoCFRRC4Qodmgxn6w

Try this site smile

Marne Sat 20-Aug-11 17:36:09

We got dd's from Cafepress, loads to chose from and they had girly ones smile.

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 17:39:01

I've just put an order in im working on a 1:1 with an Autistic child from september smile

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 18:52:34

tjack please ask the parent before you use a badge on a child won't you? only I'd have your guts for garters if you put one on mine.I think it's a personal preference and your child's parents might feel the same as I do.

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 20-Aug-11 18:58:37

imho you should go for a wristband. I'd have to kill anyone who put an ASD badge on my ds grin but we use a sports style wristband with his medic alert (food allergies) and it has his other conditions on it too. We also put phone numbers on a rubber autism awareness wristband which he is happy to keep on. Why not try something like that?

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 20-Aug-11 18:59:48

autism awareness wristband

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 19:23:22

No im not buying a badge for the child lol sorry bit misleading my post I was on about the notebook and pen for me lol. smile

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 19:29:39

grin glad I got the wrong end of the stick. I was thinking that if you were my son or daughter's TA sticking a badge on them would probably be the biggest faux pas on your first day possible. Mind you I've got a reputation for being fierce so I know their TA's wouldn't dare grin

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 19:51:53

Lol insanity no its ok ive got a few friends with autistic children and this is the seccond child ive worked with. Ive already met him and his family a couple of times already so know what to expect with Autistic children well as much as you can lol smile

This particular child is going to be more interesting as he is practically non verbal so im in the process of learning makaton at the mo.

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 20-Aug-11 19:53:05

tj, watch cbeebies "something special" if you haven't already wink

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 20:01:28

noooooooooooooo mrsshrek i HATE mr bloody tumble id rather pull my own finger nails out lol grin

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 20-Aug-11 20:04:50

so one step beyond the call of duty then grin

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 20:58:04

Lol mrsshrek just slightly I would'nt even let my dcs watch him at home they used to watch it at nannies lol grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 20-Aug-11 21:34:31

Thank God for that! I had visions of you labelling your charge with a big, 'I am Autistic' badge. grin I, too, would have ripped you slowly limb from limb.

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 21:38:45

Lol Ellen I'm nice honest I'd never do that to a kid. Been tempted to label my own dcs with spawn of satan a few times lol. But not the kids I work with honest grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 20-Aug-11 21:45:40

I know, it just read like that. grin I have a DS with ASD and I'm a 1:1 TA to a DC with ASD, and I'm sure you'll be great.

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 21:53:49

Thanks Ellen I love working with dcs that need the extra support my own dd had speech and language delay. but it was nothing like what these kids have to go through. It really winds me up when people just label them as naughty kids they have know idea what them and there parents go through on a daily basis.

NotQuiteSoDesperate Sat 20-Aug-11 22:32:51

My DS is a young adult now, but a while ago I made him a card that he carries in his wallet. It just explains ASD very simply. He can then choose when he wants to show it to someone.

sneezecakesmum Sat 20-Aug-11 22:54:16

ebay have tons here
I like the yes i have autism, no i am not like rainman! there are lots but you may have to search for a fairly simple one you like

Triggles Sun 21-Aug-11 11:49:41

Okay. I have to ask about this. While I would love to have something like the wristband for DS2, he is a scarily good reader, would read this, and have questions. The problem is, he wouldn't understand it and it would most likely upset him.

Do any of you that have your children wearing wristbands or shirts with autism on them have to deal with this? We haven't told DS2 about the ASD/ADHD/etc etc because it's just too much for him. I have found myself recently avoiding explaining it to people in front of him because he is just (and only just) self-aware enough to note it and ask questions (but not enough to understand it). I don't want him to feel like there is something "wrong" with him, IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now