Talk

Advanced search

Dream feed has gone wrong. Any suggestions about how to drop it?

(8 Posts)
Starshaped Wed 12-Oct-11 18:16:01

DD is nearly 6 months and EBF. We've been doing a dream feed since she was tiny and until the dreaded 4 month sleep regression hit, it worked for us. I'd wake her at 10.45 and feed her and she'd then sleep until 4ish when she'd wake for another feed. The sleep regression really upset her sleep though and although things have improved a bit, the dream feed has completely gone to pot.

Although we're still dream feeding, it no longer guarantees a decent stretch of sleep afterwards (sometimes her first wake up is around 1ish). In addition, she now often wakes before the dream feed, so I end up feeding her earlier. I'm convinced she's waking through habit rather than hunger now as she never takes a very big feed at this time. She's also often really hard to resettle after this feed, which she never was in the past.

The fact that the dream feed isn't buying me a longer stretch of night time sleep anymore means that I'm getting fed up of staying up until 11.30ish every night. I want the occasional early night! DD won't take a bottle and the fact that she's waking in the evening means that DH and I can't go out for tea or a drink and I can't even leave her with him and nip out to see friends anymore.

In order to try and get my evenings back I want to try and drop this feed but am not sure how to best go about it. I've seen suggestions that I should either try and bring it forward by 15 minutes every few nights or just go cold turkey. Has anybody had a similar experience or does anybody have any suggestions?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 12-Oct-11 20:26:31

<waves>

When she wakes up early for the dream feed, have you tried to get dh to settle her? I would probably try that tact first. Get dh to settle her, then do the dream feed at the usual time.

It could be painful at first, but if you're sure she's not hungry, the I would give it a go.

JKSLtd Wed 12-Oct-11 20:54:55

Agree, see if DH (or anyone, grandma, etc) can settle her by rocking, shushing, dummy, whatever.

If she can go back off to sleep then you'll know she isn't really hungry.

I'd be tempted to ditch the dreamfeed altogether at this point tbh.

Feed her if she won't settle but don't go into her and disturb her if she is actually sleeping.

Starshaped Wed 12-Oct-11 22:18:13

Thanks both.

Well she's woken up and DH has been despatched to resettle her. Fingers crossed...

I do want to drop this feed JKS -hopefully we can encourage her to wake naturally for a feed a bit later on.

DH and I psyching ourselves up for a battle with her!

JKSLtd Thu 13-Oct-11 09:28:57

How did it go?

Starshaped Thu 13-Oct-11 10:35:28

Not too bad. DH resettled her easily and then she slept until 12. She'd been down for 5 hours then, so I fed her when she woke and she went back down until 5.

Hopefully with a few nights of resettling her at 10ish, she'll begin to forget that she ever had a feed at that time!

JKSLtd Thu 13-Oct-11 10:45:08

Sounds pretty ideal smile

Well done to your DH for settling her!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 13-Oct-11 13:14:35

Good news smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now