Talk

Advanced search

Waterproof trousers vs salopettes?

(21 Posts)
EduCated Wed 25-Jan-17 18:17:01

Asking on behalf of my lovely mother, who has signed herself up for a skiiing trip. She has never skied in her life.

She's accumulating kit (mostly from Aldi!) but isn't sure what to do about the bottom half. Her friend who has skied before has recommended going for waterproof trousers over salopettes. Friend said that she finds salopettes less comfortable and that waterproofs are more versatile. Realistically she's more likely to use waterproof trousers in future than salopettes, and will only spend about 3 days skiing, and a couple more doing 'snow activities'.

Questions therefore are:

Would you agree?

If so, how good do the waterproof trousers need to be? For example her coat is 10000mm but the cheap trousers in Mountain Warehouse were only 3000. Would they be good enough?

Any recommendations? She's a 12/14, about 5'7. Doesn't want to spend too much but also wants to be dry and comfortable.

Thanking you muchly!

EduCated Wed 25-Jan-17 19:22:55

Hopeful bump cake

AuntieStella Wed 25-Jan-17 19:28:52

I thought for one moment that you meant waterproof trousers literally over salopettes!

Salopettes can be warmer round the midriff, but if you have good thermals and long layering activewear then that really shouldn't be a chilly zone. And

Are you near a branch of Decathlon? They will have all sorts of ski trousers and other mountain gear.

Something like these might be suitable?

marmiteloversunite Wed 25-Jan-17 19:32:44

I would go for sallopettes over waterproofs. They are warmer. They fit around the ski boots properly so that snow doesn't get into your boots. They are shaped for skiing and usually breathable as well as snow proof. She might find some bargain Ines on eBay or tkmaxx.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 25-Jan-17 20:20:58

Do you actually mean salopettes - ie chest height and total PITA when you need the loo - or ski trousers?

EduCated Wed 25-Jan-17 20:54:26

TBH, Lizard, we have no idea what we mean! We are not a skiing family...

Asuitablemum Wed 25-Jan-17 21:56:51

Salopettes. Charity shops have loads at the moment especially in wealthy areas. Just go to a very wealthy high street and browse the charity shops. Most are barely worn.

StarBurger Wed 25-Jan-17 22:06:02

Tkmax sell ski wear fairly cheap.. I'd go for salopettes over waterproofs personally. It gets cold on ski lifts. Also for the extra padding too as she's going to fall over alot!!

Any way boarding is where it's at! wink

EduCated Thu 26-Jan-17 07:09:50

Next silly question - what does one where under salopettes/ski trousers?

But thanks all - she's very impressed by those people on the internet (she's also only in her 50s so have told her to pull herself together) grin

MaybeDoctor Thu 26-Jan-17 07:13:43

Definitely purpose-built ski trousers - it will be cold!

Look on ebay or in charity shops.

StarBurger Thu 26-Jan-17 13:01:53

Depends on how cold it is. I wear thermals either trousers or tights. Or both. If it's fairly warm I don't wear anything underneath.
I've got thermal ski top and trousers they are brilliant lets the sweat out but keeps you warm. They are thin and not bulky. Layers are the key. I wear a vest top underneath my top thermals so if I get too hot I can take the thermals off. Also would recommend a micro fleece top. smile

Asuitablemum Thu 26-Jan-17 17:20:23

Underneath I would wear thermal leggings/tops. Or if you don't have them just regular leggings/vest tops/long sleeve gym kit.

AuntieStella Thu 26-Jan-17 17:23:20

Uniqlo heattech range are brilliant for layering for skiing.

LIZS Thu 26-Jan-17 17:28:52

Salopettes , they are padded so can cushion falls and rough chair or button lifts. Waterproof trousers need to be layer underneath but are good for activities such as cross country skiing or walking over leggings.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:16

You can wear either thermal leggings or running tights like Ron hills under ski trousers /salopettes. I'm sure some people just wear track suit bottoms.

Actually the first year I skied I skied in waterproof trousers, tracksuit trousers, a fleece and a goretex jacket. But that was Scotland in march and it was quite warm.

I was certainly glad by the time I went to The Alps I'd got ski trousers and a ski jacket.

Tk maxx is good, Go Oudoors, probably decathalon if you have one close.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 26-Jan-17 22:31:10

Definitely ski trousers/salopettes!

For the 'base layers' make sure they aren't cotton as it doesn't wick the sweat away. I find Merino or silk best - if you have a look on some New Zealand sites you may well pick up some for a reasonable price as they have their summer sales on ATM. Also, she'll probably find the base layers come in handy even when not skiing.

Artandco Thu 26-Jan-17 22:32:33

You definitely want ski trousers rather than waterproof as will be frozen otherwise

Wear thermals under top and bottom halves, add jumper.

Can wear combination of several warm tights or joggers or thick tights and pj bottoms under salopettes if she wants to save buying thermals just for this (but I wear ski legging themals under trousers all winter in uk also so can get good use from them.

Zip or button thick cardigan better that basic jumper as can undo if getting too warm

EduCated Fri 27-Jan-17 17:26:34

Thank you! This is all very helpful, we've been going round in circles trying to work out what would be best, so much of the advice seems to be aimed at people who are likely to ski quite a bit!

Abzs Fri 27-Jan-17 18:01:35

I'd say the waterproofness of the trousers is more important than that of the jacket. A hydrostatic head measurement of 3000mm is fine for falling snow, but if she sits on a snowy chairlift the compression of snow and fabric will be greater than that and she'll get wet. And then cold and miserable. There's nothing worse than damp trousers IMO.

I have a cheaper ski jacket and expensive trousers (five years old and good as new, I'll get my money's worth). I wear merino wool thermals, two layers or more if it's cold, underneath.

Biking007 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:03:35

Look on eBay for some salopettes secondhand. Sports direct have googles and neck gaiters which are good for cold days. Thermals we just buy ones in supermarket and layer up. Good gloves it's no fun if you get cold.

opinionatedfreak Sun 29-Jan-17 10:55:54

I wear thermal leggings (prefer my cheap regatta ones to my expensive icebreaker ones), I have a variety of thermal tops - on a normal day I'll just wear a thin one, if it is super cold I'll put on an extra one. Most of these are merino but various brands.
On top I have ski trousers and a jacket.

My essentials are a neck gaiter and inner smart phone gloves for my ski mitts. So I can pull my mitts off and use my phone. Essential!!

My helmet is also super toasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now