Talk

Advanced search

Sepsis webchat?

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 25-Feb-18 12:50:27

Hi MNHQ

The Archers is currently featuring a sepsis storyline. Many posters on the threads here and other Archers-related sites clearly have lots of questions about sepsis.

There have also been some threads recently from posters wondering whether to go to A&E, call 111/GP, wait until GP surgery opens who were encouraged by other posters to seek help immediately and subsequently were diagnosed with sepsis.

Would it be possible to set up a sepsis webchat, e.g. with someone from the Sepsis Trust, to answer poster's questions?

This may well have been done in the past but if so, I think it could do with repeating.

Thanks very much
BOW

Mishappening Sun 25-Feb-18 12:51:13

When did septicaemia become sepsis all of a sudden?

tethersend Sun 25-Feb-18 12:53:14

Having lost my mum to sepsis a few months ago, I would welcome this. The Sepsis trust are absolutely fantastic.

tethersend Sun 25-Feb-18 12:57:06

Sepsis is the body's inflammatory reaction to a severe infection whilst Septicaemia is the infection itself; it's the bacteria in the blood that causes sepsis.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 25-Feb-18 12:59:52

Yes, sepsis is when the body's immune response goes into overdrive and starts to attack vital organs. Can be due to any infection, not just bacterial.

JenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:05:24

Hi BOW,
I think a lot of MNers will feel the same way. I certainly do since I listened to that episode.
I'll put it to the team and see what we can do.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 25-Feb-18 13:07:05

Thank you JenMumsnet flowers

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Feb-18 11:13:35

Hi again BOW,

Just letting you know that we're going to be speaking to Public Health England about the possibility of a webchat on this topic. Thanks again for asking.

In the meantime, just thought we'd flag our webpage on Sepsis in babies and children which was produced in association with PHE.

We'll be back with an update as soon as possible.

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 26-Feb-18 11:15:52

That's great! Thank you DawnMumsnet flowers

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 16-Mar-18 11:21:46

Yoo hoo @MNHQ !

Any update on this yet?

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Mar-18 12:30:04

Yoo hoo BOW smile

Have just given the team a nudge - will be back with an update as soon as I can.

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 16-Mar-18 13:56:26

Thanks Dawn

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 17-Mar-18 13:11:00

Right BOW, have heard back from the team. They've said that PHE are hopefully going to be hooking us up with an expert on this topic.

Sorry that we don't have anything more concrete to report at this stage - we'll let you know as soon as we have any more information.

Thanks (as ever!) for your patience. smile

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 17-Mar-18 13:52:42

That's great to hear Dawn. Thanks v much flowers

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 14:27:22

Hi there, Just to let you know that we're running a webchat about Sepsis with Dr Ed Gaynor on Tuesday 1st May between 9 and 10pm. Dr Gaynor is a paediatric gastroenterologist and works with Public Health England to help educate and improve the healthcare of children. The discussion thread will go live over the next couple of days and we'll post a link to the webchat thread as soon as it's live.

lovestea Fri 27-Apr-18 00:17:06

The Archers story resonated with me.

A year ago my 29 year old son who was in rude health sustained a small scratch to his finger while cleaning out the shower head in his flat.
After 48 hours it had become red and swollen and he was seen by Out Of Hours who prescribed him Co Amoxiclav (lowest dosage). He saw me about 15 minutes later. The veins in the affected arm were red and were starting to track up his arm. This was seen by the Doctor. This was about 8pm in the evening.
The following morning I phoned to see how he was.
Now he was really ill. Huge swollen arm. Bunch of lymph nodes in his axilla like grapes. Temperature of 41degrees. Feeling sick. Hot yet shivering. Slightly not with it.
Drove him to A&E straight away and straight through he went after the staff set eyes on him. Within 10 minutes he was on IV antibiotics, his fingernail was removed and the finger was cut to allow the infection to drain.
He remained on IV antibiotics for three days. Dressings and medication for his pyrexia
Sepsis is so easily missed in the early stages.
Thank you for bringing up this really important issue.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Apr-18 08:04:12

Hi @BoreOfWhabylon - am just flagging you here in case you've missed Rachel's update. Hope that 1st May works for you (that's next Tuesday).

And @lovestea - that's an alarming story about your son. So glad that things turned out okay for him. flowers

Mooey89 Fri 27-Apr-18 08:16:11

I’m really glad you’re doing this.
3 years ago, at 25, I had my gallbladder out. Shortly after, I developed sepsis. None of the doctors spotted it.
Eventually one of the junior doctors listened to my mum and sepsis was diagnosed - I had an emergency op and IV antibiotics and was is intensive care.
I nearly died. I’m fully recovered now, but I’m so passionate about speaking awareness of this illness, so well done.

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 27-Apr-18 10:43:07

Thanks @DawnMumsnet, I had missed RachelMumsnet's update.

So pleased you're doing this. Unforch I will be away on Tuesday - a meeting related to this subject, as it happens!

I do hope lots of MNers will be able to join the webchat - as is evidenced by the latest posts here, this is something we all need to be aware of.

Thanks again @MNHQ flowers

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Apr-18 11:15:08

Oh, that's a shame you won't be here for the actual webchat, @BoreOfWhabylon.

We'll be posting a link to the webchat thread shortly - once it's up and running, do feel free to have your say/ask any questions in advance. smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Apr-18 17:03:05

The thread is now live of the webchat. As DawnMumsnet says, if you're unable to join us live on Tuesday eve, please leave questions for Ed in advance on the thread.

Webchat about sepsis with Dr Ed Gaynor

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 27-Apr-18 17:10:14

Thanks Rachel

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: