Talk

Advanced search

Native ads on Mumsnet Talk topics

(137 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Oct-16 11:14:43

Hi all,
I wanted to give you a heads up about some Native Ads we're introducing on Talk (images attached). They will appear on Talk topic home pages and will only appear once per page. We have tested them on users - we tested them in threads and on Talk topics and the feedback was that users weren't so keen on seeing them within a thread but didn't mind them on the topic pages, so that's where we're putting them. Hopefully you won't find them intrusive and they may even be interesting/useful sometimes. Obviously we already have a similar type of thing with our in-house inline ads on Talk theads, so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock/ imposition. Please do let us know your thoughts and as ever, if there are any advertisers/ partners you'd actively like us to seek out then please do let us know.

FruVikingessOla Mon 17-Oct-16 18:11:42

I can barely see your screenshot, Justine.

But if either of these two (House Of Horrors and Little Terrors - 'presented by eBay' ) are the same kind of thing - then they can bugger off, because of their AdChoices arrows they look 'spammy'.

No way am I clicking on either of those threads.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 17-Oct-16 18:13:54

I don't think they are actually threads. I would expect that, in clicking, you are redirected to the ad page.

FruVikingessOla Mon 17-Oct-16 18:16:08

I'm sure you're right, honeysuckle.

But they still look 'spammy'.

taggies Mon 17-Oct-16 18:51:20

Hopefully you won't find them intrusive and they may even be interesting/useful sometimes.

hmm

SnaggleBeast Tue 18-Oct-16 16:41:22

They are annoying and intrusive I'm afraid. is mumsnet particularly hard up at the moment that it needs to shove adverts right in our face amongst the threads? It's really fucking annoying.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Tue 18-Oct-16 16:44:38

They look like the kind of thing you get when you have a computer virus, horrible

Hillfarmer Tue 18-Oct-16 16:49:04

Yup. Very unnerving and annoying and in yer face.

Eevee77 Tue 18-Oct-16 16:50:21

I'm sorry but it is intrusive and just awful tbh. I think it would be extremely off putting for new users too.

Eevee77 Tue 18-Oct-16 16:55:19

I also accidentally clicked on one thinking it was just a sponsored thread with the addition of a photo and it froze my phone so cheers for that.

LilyRose88 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:08:45

Really don't like them. I thought they were spam or my computer had a virus.

44PumpLane Tue 18-Oct-16 17:32:39

I accidentally clicked on one, it opened multiple new web pages and then the eBay app. When I tried to shut it all down it stared again.

Annoying and intrusive I'm afraid.

FrancisCrawford Tue 18-Oct-16 17:36:16

Annoying and intrusive

Which is pretty unanimous so far, if you are listening MN. Any thoughts on the negative feedback and what you might do as a result?

Fluffsnuts Tue 18-Oct-16 17:40:09

Very annoying, and dishonest. They are masquerading as threads, but are adverts. It says 'sponsored by...' which suggests that it's a thread but with an advert in it, not just an advert.

However I appreciate that mumsnet needs to make money. Sigh.

Kidnapped Tue 18-Oct-16 18:03:45

Very intrusive actually. They are designed to catch the eye of course (they are in the most prominent spot and consist of a picture and a message), so difficult to avoid in what is otherwise a text screen.

If you go to the trouble of blocking ads yourself then is annoying to have them pop up on each single Topic home page.

I had the "Is Your Little Terror's Halloween Costume Ready?" ad in the Bereavement topic. Which is perhaps not great (understatement).

Also, it will encourage even more people to just look at Active Convos instead (which won't feature the Native Ads as I understand it).

AtMyHouse Tue 18-Oct-16 18:23:05

I REFUSE to but ANYTHING that comes up on an ad like that. On principle.

AtMyHouse Tue 18-Oct-16 18:24:32

Buy, not but...

Queenbean Tue 18-Oct-16 18:25:34

Annoying and intrusive

Can't you put your resources in to:
- turning colours back
- reinstating deleted threads from TIO
- sorting out the fonts on TIO

Many many threads all over site stuff about the things which are broken and need to be fixed

Now another thing you've added to annoy users

The attached example is completely inappropriate

IamCarcass Tue 18-Oct-16 19:05:20

Horrid. Horrid. Horrid.

PolterGoose Tue 18-Oct-16 19:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Tue 18-Oct-16 19:18:53

T0ddlerSlave Tue 18-Oct-16 19:22:32

I'd suggest blocking them from certain topics as detailed in pps if you can't be more careful about what is shown.

FruVikingessOla Tue 18-Oct-16 20:40:40

So .....

.............. this idea isn't going too well, is it, Justine?

Especially when they're popping up in sensitive topics ...............

PolterGoose Tue 18-Oct-16 20:43:55

bullshift Tue 18-Oct-16 20:50:35

atmyhouse I also actively refrain from clicking on, purchasing or otherwise engaging with products promoted through these methods.

(Especially when the targeting is so evidently poor and, as shown above, offensive.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now