Talk

Advanced search

Offensive nicknames

(109 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 11-Jun-16 13:01:10

I'm going to be flamed, I know!

I get that people just want to avoid being quoted in the Mail but - sigh - do we really have to have so many names with fuck, cunt, twat in them?

I'm not anti swearing but I've just had it drummed into me that these words are offensive. I don't mind, for instance, 'DP was 4 hours late and I am so fucked off, AIBU to rhink he's a twat?' I wouldn't personally but you know, free speech and all.

But that's very different to just having them there. I've just replied to another poster who's username is nothing but swear words and three of the sort generally considered to be most offensive.

I don't know; I just don't like it - does anyone feel the same as me? Or am I being cats-bum-mouthed?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Sat 11-Jun-16 13:10:14

Yes, I think it is awful too.

Down with that sort of thing !

AnyFucker Sat 11-Jun-16 13:10:50

And on our Queen's birthday too.

EatShitDerek Sat 11-Jun-16 13:10:57

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 11-Jun-16 13:11:53

Well, not technically, AF

Technically her birthday is in April smile

TheDuchyOfGrandFenwick Sat 11-Jun-16 13:11:58

I think you're being a little daft tbh. As long as it's not racist etc or aimed at another poster then I don't see what's to be upset about.

MsKite Sat 11-Jun-16 13:12:16

There should be more swear words and fewer numbers. Things would be better here then.

sofato5miles Sat 11-Jun-16 13:12:20

Or for the very posh.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 11-Jun-16 13:12:30

I'm not upset, I just really don't like it grin

BishopBrennansArse Sat 11-Jun-16 13:14:43

Is Arse on the no no list or is it sufficiently mild?

AnyFucker Sat 11-Jun-16 13:15:01

You mean you are not celebrating our Sovereign's official birthday, Kate ? And you a member of her family too. Shameful.

I am so happy to celebrate I am considering a name change to HappyFuckingBirthdayLiz.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 11-Jun-16 13:17:35

I am merely her shoes, I am sorry to say, and it's a tad wet here. There was a little party on the high street but it's all been put away sad

I think arse is mild enough to be fine smile

expatinscotland Sat 11-Jun-16 13:20:12

Ooo, we haven't had one of these threads in AGES! They are always such fun.

Coconutty Sat 11-Jun-16 13:24:27

GrimmauldPlace Sat 11-Jun-16 13:28:16

I've heard that there's another forum out there where there's no swearing allowed it could be an urban myth, but it seems like a magical place for the sensitive ones out there.

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Jun-16 13:31:30

The ones obsessing about the Daily Mail are very annoying.

PortiaCastis Sat 11-Jun-16 13:31:36

Well cuntyMcCuntface has a definite ring to it

WellErrr Sat 11-Jun-16 13:34:38

Fuck off then.

.....seriously though? Are you being serious?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 11-Jun-16 13:34:43

As you know, we don't delete just for swears but we will mail an OP if their name is beyond the pale and ask them to change it. We only do this a few times a year so it's not a huge issue but if you see a NN that you feel tips over into the grotesque then do report and we'll take a look.

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Jun-16 13:35:01

I thought everyone claimed to 'not notice usernames' these days anyway. wink

WellErrr Sat 11-Jun-16 13:36:27

Shall we all be user1073790636436s instead?

daisychain01 Sat 11-Jun-16 13:36:42

arse is great, nothing wrong with a good arse grin

I've got used to the F word (how twee am I) just through being on MN long enough.

The only way I can ever say the CWord is to go "Charlie Uniform November Tango", so I don't like it in someone's NN because I can't bring myself to say a word that's derogatory towards a woman's parts.

AnyFucker Sat 11-Jun-16 13:36:53

Rebecca I'd like to nominate all the ones with mummy, user and several dozen numbers as grotesque

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now