Talk

Advanced search

Bancroft's 11+ results

(21 Posts)
P211T269 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:54:15

Apparently all results for this years 11+ entrance messed up. An email sent to all Prep School parents to say they messed up the grading and new grades have been sent which now suprecedes the original grades. Total shambles and it seems the external candidates results were also distorted!!

BeastKrabb Thu 23-Feb-17 16:04:19

Do you know if it affects the full fee and the scholarships offers made?

P211T269 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:11:55

yes all across the board!!

Popinpopout Thu 23-Feb-17 16:15:44

That's scary so what are they going to do about it? Did their grades got messed up before or after interviews?
I don't have DC doing 11+ this year but may do so in future.

P211T269 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:30:21

Nothing - from what I understand they have offered places/scholarships to people who were not eligible. In the process the deserving candidates lost a chance

P211T269 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:32:03

Also think twice before considering Bancroft's! The New Head is a moron not at all like Mary Ireland who was always keen on high achievements.
This Head will bring the school down

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Thu 23-Feb-17 17:14:47

Please elaborate, has there been additional problems with the new head as well as the entrance ones?

EmpressoftheMundane Thu 23-Feb-17 21:00:23

Wow, pretty dramatic stuff. I live very local to the school and haven't heard the faintest rumour. Are you sure you have your facts straight?

TheTruth78230 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:56:43

P211T269 Do you have a child at Bancrofts school?

LaLaLand0hDear Thu 23-Feb-17 22:24:42

Firstly P211T269, can I suggest that before you create such a post and slander a school or it's new head, you try and get your facts right first? I assume from your comments that you do not have a child at Bancroft's and are getting your information third hand!

FACTS:
The results were correct, it was the Grading that was incorrect.
The Grades ONLY affect children from the Prep school. They do not apply Grades to external children.
NO external candidates would have been affected and those children that got a place deserved it, and probably worked very hard for it!!!
It does not affect Fee Paying or Scholarship places (either for External or Internal candidates). The Grades do not impact this.

I am a parent from the Prep School and have first hand experience of this! These are the facts.

Popinpopout Fri 24-Feb-17 08:06:30

Thank you LaLaLand0hDear for the clarification!

L123M456 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:11:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 24-Feb-17 10:35:00

You seem to have namechanged? Are you saying that some of the prep children have erroneously been told they have failed and therefore cannot move up? I don't understand.

L123M456 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:53:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 24-Feb-17 11:05:02

So the test papers were not remarked but the grades redone? Have you all asked for a meeting with him to discuss? Might be a simple explanation. I would recommend doing that before starting threads about him on a public website?

P211T269 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:48:27

Chestnuts yes parents have! Hope you send your child their spend all the money and then see the outcome

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 24-Feb-17 16:19:48

My child is already in a school so won't be going there but Bancrofts was one of the ones we had an offer from in previous years. It seemed like a very slick operation so I am surprised. It doesn't sound though as if this grades error has had any real impact on the children. i.e messages above say they all automatically move up to the next school regardless of the test.

LoughtonHappy Fri 24-Feb-17 21:18:19

P211T269 - I am a parent with children at Bancroft's and I can assure you that it is an active, progressive, challenging and excellent place for them.

You ask what you get for the money?
Great teaching, great facilities, happy children.
32nd in the country for GCSEs (how does that compare with the local competition?)
25 Oxbridge offers (Forest 6, Chigwell 9, Woodford County 10)

www.bancrofts.org/record-number-of-oxbridge-offers/
www.best-schools.co.uk/uk-school-league-tables/gcse-grades/

LoughtonHappy Fri 24-Feb-17 21:29:31

Parents of prep school pupils are guaranteed a place in the senior school.
They should be thankful, as I hear there were almost 700 applicants for about 130 places in the senior school - half of which are taken by prep pupils.
Many of the external applicants that were unsuccessful will therefore have scored higher than the prep school children in the entrance exam - you should feel sorry for them in particular and just enjoy the luxury of knowing your child is going to a great school...

50andfun Tue 28-Feb-17 09:09:38

P211T269: are you a Bancroft's parents? If so, I trust you won't be taking up your guaranteed place in September! I also suggest you get your facts correct before scaremongering and throwing dirt. The error, for which I understand Bancroft's has apologised to year 6 parents, only concerned the internal grades given to Prep pupils. The marks were correct but there was a mistake in the conversion of marks to grades. Scholarships and offers of places to external candidates were not impacted at all. Mistakes happen - just look at the Oscars on Sunday!

Flash74 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:06:32

I have children at the school and I can say that both schools are amazing. The prep school make it their mission to nurture every child and fully prep them for the Senior school 11+. My children absolutely adore Bancrofts, and they are very different in their abilities.
Unlike Chigwell, you do not receive a letter saying that you should consider another school. You have a guaranteed place at the senior school and they take responsibility for ensuring your child does the best they can. The senior school comes with some problems, as per most senior schools (nothing out of the ordinary), but the new Head has only just arrived, so he's hardly taken his coat off yet! He teaches English to the students and his standard / expectation is very high, so to say he's a Moron and will bring the school down is rude & ridiculous! I'm not sure who's written this spiteful post, but I would say it's utter nonsense and obviously written by an 'entitled' parent who's child hasn't received what they felt, for some reason, was rightfully theirs (i.e a scholarship)! Sour grapes!!
Bancroft's has a reputation for excellence and that reputation is rightfully earned. It's an amazing school, which provides amazing opportunities for its children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now