Is it too soon to start a 1st March (secondary school allocation day) support thread?

(570 Posts)
teddygirlonce Fri 03-Feb-17 14:37:24

DD has six good options on her CAF - we will be happy if she gets any of those six but there are no other local schools we would be happy for her to be allocated/offered shock - and private schooling is not an option.

So just a bit nervous and already counting down the days until we find out which school she's been allocated (if at all).

TeenAndTween Fri 03-Feb-17 16:03:57

Whatever you do, try to be positive about the allocated school, even if you are then working hard in the background to find an alternate.

Hope you get top choice though!

MirandaWest Fri 03-Feb-17 16:05:18

We're waiting for that day too. We are in catchement, DS is in year 8 there and so there should be no reason why DD won't get in but will still be good to actually know

golfbuggy Fri 03-Feb-17 16:21:03

DD is also a cert for our local secondary, but still be nice to see it in writing! Two of her closest friends who've applied for the same school are however, rather more dubious, so she's very much focussed on seeing if they will get in.

wangxiaosara Fri 03-Feb-17 20:33:38

In the same boat here, DS passed a grammar school entrance exam but we are out of catchment. We are also waiting for the result of an independent school and hoping to get a place with some bursary. Finger crossed.

Edna1969 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:55:32

Certainly not too early. I was wondering if I was the only one going quietly mad waiting.

We are very fortunate that we have good schools near us. But I'd be massively disappointed if we don't get our first choice for DD1 as we all feel it is the best fit for her.

Counting down the days...

Thistly Sat 04-Feb-17 23:32:16

Yes, I want to get the email. Dd has an older sibling in the school, but that does not guarantee her a place... It is a very oversubscribed school, and the current year 6 is a much larger cohort in my region than the previous 5 or 6 years.

Not long to wait now though...

teddygirlonce Sun 05-Feb-17 11:10:57

I'm not sure we will get DD's first choice (which she really wants), as we live a fair distance away. She passed the 'arts test' (which allocates 24 places in the year group irrespective of distance/banding), but have been given to believe (by another parent) that she won't stand a chance with the mark she got sad, although I'm taking the 'advice' with a healthy pinch of salt.

DD's old sibling goes to a single-sex selective school so that wasn't even an option on her form.

I think being realistic, she'll get choice 2 or 3...

Well it's only 24 days to wait now so time is zooming by - only just over three weeks.

Agree that for some, 1st March is only really the beginning of the journey not the end but not sure we want months of uncertainty.

tovelitime Sun 05-Feb-17 11:51:50

Mine is a sibling so should get a sibling place, she better had as we have only put that school down but I do want to see it in writing!

dancemom Sun 05-Feb-17 14:12:43

We don't find out until 30 April here sad

2014newme Sun 05-Feb-17 14:14:24

No

crazycrofter Sun 05-Feb-17 20:34:31

Yes, it's been such a long wait! Ds got a score in the 11plus which we hope will be good enough but it's borderline and the scores round here (Birmingham) go up every year. We don't really have a plan B either! Roll on March 1st!

justgivemethepinot Sun 05-Feb-17 22:22:04

Not too soon at all, we're catchment for second choice school but close enough to 1st choice to be in with a very good chance. Could go either way so......roll on 1 March!!smile

user1484655514 Mon 06-Feb-17 12:12:18

I am so nervous my daughter picked a faith school ( we aren't that faith) and she has her heart set on her first choice. I have been told last year the emails went out just after midnight I may stay up all night !!!

Imnotaslimjim Mon 06-Feb-17 12:19:03

Another one waiting nervously here. DS has applied for 3 and we're pretty certain of his top choice but if he doesn't get it we have to choose between a half hour bus ride and the worst performing school in the town that is 20 mins walk away. (not a bad walk in the grand scheme of things but I don't really want him in that school)

Girlwhowearsglasses Mon 06-Feb-17 12:26:15

Yes I'm counting the days. OP DC did similar art test (maybe same one?) but that school was not our top choice (to far- nice school). I had a detailed chat with the deputy about likelihood of getting in on his placing (60ish out on a list that thirty get guaranteed entry) and she said he'd be likely to get in eventually because lots of kids in the first thirty may go elsewhere (London so lots and lots of alternative schools)- so you may find she gets a place actually.

Okite Mon 06-Feb-17 12:32:44

shock we only have one school locally so it's that or nothing, I didn't even bother putting any other choices down. Mind boggles at the thought of having to go through 6!

justgivemethepinot Mon 06-Feb-17 12:36:09

I didn't put 6 down, the fifth choice was a nightmare distance so I'm not sure why I even bothered, it's unrealistic to expect people to fill up all 6 choices in a lot of cases.

teddygirlonce Mon 06-Feb-17 13:33:16

Girlwhowearsglasses - that is reassuring. TBQH that's what I thought about DD's score vs 'perfect 100% scores' - the school wouldn't have passed so many unless they expect a high % to be prioritising (an)other schools over theirs. Several girls DD talked to on the day of the arts tests indicated that it's their 3/4/5/6th place fall-back option (if they don't get into more academically selective schools).

teddygirlonce Mon 06-Feb-17 13:34:12

dancemom that's a long wait - are you not in the UK?

MrGrumpy01 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:52:22

We only get 3, I am really hoping we get 1 or 2, both undersubscribed last year. School 2 has a larger PAN as it covers such a large geographical area and is the only school but we are out of authority. School 1 we are out of catchment area.

I have had birthdays for my youngest 2 to focus my mind on instead but they are gone so all I have is the 3 week wait now.

If it all goes wrong and we get school 3 I will most likely cry. I am having a 'should I put school 2 first?' moment but what is done is done.

justgivemethepinot Mon 06-Feb-17 22:57:06

mrgrumpy you can request to be placed on the waiting list for 2nd choice if needs be.

MrGrumpy01 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:57:35

It is a bit worrying though as I was having a casual conversation with the mum of a classmate and it suddenly dawned on me that she thought they would receive offers from up to the 3 schools and then they would pick from them. I'm not sure if other parents think the same, despite the primary school place being allocated in the same way as secondary. (Unless of course she just put the one school down)

MrGrumpy01 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:59:43

Thanks. I thinks I may consider that. I'll see how I feel in 3 weeks.

justgivemethepinot Mon 06-Feb-17 23:00:44

I don't know where you are but round here it's unlikely you get a choice of three unless you are offered one then offered a place from being on the waiting list of others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now