Zip oyster 16+

(14 Posts)
janinlondon Tue 01-Nov-16 12:56:39

Is there a zip oyster 16+ expert out there somewhere please? DD takes national rail trains to school each day. She always specified a monthly season ticket from home station to school station, not via London terminals. Since changing her 11-15 zip to the 16+zip this term her monthly bill has doubled in price from £24 to £46.70. TFL say its national rail's fault. National rail say its TFLs fault. Neither can really explain it or help find a cheaper option. I've trawled through all the terms and conditions but I am thick. Why is the bill double?

Seeline Wed 02-Nov-16 08:46:14

The zip card allows travel on most rail services at half adult rate - I don't know if this includes season tickets?
How much would an adult season ticket cost?
Does she buy it at a machine or a ticket office?

11-15 card is child rate and 16+ is half adult rate, maybe this is where the price increase has come from?

Seeline Wed 02-Nov-16 09:01:51

No - both offer half the adult rate.

I don't suppose there has been a fare increase at the same time?

Has her time of travel changed - my DS rail fare is more if he msses the early train home (off peak). The one 20 mins later is peak time (at 4.15pm confused )

Although... TFL says 16+ travelcards are child rate even if fares on NR are half adult rate (which on a quick google is pretty much the same thing)

Is the season ticket a rail only one or a travelcard?

I agree with seeline - you need to find out the adult cost, because she should be paying half that if it's just national rail.

NW7Ranter Wed 02-Nov-16 09:46:42

Before, your child had a child rate National rail ticket between the two stations which she can't get now as she is over 16. She now appears to have a travelcard - this would have cost the same when she was under 16 but didn't need the extra flexibility. So she probably has a different type of ticket hence the fare increase.

janinlondon Wed 02-Nov-16 09:51:21

Thanks all. I have finally had an answer from National Rail. Child fares are available to 16+ zip holders on all fares EXCEPT season tickets. These were available to them when they were on 11-15, but not once they are on the 16+. I have been given a refund as the cost was actually no saving on using pay as you go oyster zip. I cant say I see any logic, but there you go!

Seeline Wed 02-Nov-16 10:07:28

Glad you got an answer! Does seem a bit weird that you can have a season ticket before 16 but not after.....

titchy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:34:46

Is the problem you're buying a point to point season? I don't know what zone home and school are, but a zone 5-6 (e.g) travelcard would get the discount and might be cheaper. Or can she get a bus instead?

janinlondon Wed 02-Nov-16 11:00:14

Titchy - she wants a season monthly (the only one that can be sold point to point and on which we can specify not via central London), but they sold her the zone 2-3 travelcard, which even with discount is twice the price. She cannot buy the season monthly with discount any more now that she's on the zip 16+. It is the only type of card that is now excluded from zip16+ options. She could take three buses, but that takes hours...! She will use payg.

janinlondon Wed 02-Nov-16 11:01:04

Seeline - yes, TFL and national rail have admitted they are in dispute about it but that there is no likely resolution....

titchy Wed 02-Nov-16 11:37:05

It's ridiculous I agree. Your council probably doesn't have a student discount card either as you're in London. We're just outside, but travelling into the zones, and dd has a discount card from our council which gets her a third off the adult price of a point to point season.

janinlondon Wed 02-Nov-16 11:50:50

(Just posting this for archive for future searches)
If your child has changed to a 16+ zip oyster from an 11-15 zip oyster they are no longer eligible for discounts on season tickets on services by national rail.

Blu Thu 03-Nov-16 08:27:19

Thank you for this JanInLondon: you endured the research on this so we don't have to!

What a dog's dinner!

Sort them out, Sadiq!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now