Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can you talk me through divorce proceedings?

(3 Posts)
Zhan Thu 13-Apr-17 23:38:31

Been married two years.

I dream of being single and after the past few days, I'm more determined to become so.

How does one even start proceedings??

Situation - he works full time £36k pa
I work casual hours in NHS as many or as little hours as I want - if I worked full time I can bring in £22k Pa

House is jointly owned. He put more in than me inititially (I put £2k in, he put £20k in!) but since moving in 4 years ago we've both contributed to what's left of the mortgage (currently on £100k).

If a solicitor was to say DH has to sell it, he'll purposely drag his heels and take years to do so. Is there any way I could keep it and pay him off??

PaterPower Fri 14-Apr-17 08:49:52

If he agreed to let you then you could, but how are you going to get a mortgage to cover his deposit plus half the equity and the 100k still owed on 22k pa?

Two years seems very quick for a marriage to collapse. Is it really irretrievable? What is making you "dream of being single?"

PaterPower Fri 14-Apr-17 08:52:18

And if you mean keep it and pay him off gradually then no, I don't believe a court would order that, although I'm not a solicitor. They generally try and go for clean splits, unless there are dc that need housing long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now