Recommended Purchase Areas? Watford, East Ham, Plaistow, Barking

(10 Posts)
cheesesalad Mon 06-Jul-20 17:07:34

Hi everyone,

I’ve found Mumsnet so useful, so wanted to put our own question up. We are a young professional couple with a budget of £400k. No kids, but probably on the horizon. Looking for a 2-3 bed period house with a garden if possible. Very much want to stay in London, as parents are North & South so we'd be 'in the middle' travel wise.

We're looking at Watford, Some parts of Bushey, Barking, Plaistow, East Ham, Manor Park

We'd happily live in any of the above listed areas as they've all pretty much got what we’re looking for as well as massive potential which excites us. Our question is, what are the recommended roads/areas within the above places that we should be looking at?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
OneforMahler Mon 08-Feb-21 21:04:51

Hi cheesesalad, we live in East Ham (12 years now) and love it - it's a bit run down in parts but it has a great community, amazing schools, fantastic parks and increasingly nice cafes, pubs and restaurants popping up (check out East Blam blog). We are currently needing to upsize (larger house in East Ham) due to both working from home and are selling our house in the Burgess Road area which is a great neighbourhood for young couples looking to start a family. If you're still interested in buying, our house might well suit you as it's great for young couple (our recent young professional buyers just sadly had to drop out last minute due to mortgage issues) - do feel free to DM me if so!

earsup Mon 08-Feb-21 22:38:05

I know all those areas and wouldnt want to live there really...to be honest...manor park is very depressing, yet posh wanstead is nearby and super expensive, as is plaistow which has a lot of gang issues but i think has better housing stock and more going on...near the station is the market etc.....barking is drab and huge council estates so all looks the same and a bit chavvy....not sure about east ham either....i would look at a purpose built flat in walthamstow or leyton or leytonstone with your budget....LLoyds park estate or the Abrahams flats in leyton etc...i own property around those areas and lots going on and no major crime issues etc.

cheesesalad Tue 09-Feb-21 19:17:28

Thank you both for the feedback!

We actually visited all places & in the end went for East Ham! Plaistow South came a close second, but there was just no beating the East Ham Central Park area for us-and we’ve lived all over London. We’ve only been here a couple of months but so far, very impressed.

nostaples Tue 09-Feb-21 19:27:51

Used to live in Barking. It really was awful.

OneforMahler Wed 10-Feb-21 11:18:29

So glad you're also enjoying East Ham cheesesalad! I personally think it's a great area for families - affordable (for London) period houses with gardens, and not only great primaries but so many secondary schools and sixth form colleges are good or outstanding, especially Brampton Manor. And Central Park (and its cafe!) is wonderful. Welcome to the neighbourhood!

Onmyleft Wed 10-Feb-21 11:42:18

East Ham wouldn’t come top of my list - no where near top of my list if looking East London.

Wanstead, Chingford, Leyton, Leytonstone. Not the n any particular order in terms of a list of preference. These 4 are good. I’d also considerStratford, Ilford, etc

Advertisement

Yazoop Wed 10-Feb-21 11:53:57

Unfortunately onmyleft, those areas are much more of a stretch for that money (although definitely not impossible, with the probable exception of Wanstead which is £££).

East Ham will likely benefit from the general proximity to Wanstead / flats, good transport links, and overspill from the gentrifying Forest Gate which is already benefitting from crossrail (whenever it will finally open!). So could be a good investment in the long run.

cheesesalad Wed 10-Feb-21 12:53:04

We found quite a lot of negative comments online & were really quite nervous. However we knew only visiting each place would give us a sense of ‘what was right’. What we found was:

- Watford/Bushey: really lovely dependant on the street, but the ring road traffic & parking generally was unbelievable & it’s so densely populated we felt a little bit ‘suffocated’. Also expensive travel into London for work.

- Wanstead, Walthamstow, Chingford, Leyton, Leytonstone: lovely but simply unaffordable for the house we wanted at the budget we wanted.

- Barking: for some reason it felt really depressing- the town centre period homes were in a really poor state & lacked any greenery. It was actually the 30’s houses in Upney nearby that were the nicest areas, but again too expensive!

- Manor Park & Ilford: Beautiful period houses, but again something felt a little depressing about it...couldn’t quite put our fingers on it.

- Plashet, E6/E7: A perfect little oasis of affordable period homes. Would have no issues buying here, particularly with forest gate gentrification tricking down.

- Plaistow South: Lovely, same comments as Plashet- homes & gardens a little on the smaller side though.

- East Ham high street: something about it made us feel a bit on edge so wasn’t for us.

- East Ham Central Park: it’s so GREEN!! I kid you not I drove down the roads in summer and had to call the OH in shock- I will try to add photos. Also has a lovely community feel, beautiful period homes, well located for essentially anything & in the catchment for outstanding schools. Families everywhere...we genuinely fell in love. It’s not disappointed to this day.

From what I gather from our neighbours, the East Ham of even 5 years ago is not the East Ham of today. It’s also getting even better, with lots of new developments planned. Young couples & families move in every week & tbh we’re astounded we found a London zone 3, period home in such a lovely area for sub £375k. Couple of photos attached smile

Onmyleft Wed 10-Feb-21 20:28:27

You seem sold in East Ham so go for it. I don’t think the Cross Rail will necessarily lead to prices shooting up. After the 2012 Olympics some areas were regenerated but most remain rundown.

Like all areas in the UK, you can have nice streets right next to highly deprived streets. For me it’s about the general area.

If East Ham meets your needs then go for it. Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in