Talk

Advanced search

Redrow Homes

(13 Posts)
EnglishBreakfastTea Thu 27-Apr-17 09:35:58

Hi Everyone, I'm a first time buyer and seriously considering buying a redrow 5 bed home off plan - main reasons for new build is I have two under 2 so can't do much in terms of renovation and every other house I've looked at in my price range, the new builds are bigger. However, the more research I do about new builds and Redrow in particular the more nervous I'm getting!! All the reviews I can find about buying a new build seem to be absolutely awful, and there doesn't seem to be ANY positive reviews about Redrow homes at all so I'm just wondering, is there anyone out there that has had a good experience with buying a new build? And have you had any dealings with Redrow homes good or bad? Thank you all in advance smile

Harumff Thu 27-Apr-17 10:54:18

Can't comment on Redrow specifically but we've just moved into our second new buil 3 weeks ago. Had no problems at all with the first and loved it. This one our shower leaked when we first used it but they came and fixed it next working day and are coming back to sort out damaged paintwork at a time convenient to us. It's early days for this house but so far so good. I think new builds get an awful lot of bad press but many people live in them with no real issues and they have lots of benefits too - e.g. ours is boiling 5 mins after you turn the heating on!

EnglishBreakfastTea Thu 27-Apr-17 12:56:39

Thanks!! I was kind of hoping that all the reviews I've found are because people tend to complain when they're unhappy and hardly ever leave positive reviews, it's good to hear that you've been in 2 new builds and have had good experiences! I hope you continue to be happy in your new home smile

DartmoorDoughnut Thu 27-Apr-17 12:57:51

I bought a newbuild Redrow home off

DartmoorDoughnut Thu 27-Apr-17 12:59:54

Sorry that was the toddler!

In any case it was fine, I rented it out (thanks to a inconvenient army posting!) but never had any issues in the 3yrs I owned it and it kept its value although didn't increase.

sunshinesupermum Thu 27-Apr-17 13:02:47

My DD and SiL bought a newbuild and had horrendous problems resulting in it having to be rebuilt! They were moved into another house on the estate while the work was being done and couldn't go back to their home for 11 months. They weren't alone in this happening either, but the worst house affected. And the developer queried absolutely everything that was wrong - DD and SiL had to get a surveyor of their own to supervise that the rebuild was up to standard.

The 10 year guarantee isn't worth the paper it is written on, please be warned if there are teething probs you will be on your own to sort them out. Not a good place to be. Sorry OP wouldn't touch a new build with a barge pole. There are plenty of houses that don't need a lot of work doing to them.

Harumff Thu 27-Apr-17 17:03:07

You're not always on your own to sort out teething problems.... I think it very much depends on the builder and I hate that new builds generally are all tarred with the same brush.

Thereturningwonderer Thu 27-Apr-17 22:44:04

Totally agree with sunshine to the point that the media got involved. This was 15years ago before social media was big.

Been there, done that. Never again.

theconstantinoplegardener Thu 27-Apr-17 23:04:53

We moved into our new-build (Linden Homes rather than Redrow) four years ago and have been very happy with our house. The only real problem we had was a toilet blockage that took a few weeks to sort out. Linden did always send somebody out promptly but it just took a few different things before they got to the root of the problem.

We were given the contact details of a specific person to call if ever there was a problem and the system worked very well. Apart from the toilet issue, there were just a few minor niggles - a door that wouldn't close properly, that sort of thing - and they were all dealt with promptly. Based on our experience, we'd happily buy another new-build.

Somebody once told me that if you buy a new build, try to buy a house that you can move into while they are still building other houses on the estate because that way they have builders, plumbers etc on site and so can send somebody round easily if there's a problem.

EnglishBreakfastTea Fri 28-Apr-17 12:18:57

Thanks so much everyone for your advice! Lots to think about - our house would be completed while the builders are still on site so hopefully any issues could be dealt with quickly. I'll let you know whether I go ahead or not!

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Fri 28-Apr-17 12:25:58

I live in a town that has huge development on-going right now and the one builders that I haven't heard anything bad about are RedRow.

In fact a few friends saying that they wish that they had brought the RedRow home and not the ones that they did buy. The ones with huge issues here are Taylor Wimpey. Gorgeous houses but not very well built and drainage not very well considered, especially as built on a flood plain that floods every year several times without fail.

sunshinesupermum Fri 28-Apr-17 12:30:28

theconstantineoplegardener DDs house was Lindens. Bought three years ago. Terrible communications and they denied problems existed constantly. I guess it all depends which development you buy on.

Spam88 Fri 28-Apr-17 13:05:38

We've been in our Barratts new build for coming up to a year. All problems (nothing major at all) have been resolved very quickly, often the same day as we reported them. Definitely think it's helpful when they're still on site as they just send the relevant workman round without any delays. Really happy with the house as well smile plenty of ventilation (so hopefully no mould!), heats up really quickly, bills are pretty low.

We looked at a Redrow house. Didn't buy it because it was the last one on the development and had a really rubbish garden, and there was also a maintenance fee to maintain the flood defences which made us somewhat nervous... Very nice looking houses though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now