Talk

Advanced search

What is the best website to find a tradesman

(19 Posts)
FrangiePangie Tue 18-Apr-17 09:20:53

I never know which website is best out of Trustatrader, Checkatrade and Ratedpeople.

Which one would you recommend?

ScarletBegonia1234 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:23:05

We've found some great tradesmen on mybuilder.Com

millsbynight Tue 18-Apr-17 09:23:38

I use ratedpeople

FrangiePangie Tue 18-Apr-17 09:27:52

Do all these websites charge the traders to be on them? I know that on ratedpeople the people who respond to your posting have to pay to view it and so you are less likely to get cowboys.

How do the other websites filter out the less scrupulous traders?

wowfudge Tue 18-Apr-17 09:29:59

Rated People only has reviews from people the tradesperson has done work for. I have seen bad and good reviews on there.

kingjoffreyworksintescos Tue 18-Apr-17 09:48:18

There is a new website called 'next door ' , I have joined and it's all local stuff , lots of locals ask recommendations for tradespeople etc . I haven't used it yet but think I might in the near future .
I think word of mouth from happy customers seems the way forwards

Vagndidit Tue 18-Apr-17 09:49:57

Check and see if your local council has a Trusted Trader registry scheme. We've found a number of good tradespeople locally using this method.

Boooooom Tue 18-Apr-17 09:54:06

Checkatrade charge for 'membership' and you have to get x amount of customers to review you annually to keep it up to date. Reviews are checked.
Membership is expensive

wowfudge Tue 18-Apr-17 10:25:29

I contacted a tradesperson via the Council's Trusted Trader scheme, but after an initial acknowledgement they didn't arrange to come and look at the work we needed doing!

NikaKaKa Tue 18-Apr-17 11:18:49

The tradesmen on Rated People pay a subscription to be on the site and are only approved after a few background checks to avoid rogue traders. Homeowners who have used a trades person through Rated People can leave reviews on their handiwork for other homeowners to see.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 18-Apr-17 11:28:19

I have no faith in check a trader...My ex is on there as a qualified car mechanic, own pick up truck, big signwrited job. . .
He is a joiner. confused

steppingout Tue 18-Apr-17 11:28:33

If you've got any local forums/Facebook groups it can be worth looking for recommendations there. We've found some great tradesmen that way, and can cross check on the other sites.

AndNowItIsSeven Tue 18-Apr-17 11:31:18

My hammer.

NotOneThingButAnother Tue 18-Apr-17 11:31:55

Checkatrade do not allow bad reviews, so basically its a fan-site!! The trader pays to be be on there, and customers submit reviews - only the good ones go on the website. We had a problem with a trader and Checkatrade told us that unless we had a court ruling in our favour, no adverse comments were allowed.

ShortLass Tue 18-Apr-17 13:52:14

Second Facebook group for your town/area. It's my go-to place now.

Shortdarkandfeisty Tue 18-Apr-17 14:32:42

I've used Mybuilder.com and found it good.

ScarletBegonia1234 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:47:03

Mybuilder charges the tradesman a finders fee I think

Whatdoiknow31 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:28:44

Which? Trusted Trader - I know from experience traders have to jump through hoops to become one and not every trader makes the grade or so I'm told. Checkatrade you don't have to jump through so many hoops and acceptance is pretty immediate.

Wiifitmama Tue 18-Apr-17 20:37:06

We have used mybuilder for both large and small jobs. Currently we are undergoing a £100,000 extension and rennovation project and the building company came from that site. We are very happy with them. My husband always posts a job on there and then reads through all of the replies, checking their reviews carefully as well as googling them. He short lists a few to meet and then we choose. From a small job of unblocking our drains, to a medium job of redoing our ensuite, to the big job we are doing now, we have always found good builders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now