Talk

Advanced search

vinyl wrapped kitchen doors?

(8 Posts)
SpanishFly Wed 12-Apr-17 13:52:42

Have any of you had this done/quoted?

If so, what is a sort of ballpark figure to doing this compared with, say, having the doors replaced? eg a white gloss standard size kitchen door is around £20-30. I'm not anywhere near the stage of wanting someone round to quote us, but wondering if this is something we can do in the next year or two as a stop-gap before having kichen fully replaced down the line.

Anyone got any info they can share?

PigletJohn Wed 12-Apr-17 15:27:55

vinyl wrap is not much good.

In a kitchen, it peels off where it is either hot or damp, such as over the dishwasher, near the hob, oven and microwave, kettle and toaster.

I have even seen it peeling in a warehouse display.

SpanishFly Wed 12-Apr-17 16:40:07

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Although my current faux wood doors are starting to warp/peel at a couple of corners and next to the sink anyway.
How long would wraps last?

PigletJohn Wed 12-Apr-17 16:45:31

several weeks, at least.

You can get hard laminated doors (the same material as worktops) which is very durable. Egger is a popular make and you can get sample pieces for IIRC £1 each, and various companies cut and edge doors to your requirement. If offered, pay extra for the thicker edging. You can also get matching shelves and décor panels.

examples
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271892937025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PigletJohn Wed 12-Apr-17 16:48:16

and here are some doors from the same place.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=doors&_ssn=tradekitchenseu&item=271892937025&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdoors+kitchen.TRS0&_nkw=doors+kitchen&_sacat=0

I used them for shelves and was very pleased.

there are several similar suppliers.

Theweasleytwins Wed 12-Apr-17 16:52:17

'Diy top tips on a budget' on Facebook, lots of people put fablon on their cupboard doors

scaryteacher Thu 13-Apr-17 07:43:55

Vinyl wrap is used with cars and trailers, so gets wet and hot. Dh got his glider trailer done and it is still looking good 3 years on.

SpanishFly Thu 13-Apr-17 08:02:39

Thanks for the info everyone. There seems to be negative reviews of having it done from a few years ago but the issues have been rectified so it looks as if it's now a much better end result than previously.

And as you say, they're used on cars etc in the UK. So they'll get very wet at times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now