Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Econoloft - really slow?

(18 Posts)
HiDBandSIL Fri 31-Mar-17 09:38:47

We're using Econoloft for a loft conversion. We signed the contract with them at the end of December and were told that they'd start work in 3 months.

It's been 3 months now and they haven't even finished the drawings! They've said we won't get a date for the work to start until we've got the party wall stuff sorted (we can't start that until they've finished the drawings) and then it will be 6-8 weeks before they've got a team free to start work.

So that will be at least 7 months rather than 3. They won't even have started by the date they said they'd have finished! hmm

Is that typical or have we just been unlucky? If you've had a loft done by them, how long was it from start to finish?

HiDBandSIL Fri 21-Jul-17 14:33:47

I thought I should come and update this because it has now been nearly 7 months since we signed our contract and Econoloft still haven't started work. When we signed they said it would be 3 months.

They were supposed to have started work yesterday, then they postponed it to next Friday and now they've said that the team they were going to use have declined the job and we don't have a start date at all anymore.

I'm speechless about it at the moment so I'll just leave that information here for anyone thinking about using them...

HiDBandSIL Fri 21-Jul-17 14:45:16

As this is turning into quite the saga I think I'll start keeping a little diary here of what happens next.

Here's the tea: brewbrewbrewbrew and cake: cakecakecakecake

Feel free to join in with your tales of building work woe (doesn't have to be Econoloft). smile

HipsterHunter Fri 21-Jul-17 15:36:25

Oh what a nightmare!

You will need much tea and cake and wine!

HiDBandSIL Fri 21-Jul-17 16:07:20

Thanks hipster grin. Have some cake.

I'm sat here wondering whether it would be slower to wait for Econoloft or find another builder to do it. It's not looking great either way.

Just to make things worse I'm 4 months pregnant and the work is scheduled to take 3 months. We're waiting for this loft conversion to be done so we can extend.

Spickle Fri 21-Jul-17 16:12:05

I know it is a long time ago, but perhaps have a read of this old thread wine:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1103545-Anyone-used-Econoloft

Sarahsea1 Sat 22-Jul-17 08:55:47

Out of interest, what's the benefit of using Econoloft over other loft/building companies?

SarahBeeney Sat 22-Jul-17 08:58:43

Hi,we are nearing the end of our conversion with Econoloft and they've been good. We had to wait a while for the building team but that's because I requested a specific team so they could have started earlier.
Where are you based?I'm SE London.

Thecatsmother17 Sat 22-Jul-17 11:40:36

Where are you? We had our loft converted and they started two weeks after we signed the paperwork.

HiDBandSIL Mon 24-Jul-17 20:47:51

spickle - oh good god. I wish I hadn't read that. I was just thinking things couldn't get any worse!!!

sarahsea - for us it was the thought that they'd be quick and good at doing loft conversions because they do loads and nothing else. They're usually more expensive than regular builders. We've already been proved wrong on the "quick" bit. Now that I've read spickle's thread I'm worried about then "good" bit too!!

beeney - I think this is part of the problem. We're not in London and as I understand it, although they're quick to say they cover all over the place, their home turf is around Bromley. The builder we've just waited six weeks for said at the last minute he didn't want to travel out of London...

cats - TWO WEEKS???? I literally don't know what to say to that. It took them 5 weeks to send us the first set of drawings and at 7 months they've still not started work.

Blankscreen Mon 24-Jul-17 23:05:58

My friend has used them.amd had similar Stories re the teams.falling through at the last minute.

Theirs.has been nothing but trouble. Building work.started before christmas its still not finished.
Personally i would go elsewhere

SarahBeeney Mon 24-Jul-17 23:59:30

All the tradesmen have been from the Isle of Sheppey,so not too far from SE London.I have no idea what other areas they cover though!
I didn't find one company with a 100% good review record. It seems it's down to luck.
I have to say the head office have been very effective with keeping in contact/answering questions. Sorry you've had such a bad experience sad

HiDBandSIL Wed 26-Jul-17 12:45:03

Oh blank that sounds awful sad and I totally agree with you beeney all of these companies seem to have a good number of bad reviews.

Some good news today. They've found us a new team and we've got materials and scaffolding coming on Monday and Tuesday. Fingers massively crossed that it goes ahead now! smile

HipsterHunter Wed 26-Jul-17 13:50:17

Yay fingers crossed!

SarahBeeney Wed 26-Jul-17 22:04:10

At last!If the materials are arriving it should be starting soon!I hope you have a good team. Our guys were very considerate and funny as well. I think they appreciated the endless cups of tea.

SeetheseeyessogreenIcanstarefo Wed 26-Jul-17 22:59:00

What a thread linked too there what a roller coaster.

Chalky14 Mon 04-Sep-17 17:23:23

Appreciate it has been a few weeks but I'm glad I found this thread as I thought it was just me who was having crap service from Econoloft. Their survey guy came out at the end of June 17 to do the initial free survey. We were told to expect the estimate in 2-3 weeks. To date we've not received anything despite 3 chasers. Will be using a local Cheshire firm instead.

NixV Sun 22-Oct-17 23:20:02

Sarahbeeney
If I may ask which area are you in and which team did your conversion?
We looking to use them early next year but I have read so many mixed reviews and what I've noticed is that it's all down to team you have that do the conversion. Seems team you had, knew what they were doing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now