Talk

Advanced search

Painting over filler - what is "spot priming"?

(9 Posts)
2sleepingdogs Fri 17-Feb-17 11:19:58

DS has filled two holes in the kitchen wall using Wickes Fine Surface filler. The holes were large and are in a prominent place. The tube says "no need to spot prime". We now want to paint over the filler, but are unclear as to how to prepare the surface for painting. Should we prime and, if so, with what?

Thank you we are both DIY novices.

Seeline Fri 17-Feb-17 11:26:58

No expert, but I would assume that means that you can just paint it without having to use a primer first.
I would sand the surface of the filled areas with a fine sand paper, and brush with a soft brush to get rid of the dust. I would then paint over with emulsion - I assume you are doing a complete wall? You may need two coats.

wowfudge Fri 17-Feb-17 11:28:58

Sand it smooth - the holes should filled with the filler slightly proud so you can sand it down level with the wall without being able to see the edges of the holes - and paint.

It says no need to prime so no undercoat, etc is required.

2sleepingdogs Fri 17-Feb-17 11:31:45

Thanks for replying.

I was hoping to avoid doing the whole wall as it is large and I only have a small amount of paint left over from when it was originally decorated. Would this be a mistake?

PigletJohn Fri 17-Feb-17 13:04:43

perhaps the filler you used is intended to be not very absorbent.

for filler and plaster in a wall, you just prime with emulsion paint, diluting the first coat so it soaks in better. Doing the spots regularises their absorbency, otherwise the texture will look different to the rest of the wall. You can dab in thinly with a paintbrush, but the final coat(s) should be done with a roller or small sponge to match the paint texture to the rest of the wall.

You can smooth off fresh filler quicker and cleaner using a metal scraper. Preferably do it while it is still cheesy.

Touching up spots on a wall will show.

2sleepingdogs Fri 17-Feb-17 13:25:43

Thank you for replying.

DS has now finished the filling - he 's done a really good job and the wall is now flat. I just don't want to bodge up the painting. If I go and buy another tin of paint (Dulux Apple White) will it match the adjacent wall or will it be a slightly different colour?

RedBugMug Fri 17-Feb-17 14:01:56

if it's a high pigment paint it should be fine.

PigletJohn Fri 17-Feb-17 15:34:21

If the patches do show (I think they will) then a single rolled coat over the whole wall will probably hide them for colour. Paint texture is more difficult to hide, so do several sponged or rolled coats over the patches, allowing them all to dry, to help get the texture right.

2sleepingdogs Sat 18-Feb-17 12:04:47

Thanks for everyone's replies. The wall now looks 100% better and hopefully the dog will not decide the chew any more holes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now