Talk

Advanced search

How to paint MDF

(14 Posts)
Rupster Wed 08-Feb-17 15:06:53

Can I paint MDF by sanding it and then applying Dulux wood primer and undercoat before applying a top coat?

Thanks.

Ilovecaindingle Wed 08-Feb-17 15:10:08

I have seen proper primer for painting mdf. . Wilko sells it!

Rupster Thu 09-Feb-17 09:31:59

I already have some Dulux wood primer and undercoat left over from another job, so I'd like to use that if it works rather than buy more paint if I don't need it.

Do I need to seal the MDF first or will that Dulux paint seal it?

Thanks.

wheresthewine36 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:35:32

I've always used emulsion as an undercoat on MDF and have only ever sanded cut edges, no need to sand all over. Don't think you'd need to use the primer, just go for undercoat and top coat.

ThereIsNoSuchThingAsRoadTax Thu 09-Feb-17 10:32:19

You need to prime the MDF - it is so absorbent that if you paint with emulsion straight onto it all of the moisture will be sucked out of the paint and you will be left with a film of dry emulsion that will not stick to the MDF properly. Eventually you might find that the paint blisters and flakes off.
Wood primer will work fine, but I like to give at least a couple of coats and sometimes water the primer down a little to get a more even coverage with the first coat.

EineKleine Thu 09-Feb-17 10:50:09

yes I'd do as you are proposing, sanding down a bit between coats if the grain has lifted and gone rougher.

i am no expert but mdf seems pretty "woodish" to me, compare with other stuff you'd prime (metal, melamine) so wood primer sounds good to me.

Bluebellevergreen Thu 09-Feb-17 10:53:52

Carpenter told us to buy an MDF primer. Then use wood paint on top
We did and looks great

Believeitornot Thu 09-Feb-17 11:49:52

I got primer for mdf because it isn't like normal wood. It really sucks up the paint! Also the edges got furry.

wheresthewine36 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:32:33

Thereisnosuchthing I've painted a number of mdf items with emulsion and never had any problems. First piece I ever painted is a bookcase I made from MDF. Painted 10 years ago, still looks good now and has never flaked or blistered, promise :-)

engineersthumb Thu 09-Feb-17 21:50:34

I always use acrylic primer. Water down on the first coat. Cut edges will pick up butility a light rub and it comes up rather nicely. I always lightly sand the surfaces to ensure that all fingerprints and minor scratches are dealt with.

Rupster Thu 09-Feb-17 22:08:27

Thanks, everyone.

I've bought a 1L tin of Flag MDF primer paint from Toolstation this evening. I'm expecting I'll need to do a couple of coats and sand in between.

NotJanine Fri 10-Feb-17 12:43:53

This is useful. I have some mdf to paint. Shelves I am going to use satincoat on, so I'll get some primer to apply first.

I also have some to paint which is on the walls (boxing in vertical pipework). Would I be ok using the primer and then the normal wall emulsion?

Rupster Fri 10-Feb-17 13:26:21

Yes I think that should work. That's what I'll be doing.

Rupster Mon 27-Feb-17 15:37:45

You can see how I got on in this thread ...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2793193-Can-anyone-recommend-a-stair-guard-to-stop-a-crawling-baby-falling-between-balusters?msgid=67262567

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now