Talk

Advanced search

Wood floors vs wood effect tiles

(17 Posts)
sarahnova69 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:14:37

Any opinions/experiences? Wood effect seems to be getting very close to wood in appearance/texture without the drawbacks, but I want to understand before I commit.

Borisrules Sun 05-Feb-17 16:25:58

Shamelessly place marking. We want to do the same. We stayed in a rental holiday cottage with "wood plank" tiles and they looked really good. It's def possible to get good ones. Trouble is I have no idea which are the good ones!
Any recommendations for places to send off for samples would be great!

namechangedtoday15 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:34:41

Which room is it for?

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Feb-17 22:11:10

I'd say it depends on the room. Real wood floor moves a lot and will expand and contact based on moisture in the air - even drying washing in the room could lift the floor.

RedBugMug Sun 05-Feb-17 22:13:19

we have italian wood effect tiles in the bathroom.
it's so good it fools people.
it's suitable for underfloor heating and bathroom related moisture.
I love it.

sarahnova69 Mon 06-Feb-17 13:25:24

We're looking at it for both kitchen/open plan living space, and bathroom floors.

Porcelanosa was recommended to us but I think it's def on the pricy side. I could barely tell the real wood floor samples from the tiles.

dotty2 Mon 06-Feb-17 13:46:10

I think tiles can look good - a friend has them and I didn't notice they weren't real wood the first time I went round. There's also the peace of mind issue. We nearly had a wooden floor in our kitchen/diner, and I researched it a lot with endless quotes and samples. We went for something completely different in the end ('blue' quarry tiles), and I'm so pleased now I didn't get the wood. Do you want to be panicking every time someone spills wine/glue/paint/mud/tinned tomatoes? Or maybe I just have a v messy family.

kitchenlights Mon 06-Feb-17 14:23:23

We have the tiles and they're amazing. The baby can do water play on the kitchen floor. They look just like wood.

shovetheholly Mon 06-Feb-17 14:34:03

There are 2 kinds of tiles: vinyl tiles (Amtico/Karndean and others) and porcelain/ceramic tiles. Both now come in convincing wood effects.

I find it really hard to tell the difference between the vinyl and the real thing, but I can't get past the weirdness of feeling ceramic under my feet and yet it looking like wood!

smilingsarahb Mon 06-Feb-17 14:36:26

Depends where for. Kitchen or bathroom definately tiles, anywhere else only use tiles if you can have underfloor heating. They feel so cold.

sarahnova69 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:04:06

There'll be underfloor heating in the open plan space, and rugs elsewhere.

rallytog1 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:18:35

We've just had wood effect vinyl tiles laid and they're brilliant. It looks and feels like a wooden floor, but seems warmer and softer somehow. Everyone who's seen it is really surprised when we tell them it's vinyl.

Borisrules Mon 06-Feb-17 17:58:44

Kitchenlights
Where did you get your tiles? And can you remember the kind of ball park you paid?

Manijo Mon 06-Feb-17 18:46:34

I would only do tiles with UFH

kitchenlights Mon 06-Feb-17 20:47:40

I got them from walls and floors.co uk. They will send you loads of samples if you ring and tell them what you're looking for.

There is often 20% discount so wait for that (or ask for it?) I paid for £30/sqm ones but should have gone for the £20/sqm which worked out at £16/sqm, they were just as nice. There is loads of choice at those prices (and higher..)

maddy68 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:52:01

I've just had laminate look porcelain tiles. Looks amazing and with the durability of floor tiles. So happy

Tubbyinthehottub Mon 06-Feb-17 20:58:46

I have wood effect tiles in kitchen/diner/family, hallway and wc. I was dubious as I wanted proper wood or engineered wood but couldn't because with UFH in the kitchen, the floor levels would've been different into the hall. I'm glad I have them now, much better in a kitchen than wood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now