Talk

Advanced search

Folding room doors

(8 Posts)
Thegirlisnotright Tue 10-Jan-17 20:31:55

Has anyone got these in their house? Google searches bring back lots of stock photos but I want to to see what they look like in real homes. Looking for space saving doors for normal width doorways. Thanks smile

peasandquiet Tue 10-Jan-17 20:43:25

There was one in our house on the box room that the previous owner put it and was a homemade job, it was hideous and we took it off within weeks of moving in. Just looked flimsy, unmatching and a bit silly. Still waiting for my husband to re attach the normal door we found in the garage!

Thegirlisnotright Wed 11-Jan-17 13:09:14

Yes that's what I'm afraid of. Will be replacing all doors together though. One doorway though the door can only open back into hall, and a regular door will be in the way of other things. No room for pocket door or I'd do that I think. Hmm.

Burntbum Wed 11-Jan-17 14:14:03

We put one in our old house and it was a proper study half glazed oak door. We had to get it made to measure as it was not a standard size. I can't remember where we got it from but have just googled and found this company that does similar solid looking doors.

https://www.savoytimber.com/doors/bifold-doors/made-to-measure/made-to-measure-oak-glazed-victorian-4-panel-bifold-door-complete-with-quality-track.html

Burntbum Wed 11-Jan-17 14:20:23

Sturdy not study.

moonbells Wed 11-Jan-17 14:37:12

We just last month put one of these in our utility room to free up space for storage. I'd say that it looks fine, but beware if you have a wonky door frame!

We have a bit of a gap at the top on one side as a result. Wasn't the new door - the old one was cut to fit the gap!

You also need to remove the door jamb so it fits. I would also recommend looking at the B&Q YouTube video on fitting bi-fold doors and if you go to Wickes, their instructions are AWFUL. We ended up taking off the jamb, wood-filling, priming and re-painting the whole frame. More work than initially expected.

Despite this, we are so pleased with it that we're finally putting a door on the kitchen; it's only been 18 years... previous owners had a concertina door (yuk) and there's no room for a standard one to open.

Piccy before it was painted and before I put a decent doorknob on it. Second piccy from the other side, closed. Room not decorated yet so looks scruffy! blush

EineKleine Wed 11-Jan-17 15:23:44

We loved ours but as moonbells says, the beauty was that it allowed us to have one where otherwise we couldn't have, between kitchen and dining area. It was gappier than a normal door, functioned fine but I wouldn't usw it on a bedroom (there was a recent thread asking about bifolds on bedroom doors, may be worth a read.)

Ours was just a basic wickes job, bought ready primed, painted by me. It just looked like a cheap door. We put a knob in the centre of the outer panel to operate it. We thought that looked nicer than a cupboard handle kind of thing. Sorry not much help.

Thegirlisnotright Thu 12-Jan-17 17:55:51

Thank you all. That other thread is useful too. I don't like the gappy idea much. I think I might look at the layout of the room again and see if we can fit a standard door if we possibly can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now