Talk

Advanced search

Moving Radiators

(11 Posts)
coolpatterngirl Tue 10-Jan-17 16:21:27

Hi,

Is moving and uninstalling radiators a plumbers only job or could a decorator do this? Our decorator has offered to do this but I'm a little hesitant at the moment and can't get a single plumber to come out (have tried 3 so far and they were the only ones who rang me back).

Testificateman Tue 10-Jan-17 17:53:01

If you are just taking it off, and putting it back on, it is a very simple job.
Are your valves and pipes in good condition? If so, you just switch off the valves, put a small container under one side, undo the radiator tail nut and drain the radiator.
You will need a bucket to empty the small container into when full and don't totally undo the nut untill the radiator is nearly empty.
You will also need a bleed key to release the pressure in the radiator as you are emptying it.
Hope this helps.

coolpatterngirl Tue 10-Jan-17 20:00:25

Thank you, the actual radiator needs to be moved along the wall by about a metre, I doubt there's piping down there. A second radiator needs to be removed and capped off entirely.

Testificateman Tue 10-Jan-17 20:42:57

If you are moving the pipework, you might be better off getting a plumber in for that. At this time of year, they will be quite busy for a small job. A good handyman might be better for the job than a decorator, does your decorator have a lot of experience with moving pipework?

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 10-Jan-17 20:45:44

I'd definitely get a heating engineer to do that job.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 10-Jan-17 20:46:14

I had a radiator moved from one wall to another a few years ago and it cost £80.

coolpatterngirl Tue 10-Jan-17 20:48:23

He says it's a piece of cake but I'm worried about leaks etc.

coolpatterngirl Tue 10-Jan-17 20:48:55

Thanks mumoftwo, wish I could find one that's available/interested!

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Wed 11-Jan-17 01:03:23

Well that is another issue. Luckily I have a lot of tradespeople I know/know of. But could I get someone to fix my fences last year?! Nope!!!!

Wingedharpy Wed 11-Jan-17 11:49:31

My thoughts are, that it depends on the skills of the individual workman.
We've just completed a wetroom and my plumber showed skills and did jobs that in no way would be considered "plumbing" and he did them extremely well.
Your decorator may be similar to my plumber.........Or he may not be!
Do you know the decorator?
Has he done work for you before? (I'm making assumptions it's a he here).
Is he a person of mature years? - IME "older" workmen acquire other skills as their careers progress.
Do you feel comfortable taking the risk?
Good luck!

coolpatterngirl Thu 12-Jan-17 07:05:21

Thanks, he's mature but I think he talks a good game, I don't know him and he appears to have subcontracted the job to someone else....he hasn't been back so I guess I'll carry on looking for a plumber.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now