Talk

Advanced search

Being kicked out after 6 months due to landlord selling

(7 Posts)
mischadee Wed 04-Jan-17 18:16:23

I'm stuck and don't know what to do we used most of our savings moving into this property and was told that the landlord wouldn't be looking to sell.
4 months later (today) we've been told they're selling we have 2 months notice, we have an appointment with a mortgage advisor on Friday but trying to find funds fast for a deposit.
I feel stuck

specialsubject Wed 04-Jan-17 18:26:55

so sorry - as a landlord I can only hope that yours has hit a change of circumstances forcing the sale, rather than simply messing you about.

if no damage your deposit will come back in full, but of course that doesn't happen until after you leave and you need a deposit for the new place.

make sure the section 21 is valid (read your how to rent guide) but while you don't have to leave at the end of it, if your landlord has to go through the eviction process the costs will come down to you.

what you don't have to do is allow viewings.

wowfudge Wed 04-Jan-17 18:27:36

You are actually in a stronger position than you might think. Unless the LL is selling to another investor, he needs vacant possession in order to complete his sale. That means he's banking on you moving out. In your position I would be asking 1) for the early return of your deposit to assist you in having to unexpectedly secure a new place and 2) a decent reference upfront.

When you are served notice, it is notice that the LL intends to start possession proceedings in two months. It doesn't actually mean you have to be out at the expiry of the two month term.

You could also try to negotiate a rent reduction or rebate to help you get a new place. For the LL, securing a trouble free sale is the big thing and when you consider the purchase price against your monthly rent, it's more about cash flow for him.

scurryfunge Wed 04-Jan-17 18:28:51

Are you looking to buy the property you are currently renting? Can you renegotiate with land lord and say you are open to viewings with an extension for your contract. Realistically it could take two to three months for any sale which may give you some breathing space.

MoreProseccoNow Wed 04-Jan-17 20:05:42

I'd consider asking for a contribution towards your removal costs, if you incur any as a result. And I agree that a rent reduction in return for co-operation is worth asking for.

mischadee Wed 04-Jan-17 20:30:09

It is apparently due to a change In their circumstances .. we've asked if they can give us a couple months more to raise some extra funds to attempt to buy the house... my partner has just taken on an extra 24 hours a week work etc
Hopefully i can sort it thank you

Testificateman Wed 04-Jan-17 20:34:59

If you have a contract, wowfudge is correct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now