Talk

Advanced search

Blocked toilet...baby wipes...cr*p! (No pun intended)

(10 Posts)
clashofclanswidow Wed 20-Jul-16 14:52:27

HELP!

I've been an idiot...I KNOW you're not supposed to flush baby wipes...stupid, stupid, stupid me but I've been potty training DD and sometimes her poos are so awful that toilet paper doesn't cut it...

I've been my own worse enemy as I think the few times I've gotten away with it, I've kept flushing them and now my toilet is blocked! =(

I could kick myself as I've recently had to pay out for a washer repair as well and I'm so skint =(

I've tried allsorts...plunging, hot water, soap, shampoo, more hot water, bleach, drain unblocker and just nothing...

I know it must be wipes as when plunging, I have fished some back out (sorry for the TMI)

I rent and daren't tell me Landlord yet!

About to try a coat hanger later but does anyone...
A) have any more tips?
B) know how much a repair is likely to cost me?

dowhatnow Wed 20-Jul-16 14:56:04

It could be a blockage a long way into the system and been backing up for a while.
Rather you than me but good luck with the coat hangers. I don't know whether Home Bargains still do them but I know a few years ago you could buy a complete rod set for drains for only £10. About 20m in length. It might be worth trying to get hold of something like that.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Jul-16 15:46:41

Go outside and open the closest inspection pit to the house is it full? If so the drains need rodding. This is not difficult and a set of drain rods cost £20 from a builders merchant if you don't want to involve the landlord. If the inspection pit is not full it is the toilet and you are back to rubber gloves and the coat hanger.

Rupster Thu 21-Jul-16 11:36:34

You could try One Shot instant drain cleaner, available at Homebase. It contains sulphuric acid and should basically dissolve the wet wipes. I believe this was the thing I used a few years ago when I had a similar problem.

Sooverthis Thu 21-Jul-16 11:46:53

You may also need a drain inspection as you could have blocked the main drains as well let's hope you don't share a drain with your neighbours. Drain rods are quick easy to use but be prepared for it to be smelly and dirty we had an upstairs flat that blocked our drains repeatedly like this, according to her upstairs the wipes were flushable, we had to have the drains cleared by dynorod type company it cost quite a lot hmm

Claraoswald36 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:50:30

It doesn't take many. I rang my landlord and he tried the rods - failed and rang for a jet and a bowser. They couldn't shift it and referred it to the water company who told me off about the wet wipes but didn't charge me.
I would ring your ll as they may have their own rods.

Claraoswald36 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:51:58

Also the blockage becomes the water company issue of its beyond your boundary in the pipe

Callmecordelia Thu 21-Jul-16 12:36:22

I had our drains done last month. It was a man with a water jet thing - it took about ten minutes, cost £45.

In our case it was posh quilted loo paper. DH is banned from buying it now, and wants to move. grin

JellyBelly89 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:09:44

Check outside inspection pit. The odds are the wipes have blocked more than just your pipes and the issue might be bigger, hence the chances of sorting it from your toilet might not be very high.

We have about five manholes in our garden. Neighbour's flush wipes and block them all the time. They try claiming it's not them but the water company keep sending them letters and say it definitely is them. I end up having to check the pits once weekly for fear of an overflow into my garden. It isn't nice. I am just grateful that whilst my neighbours are selfish, the water company come out within 3 hours to sort it.

clashofclanswidow Fri 22-Jul-16 11:49:45

Thanks all.

I tried all the unblockers, acids, wires and rods etc (even down the outside part as far down as we could get) and eventually had to call someone.

He came round and jetted it and said it possibly looks like one of the underground pipes have gone, so it needs digging up and replacing - had to call the Landlord anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now