Talk

Advanced search

Crown vs Dulux

(22 Posts)
youcancallmeEl Sat 28-Nov-15 20:44:19

Does anyone have a preference and if so why? Any difference in quality? Thanks.

lalalonglegs Sat 28-Nov-15 21:23:14

Dulux is best of all the big brands - goes on much better, white much cleaner than other makes. (Little Greene is best of the designer paints.)

CMOTDibbler Sat 28-Nov-15 21:27:46

I would always have said Dulux was the best, but I got some Valspar premium paint this week as part of the MN test, and it was better than Dulux

RingDownRingUp Sat 28-Nov-15 22:36:38

Same as CMOT, although it is more expensive than Dulux.

Crown is rubbish ime.

Bunbaker Sat 28-Nov-15 22:45:00

I have used both and liked both. Crown has less smell.

randomsabreuse Sat 28-Nov-15 22:50:16

Chose by colour - not much between them really as far as use went. Homebase own also similar.

Jibberjabberjooo Sat 28-Nov-15 22:51:32

Dulux.

Bunbaker Sat 28-Nov-15 22:55:37

B & Q own brand is horrible. It doesn't spread well and you need several coats. So avoid.

lalalonglegs Sat 28-Nov-15 23:01:23

Hmm, I used Valspar (possibly not the premium brand) and it was terrible. I had a colour I liked mixed (inevitably it was nothing like the colour I thought it would be) and it took about four coats to cover a magnolia wall adequately confused.

Cressandra Sat 28-Nov-15 23:03:26

Dulux is my preference but crown is fine if you prefer the colour.

Last time I checked, standard Dulux emulsion was recoatable in 2 hours whereas Crown was 4 hours. However I could be waaay out of date on that, and it doesn't apply to Endurance, kitchen paint etc.

SmellTheGlove Sun 29-Nov-15 18:41:38

Dulux trade paint is excellent. Worth every penny. Also Dulux endurance. That said, the guy who painted the outside of our house didn't rate the Dulux weather shield we got, and used Crown instead. I've just painted our dining room with Dulux trade diamond matt today as it happens, it looks great and only took 1 coat (over a mist coat on the plaster skim). Washable too!

mumsnit Thu 03-Dec-15 18:10:10

Also rate Valspar - literally hundreds of colours to choose from and I found coverage was good. Got a bit bored of the choice from Dulux and Crown!

namechangedtoday15 Thu 03-Dec-15 18:17:52

I'm with Lala, Valspar was terrible, just awful. May have been to do with the colour (red) but horrible to apply and really poor patchy coverage until about the 4th coat.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 04-Dec-15 18:22:05

B & Q own brand is horrible.

I've had B&C Colours everywhere paint and found it really good I covered a deep red wall with a turquoise and it barely needed a 2nd coat. Only ever used it on the wall though not on any other surface.

dontcallmelen Fri 04-Dec-15 20:26:24

Dulux over crown, designer paints Mylands far better than f&b/littlegreene
Diy store paint prefer homebase, much better than b&q/wickes.

BasinHaircut Sat 05-Dec-15 08:03:05

Always use deluxe and get colours mixed at the trade centre rather than buy off the shelf.

mumsnit Dulux have over a thousand colours to choose from! The colour cards they put out in the disay are only a selection but if you ask to see the full set there is literally any shade or colour you can imagine.

Truckingalong Sat 05-Dec-15 08:17:23

Marking place to come back and read in a fortnight when I start painting!

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 05-Dec-15 08:38:35

Basin, I have the colour code for one that they no longer produce a card for. I just take the code in and they mix it for me smile

wonkylegs Sat 05-Dec-15 08:48:10

Dulux - I tend to specify this and have it throughout my house, good coverage for all colours (I have black, white, deep red, grey and various shades of pale neutrals)
. I have one of the architects swatch books so have hundreds of colours to choose from but I tend to find that clients find that overwhelming so i tend to narrow down the choice before showing them.

Graciescotland Sat 05-Dec-15 08:57:33

I painted my bedroom in crown less than a year ago, managed to knock my coffee and grabbed a babywipe to mop up it took the paint off the wall. Not impressed so dulux for me. Used the valspar prememium on woodwork though and that worked well.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 05-Dec-15 09:01:01

Try vesta instead. MN have a product test thread going on and we've all had really good results.

I paintedbover dulex and you can see how much smoother and nicer finish it has. It also dries in an hour and doesn't smell.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 05-Dec-15 09:01:56

Valspar not vesta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now