Talk

Advanced search

Is Dulux Endurance worth the money?

(15 Posts)
Hobby2014 Fri 01-May-15 21:18:32

Just that really.
It's almost £27 for 2.5litres.
Have an 8 month old DS.
Happy to spend it if it's really durable and washable.

PigletJohn Fri 01-May-15 22:55:41

don't know, but it's on offer at B&Q this week.

I hear you may need an extra coat for good cover and obliteration, and that it dries quickly while you're working. I would use a similar colour in matt vinyl emulsion for the mist and first coat, so there is no patchiness in colour or absorbency, before using the expensive endurance. If a pale colour, matt white is usually cheapest for your mist and undercoat. You can practice your technique with the cheaper paint. Keep a clean wet sponge handy for drips and smears.

If you have bad marks that won't sponge off, it may go shiny if you use a scourer or magic eraser. I am not very fond of matt or eggshell where it may be touched, as it holds the dirt and is more difficult to clean than silk or satinwood.

Toounhappynow Fri 01-May-15 22:58:55

No. It doesn't work. Nice idea though.

I read your thread title as "Durex Endurance"

T'was an eyewatering thought!

Hobby2014 Fri 01-May-15 23:06:41

PigletJohn - pardon? grin
What's a mist? Another undercoat? An under-undercoat?
Walls are currently biscuit-y coloured and want to paint it a pale green - it's called willow something.

Too wink I did have to think twice and check before I posted!

I'm wondering if I'm better off using any paint but just touching it up if marks appear that I can't get off without smudging the paint?

Hobby2014 Fri 01-May-15 23:07:10

Oh and thank you both blushsmile

buddhasbelly Fri 01-May-15 23:08:32

just came on to post i'm glad i'm not the only one that read durex endurance...'tis a lonely friday night for me!!!

WhatCanIChange Fri 01-May-15 23:10:50

It's awful stuff! I am currently trying to paint my new kitchen walls. It's a pale pink and I am trying to cover it with white. Four fucking coats so far and it still looks a bit patchy!!!!!! FOUR COATS! Four! angry

reallybadidea Fri 01-May-15 23:12:41

I've had far better results with the Homebase own brand wipeable version. Much more limited choice of colours, but if you can find one you like then I would recommend it over Dulux. The kitchen/diner is painted with Homebase and it gets wiped down regularly and still looks good. The hall which is Endurance is a sorry sight.

duckbilled Fri 01-May-15 23:13:37

I have it in the playroom, was a bit of a pain to roller on as its a weird texture. After a second coat it looks great, and I have wiped various crafty things/bodily fluids off with no damage.
I am going to use it for the hallways and dd's bedroom next smile

PigletJohn Fri 01-May-15 23:24:03

A mist coat is used on bare plaster (which is very absorbent). It is thinned with water so it soaks in and kills the suction. You do not need it on previously painted walls, except on any bare patches or filler.

pud1 Fri 01-May-15 23:24:23

I have it through out and find it great. I didn't piant it on so I can't comment about application but it wipes down really well.

goingtotown Fri 01-May-15 23:24:36

Dulux Diamond Trade Emulsion is far superior to Endurance. Ten times tougher than standard emulsion. This is perfect for high traffic areas as it doesn't go shiney when wiped. Expensive but worth it. Limited colours with Endurance, with Diamond you can have any colour mixed at Dulux shops.

Hobby2014 Sat 02-May-15 11:14:19

Thanks all.
I think I might just use own brand kitchen or bathroom paint like I've used already as they wipe down well and were much cheaper. I really thought everyone would say it's totally worth the money so am quite surprised a well known brand isn't that great.

mandy214 Sat 02-May-15 20:26:57

We have it in the hall stairs & landing and think it's great. With 3 children who just do not understand the concept of not touching the walls with sticky / dirty hands, it's been a godsend.

ElsieMc Sun 03-May-15 14:40:50

The best matt paint we have used recently is B and Q's own brand which was colours everywhere. I think they may have changed this now.

Painted GS 1s bedroom with two coats and the colour was rich and covered very well. It does not seem to mark was much as the dulux one I used in my kitchen which is absolutely awful. Be warned.

The only problem you tend to get with own brand such as this is the limited range of colours. This was a New England blue, but some of the other colours were cringeworthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now