Talk

Advanced search

B&Q kitchens? Has anyone got one?

(21 Posts)
Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 11:03:50

Have given up trying to build the whole thing out of timber and ordered some cheap B&Q units plus the 'Santini' doors (IT kitchens) in grey gloss.

It's a tiny kitchen so we only need a couple of units, the other half of it is a deep alcove so I'll be boxing that in to join alongside the units. (she says with more than a measure of optimism)

Finding it difficult to tell from the website what the grey looks like, as their picture seems to make it look like cream?

If anyone has anything good or bad to say about B&Q stuff I'd be glad to hear it smile

fluffygreentail Mon 13-Apr-15 11:23:30

we have a white gloss one which we out in 3 years ago. im on the fence with b and q: god enough on a budget but could be better.

its lovely and bright but above the hob, on the side panels if the cupboards between the extractor hood, the white gloss has gone bubbly on the bottom edge. the bubble goes up about 3 mm into the side panel. no one notices though. its obv from the steam when boiling pasta etc.

dh likes the quality of the carcasses.

the delivery was mediocre - some incorrect bits delivered and then time taken to collect and re deliver correct stuff but this didnt really cause a problem as dh and father in law were fitting units only.

the grey sounds lovely - like a taupe grey.

Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 11:33:06

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Well I hope it's lovely - I wasn't sure about white as I have very dirty children, and cream might look odd with white appliances so I went for grey.

I'm never impressed with their website tbh as they don't provide enough information, but it's within budget and I have seen that the reviews of the actual units are great, which sounds like it might be true if you think they're good too smile

fluffygreentail Mon 13-Apr-15 11:36:52

we have two under 5 and they have stayed clean! bit of dusting every couple of months (!). red wine and tea splats found after the event have actually wiped off without stains. dont know how that has happened.

yes, the website is painful!

Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 11:38:48

Oh this is reassuring...thank you again. Did you get the IT doors or the Cooke and Lewis? I think I have gone for the cheapest option!

fluffygreentail Mon 13-Apr-15 11:47:05

yes IT but not the cheapest gloss white ones - there were three IT styles in 2012 when we put ours in. good luck

Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 11:51:36

Oh cool - there seem to be the same range now, I've gone for the middle ones.

Fingers crossed smile

fackinell Mon 13-Apr-15 11:52:51

We have the Cooke and Lewis at B&Q avocado and cream units. They look great and have no probs other than gloss is a bugger to clean without smears.

LineRunner Mon 13-Apr-15 11:54:28

When I went to look at their stuff 'in store' the colours all seemed a bit different to those on the website. Can you get a sample sent, if you don't have a store nearby?

Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 11:59:24

Oh in a way I'm glad if the colour is different - it isn't very clear on the picture. they have a cream, a white, an anthracite and a grey which I am surmising is a light grey.

We have a store about 7 miles away so when we have the car back I'll go and see if they have this one on display. It's funny, I've never had a fitted kitchen so have spent my life ignoring the displays everywhere and suddenly I need a kitchen, and am clueless!

Marmitelover55 Mon 13-Apr-15 16:54:45

I had s big of a nightmare with them last year. I only needed a few white gloss units, worktop and sink for my small utility room. They promised to deliver it on a Wednesday and I had the builder booked for Thursday. Nothing arrived and I spent sling time on the phone tracking if down. Builder cancelled last minute and sad. Promised delivery following week but only half of it arrived. More chasing and when last bits arrived one panel was damaged. We also had a kitchen fitted a few weeks later and the quality is not comparable. The B&Q units feel very flimsy by comparison. Would not use them again.

Marmitelover55 Mon 13-Apr-15 16:55:17

Kitchen nog from B&Q by the way!

Psipsina Mon 13-Apr-15 17:06:38

Oh yikes. Sorry to hear that. May I ask where you got your new kitchen from?

stonecircle Mon 13-Apr-15 17:51:12

B&Q kitchen fitted almost a year ago - and I absolutely love it. Tall cream gloss units - seem very solid (went for the more expensive range though). They fitted too and did a fantastic job - but charged ludicrous amounts for fitting. I made the mistake of looking at the itemised fitting costs and nearly fainted!

Two things I would change -

One is I wouldn't bother with the Britta water filter tap. It never gets used because it runs slowly (we have low water pressure) so nobody bothers with it, they just use the cold tap.

Secondly - I wouldn't get a high gloss glass (?) hob - forever trying to keep it clean and smear-free

Marmitelover55 Mon 13-Apr-15 17:54:06

Sorry about iPhone typos. I used a local kitchen company - I'm in bristol if that's any good?

Nobloomingideapgornot Mon 13-Apr-15 18:00:42

hi we had a b and q solid oak kitchen fitted by b and q at our old house 5 years ago, it all went smoothly and our fitter was brilliant.

however their current range is very limited and i wouldnt go there again as their new planning sytem is rubbish!

We have spent hours in WREN and they have been brilliant and much better on price, with tons more choice, ours is being delivered thursday

although durability wise, the old b and q litchen still looked amazing and hardly used!

Asifm1989 Sat 28-Jan-17 22:07:15

This isn't kitchen related but my wife bought a Cooke and Lewis bathroom mirrored storage cabinet. It's around 2 years old and earlier today we heard a massive bang in the bathroom. The mirror which is attached to the cabinet with glue had fallen off and smashed into the sink causing the sink to literary crack where it fell. Thank good no one was in the bathroom at that time or there could have been serious injury. Called B and Q and spoke to the manager. Was fobbed off so decided to Email in and hopefully speak to someone who can help. Totally unacceptable. I'd personally stay clear of B&Q

WeAllHaveWings Sat 28-Jan-17 22:20:26

We have the Cooke & Lewis range, first couple of years it was ok,but 5 years on you can tell it's cheap and nasty, soft close hinges doors have dropped or don't soft close anymore, close inwards/don't line up so basically look offline.

Handles have gone loose and don't tighten up. Doors have easily dented.

Their black laminate work top is very easily scratched and discoloured.

Wish I'd spent more and went elsewhere.

Dominithecat Sat 28-Jan-17 22:32:58

Ours is 2 years old now, cream gloss. It's not cooke and Lewis so it's the other one. We fitted ourselves, we have two dogs and small children visit often. Love that the marks just wipe off easy.
We got white goods wherever was cheapest at the time, but oven and hob were a package deal in b and Q about a month before we bought kitchen.
We got the worktop elsewhere ( butcher's block) just because that's what we wanted.

Gramgram Sat 28-Jan-17 23:06:25

Cooke and Lewis kitchen here, fitted by B & Q. Can't fault it or the guy that fitted it, we were replacing a very old kitchen and needed the old pantry knocking down and new ceiling and electrics. Everything went to plan and the team kept us informed very step of the way. We would use them again.

CointreauVersial Sun 29-Jan-17 01:01:09

Old thread......but our Cooke & Lewis white gloss kitchen still looks immaculate seven years after being installed.

I can't say the same about the appliances, though - the microwave and the extractor gave up the ghost pretty quickly, and the under-cabinet lights are pretty shonky too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now