Talk

Advanced search

Harvey Jones Linear Kitchen

(21 Posts)
agnesrose86 Mon 02-Feb-15 07:38:48

Has anyone got a harvey jones linear kitchen recently? Doing some research online, they seem to vary massively in price i.e quote very high in the first instance and then come down up to 50% depending on how much you haggle. I am trying to budget for our very small kitchen (8 units max). Anyone know how much I should expect to pay?

hangoninaminute Mon 02-Feb-15 10:09:46

We got an initial quote from them for the shaker kitchen. A double base cupboard is £1127. This is without any discount. In January they had a sale on for 15% off. The sale was just discounted kitchen furniture so not on appliances and work tops. We had to pay £1000 in order to secure the discount but we aren't in a position yet to make our final decision on which kitchen we want. I've read too about them ringing back to offer more discount and they were ringing and ringing us last Friday and Saturday and they could have been ringing about this. I did not take the call as since our first meeting our designer suddenly went far too hard sell and it has really put us off.

agnesrose86 Mon 02-Feb-15 13:19:42

That's what I'd heard about them. It's a shame because I really love the linear kitchen and can't find anything like it.

hangoninaminute Mon 02-Feb-15 13:41:30

It is a shame. We've managed to find another company who will do us a shaker kitchen which will look just like the Harvey Jones one. And I've also found a few companies online who will do us shaker doors so we would need to provide the carcass. I also found local companies who did hand painted kitchens. The research pays off in the end so keep going :-)

agnesrose86 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:29:44

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience of Devol?

hangoninaminute Mon 02-Feb-15 17:15:23

I don't I'm afraid - just that I think their kitchens are beautiful!

Chapuys Mon 02-Feb-15 17:40:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

agnesrose86 Mon 02-Feb-15 18:46:34

Oo thanks that's really helpful. Any idea on price range for john lewis of hungerford?

Chapuys Mon 02-Feb-15 19:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brumeye Tue 03-Feb-15 13:44:40

We had a quote for Harvey Jones linear. Initial price was high (think £28k inc appliances for mid-sized kitchen). We thought that was too high and had a few months before extension was ready, so we told them we'd leave it.

We then had 5 calls over the next 2 weeks with increasingly hard sell - by the end of it they were offering 40% off ("but only if you sign by 5pm")! By then we were so annoyed with them that we refused and decided to go for John Lewis of Hungerford instead.

Their urban range is almost identical to Linear. Very good quality solid oak drawers. Good feel to the whole thing. However we've decided to go for Pure instead which is a handleless range with really smart oak trim behind the "handle bit". We don't have our quote yet but are expecting 20k+ on what friends have said (hope we can get discount on that!).

https://www.pinterest.com/JLofhungerford/pure-kitchen/

staverton Tue 03-Feb-15 13:54:04

Yes I have one!
I LOVE it and have found it to be v good quality
They have also been really good about coming back to fix stuff
I got 40% off by holding out

agnesrose86 Wed 04-Feb-15 08:25:20

Thanks Staverton, that's what I wanted to hear. Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid in the end? Any tips for getting the biggest discount?

staverton Wed 04-Feb-15 11:27:24

I will dig it out
We didn't pay VAT though as it was an alteration to a listed building
Everyone comments on how lovely it is

frumpypigskin Sat 07-Feb-15 16:14:37

We are looking into a new kitchen at the moment and Harvey Jones Linear would be the one we would choose if we could afford it. I think it's beautiful.

The quality seems really good. The downside is the pricing. Not so much that they are expensive (they are) but the lack of transparency about their costs.

We were quoted £31k for a Linear kitchen. They came down 40% which I think is standard but it was still too expensive for us. The problem I have is that they didn't come back and ask how they could make the kitchen affordable for us i.e. change some of the drawer units to highline cupboards which would be cheaper but instead badgered us with phonecalls for weeks asking us to put a deposit down or we would miss the 'deal'.

Have a look at Higham. They are excellent to deal with.

Good luck!

agnesrose86 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:59:47

Thank you for the link to Higham. I actually have loads of their kitchens in my ideas book (I sound so sad!) but didn't know who the designer/manufacturer was. I am waiting for them to get back to me. I will get a quote from harvey jones and possibly devol too.

cho Sun 15-Mar-15 20:18:42

Agnes rose86 we went to the devol show room yesterday and I am currently getting a kitchen designed by them. The whole experience yesterday was a delight. A 3 hour consultation meeting was a total pleasure. Usually by the first hour I start to lose patience. Cotes mill is a fabulous place , I would highly recommend,... Although haven't had the quote yet!!!

Lovethelife Mon 10-Aug-15 14:06:40

We are also looking for a kitchen which is like Harvey Jones linear but cheaper. The John Lewis of Hungerford looks good but will probably be above our budget. Harvey Jones offered 25% off but no more.
We have looked at Mereway kitchens who also provide kitchens for John Lewis who have a very similar design at a much cheaper price but we didn't like the horizontal grain. We are going to try 'unpainted kitchens' next.
Does anyone have any other ideas or recommendations please?

leeisles Mon 27-Feb-17 20:06:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

suzyrut Tue 28-Feb-17 09:38:32

Hi,

Couldn't afford the Harvey Jones linear so I looked around. Magnet are doing a similar in frame flat panel one (newbury) in either white or grey.
www.magnet.co.uk/kitchens/all-kitchens/newbury-grey/

And also the 1909 inframe flat slab one looks similar. Units online do that one and they have a great reputation on here. They do more colours too.

www.unitsonline.co.uk/1909-kitchens

Sadly I still couldn't afford either so had to go with a diy kitchens matt handleless because everything else has come in so much more expensive in our refurb but hey ho, next time maybe.

Ramona75 Wed 01-Mar-17 06:55:06

Don't be sad suzyrat. I got my handle-less kitchen from there and it is spot on!

suzyrut Wed 01-Mar-17 11:51:02

Thanks Ramona

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now